Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: By accident I laid my 800GS down...couldn't pick it up!

By accident I laid my 800GS down...couldn't pick it up!

It is always an embarrassing moment when you lay your bike down, it happened to me recently when I mis-judged the slant in the pavement in a parking lot while turning around. After I put my foot down I realized my mistake and couldn't support the heavy bike so down we went. I was surprised that I couldn't pick it up. Fortunately a good samaritan saw my problem and assisted me. Later when i got home I purposely laid the bike down in my yard, ever so gently, to practice picking it up. To my chagrin I couldn't pick it up. So, I enlisted one of my sons who picked it up for me. After doing so he told me he didn't' think he could do it again......right away.

So folks, what do you do....is there a secret to pick it up? I searched a number of Youtube video's which showed women picking up Harleys by backing into them and picking them up. But in all cases the bike were not flat on the ground. I'd really appreciate some "how to tips". Thanks

Yeah it's like the up on the centerstand thing. You just have to get the hang of it. I haven't seen the videos on Youtube but if you have a chance to see the DVD called Ride Like a Pro with Jerry "Motorman" Palladino you can see some great techniques. One of the keys is frequently having the bike in gear so it doesn't "run away" while your in the middle of the lift. A little practice and you will be fine. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

The way to pick up any bike is to put it in gear, get your butt under the bike as much as possible and then walk it backwards, pushing the bike with your butt. Be careful not to let it get over center.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

HONDARIDER
    I'm sure the videos tell the story best, but basically one hand on the low end of the handlebar...butt or back against the seat...other hand on the rear passenger rail or rack or fender. The key is to lift with your legs and not your back. It should be quite easy for an 800. I just recently dropped my new 1200GSA and had to get some practice in on this one. Once the position was right, it was remarkable how little effort it took to lift the bike.

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Adrenalin. I got off my RT and realized the side stand was not down and over we went. As quickly as I could I jumped up and just heaved with all my might and to my surprise up it came.

Have you heard of Skert's method of picking up a bike? She does presentations at national rallies:

You put your butt up to the seat, you grab the handlebar and the grab bar, you do little teeny tiny baby steps while lifting the bike up.

I learned a lesson by picking this bike up that day:

I went and got my bike and lifted my own bike right after:

And I didn't think that was enough practice and had to end up lifting another bike up later that night...

End results, I lifted too many bikes as I knocked my ribs out as I was hurting.

Moral of the story: With my side bags, there was a chance I can lift my bike up but without bags.... not even a chance. I am too tiny I don't have leverage.

I now have a new bike... I haven't even thought about lifting it up. If I have to, I hope I can.

I think the answer is don't try to use your back...... use your legs... little tiny steps... I was surprised... just have to make sure do it right. I am sure there are people who may have their own or better tatics. I just need to find mine when the time comes.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Footing Surface

I notice that the videos and photos of "how to lift a bike" demonstrations always have the bike on a nice hard, flat surface such as pavement or concrete, or on a rubber mat. While it makes for a nice demonstration, it's not representative of some of the worst case scenarios.

I dropped my bike on a sloping, pea-gravel-covered scenic pull off along the Million Dollar Highway one day, and found it impossible to lift without assistance. Of course, at 5'6" and 165 lbs, I'm not exactly the ideal specimen to be lifting a 550 lb bike. Stopping on a sloping, gravel parking area is something I try to avoid!!
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Curmudgeon in training
    If your technique is good and you're on solid ground, the bike comes right up. If your technique isn't so good (because you don't do it often) or the surface is slippery (like standing on pea gravel on hard packed dirt), it's pretty easy to strain your back. If you do strain your back, you'll probably be able to ride home that day, but the next week or so can be rough.

IMO, the best approach is to understand and even practice the technique (with some help), so you know how to do it, but if you drop the bike somewhere, ask for a hand. Do it by yourself as a last resort when there is no help.

Wow! What a wonderful response

Thank you all for responding in such a positive manner. I am going to try these ideas out for sure. God Love You All!

Quote Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
    So folks, what do you do....is there a secret to pick it up? I searched a number of Youtube video's which showed women picking up Harleys by backing into them and picking them up. But in all cases the bike were not flat on the ground. I'd really appreciate some "how to tips". Thanks
    A lighter bike helps.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Easiest way to pick up a bike is to ask for help.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    hmmm... I wonder why this is called "how not to"...?

this is how I pick up mine.

Now, I must say that it works better with an opposed twin, since they don't fall over so far and the bars are easier to place into the proper position.

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
    I notice that the videos and photos of "how to lift a bike" demonstrations always have the bike on a nice hard, flat surface such as pavement or concrete, or on a rubber mat. While it makes for a nice demonstration, it's not representative of some of the worst case scenarios.
    I bought a Dakar because I wanted a "light" GS. When this thing is lying on it's side it is anything but light.

I ride trails like this near my house and I pick it up a lot:

One afternoon I went down in a particularly nasty section of trail near my house. There was no way I was getting it up by myself. I walked to my garage and collected some rope, caribiners, and a small block and tackle. After attaching the block and tackle to a tree and to my bike, I was able to lift the bike easily. I have added this equipment to my tail bag, and have it with me most of the time. Granted, I need something to tie to, hopefully 60' of rope will be enough.

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182