Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: S1000 Sales Halted!

S1000 Sales Halted!

What gives? My boss is also co-owner of the local BMW dealership and told me that they have been instructed to halt all sales of the s1000, any models in stock are to be removed from the floor and anyone with a deposit pending is to be told the unit has been delayed until further notice from Germany.

Check over on the Pelican forum, some rumor about bad connecting rods and each bike in a certain VIN range have to be pulled and inspected, so goes the rumor.

Internet...what's that???

Unhappy No Rumor

Just stopped by my dealer and it isn't a rumor. The FAQ sheet I got says app. 1414 2012 S1000rr's are affected, produced between Sep.1 2011 and April 10, 2012. Sadly, mine was built Nov. 2011 - decode your VIN to find out.
    However, dealer says a lot more were produced than 1414 so it may not affect every S1000rr produced during that time window. Awaiting phone call Monday to see if mine is affected.

Bit disappointing, as I am totally not comfortable with the possibility of engine seizure and / or oil under a seized rear tire as a result. Mine'll be parked in the garage until I find out. Especially since it's made to ride "spiritedly."

I should at least have the TL back together in the next week or 2, and the GS as always is a reliable pal.
    Cheers / Robert
    2010 R1200GSA (Yellow/Black)
    2000 Suzuki TL1000S
    2012 S1000RR

The S1000RR has a slipper clutch. If the engine seized the rear shouldn't seize with it.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Was speaking with our local service manager yesterday.
    Apparantly there is a robot that torques the rod bolts. At some point during the production run it malfunctioned and did not torque them tight enough. They are trying to find out when the torque changed so they will know what bikes were produced after the malfunction.

He said they seem to like to come apart at 13,000 rpm.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

3 pts to BMW for catching this and taking immediate steps to deal with it.

I've run highly automated production plans with robotic stuff and one of the amusements of this stuff is though it is very reproducible if working well and saves human labor - when it goofs off you may not know it unless you have real time sensors for the function that are independent of the action mechanism. Apparently their device lacks this (or they ould have caught it immediately and no bad product would have been made) and they found out the hard way from field failures. At the factory, the remedy is easy but this will be a pita for them in the field so congrats for dealing with it even though its initially painful.

Its the right thing to do for both customers and the firms reputation but sometimes firms lose that perspective. Points to them for clear thinking.

Engine Seizure

Yes, agree on the slipper (great btw) but that's what the advisory said at dealer. I haven't seen this motor apart but I would guess it is remotely possible in the underwriting sense if a piece of metal ended up in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time...

I know they'll do a good job fixing if the problem is on my ride; however the thought of having a brand new motor apart to the cylinders removed and / or case split point does give me a slight bit of angst.

At present (though I am sure all the info hasn't come out yet), my VIN isn't on the recall list...seems good news but I'll stop sweating when all of the info is out
    Cheers / Robert
    2000 Suzuki TL1000S
    2012 S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    Yes, agree on the slipper (great btw) but that's what the advisory said at dealer.
    It's also not a great comfort for me to sit here and say that if your engine locks up and is destroyed, at least the wheel won't lock up! "Gee, great, thanks for that, I feel so much better now!"

Good luck on it and keep us posted.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    It's also not a great comfort for me to sit here and say that if your engine locks up and is destroyed, at least the wheel won't lock up! "Gee, great, thanks for that, I feel so much better now!"

Good luck on it and keep us posted.
    Actually it's not about the rear wheel locking, but trying to stay up with oil pouring over the tire and road in front of the tire.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I'm With Him!

Just don't like the idea of it! It's brand new and shouldn't have to be apart, and also introduces the possibility of further issues. MY TL engine is currently out for a rebuild/bore/compression up treatment but is 12 years old and I paid 3500.00 for it. Obviously not a case for worry in that case.

Has anyone seen a complete list of VIN's affected yet?
    Cheers / Robert
    2000 Suzuki TL1000S
    2012 S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    Has anyone seen a complete list of VIN's affected yet?
    Robert, I don't think there's going to be a VIN list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    Was speaking with our local service manager yesterday.
    Apparantly there is a robot that torques the rod bolts. At some point during the production run it malfunctioned and did not torque them tight enough. They are trying to find out when the torque changed so they will know what bikes were produced after the malfunction.
    If Ken's service manager's report is true, then there was an intermittent robot malfunction between September 2011 and April 2012. Because the fault was intermittent, only some bikes built between those dates were assembled with incorrectly-torqued rod bolts. Because it can't be determined if a particular bike built within that time period was assembled correctly or incorrectly, all bikes in that range must be torn down and reassembled.

I'd feel unhappy about having my machine torn down, but I'd be unhappier if it failed.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I haven't looked into it carefully, but isn't there a pan on the bottom of the engine so "tear down" seems a little strong for what it may require to torque the bod bolts.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I haven't looked into it carefully, but isn't there a pan on the bottom of the engine so "tear down" seems a little strong for what it may require to torque the bod bolts.

I haven't looked into it at all, but it was sure easier to type "torn down" instead of "drop the pan, retorque the rod bolts, or remove and replace and retorque the bolts if they're one-time-use fasteners, then replace the pan." Or even more, if it's harder to do.

When someone actually has their bike in to the dealer to have the work done, we'll find out what "the work" actually entails.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post

I haven't looked into it at all, but it was sure easier to type "torn down" instead of "drop the pan, retorque the rod bolts, or remove and replace and retorque the bolts if they're one-time-use fasteners, then replace the pan." Or even more, if it's harder to do.

When someone actually has their bike in to the dealer to have the work done, we'll find out what "the work" actually entails.
    Sure.
    My other bike is a BMW.

"Tear down" applies to chebbies and their ilk and the mechanics that know no better.

For BMWs it's "disassemble," isn't it?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S