Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Padded riding shorts..............................

Hybrid View

Padded riding shorts..............................

Friends,

I suffer from a medical condition known as "NOASSATOL". I am in need of padded riding shorts to compensate for my skinny behind. I am not looking for ballistic armor as I have that in my riding pants, I'm simply in need of padding. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Will

I know the pain which you speak of.
    I've done the following things to help me on the long rides:
    1.) ButtBuffer pad installed inside my stock seat. They cut the foam & re-upholster it to look good as new.
    2.) LDComfort riding shorts. Don't leave home w/out them!
    3.) BeadRider seat cover.

Works for me. I just did a 1500 mile stretch in under 24 hours with minimal complaint. I've read where the padded shorts that bicyclists use are not appropriate for MC use.
    -Scott
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2006 BMW R1200RT "Pacific Coast II"

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama
    Go to REI or your favorite such store and buy some bicycle shorts.. easy enough

Fredricks of Hollywood...

ozonewanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by 41077 View Post
    Fredricks of Hollywood...
    What a great idea!!!

Ibuprofen and get off and stretch every 90-120 minutes or so. I take two IB before I start riding, so the inflammation doesn't even get started.

I also like LD-Rider underwear. Tried the bike shorts and it didn't work for me, felt like I'd dumped a load. As far as beads - they turn 4 very painful spots into 1000 very painful spots for me. Russell seat - owned 3 of them - can't say they were a miracle - they helped a bit. Sargent seat - have one now I like, had one made a number of years ago that I hated. Sheepskin - see load in the pants feeling. Airhawk or FreedomAire - both help as much as anything can. I see the latest Airhawks now have taken the male anatomy into account.. the one I had moved the pain from by buttocks forward. FreedomAir worked well right out of the box..

BUT - nothing beats Ibuprofen for me on an all day ride. Strangely - if it's a multi-day ride, usually by day-3 I really need very little IB.. seems my butt and seat sort of get to a truce by the 3rd day and stop bugging me.

NOTE: I am not an MD. I don't recommend you take anything for riding, I'm just telling you what I use. YMMV. All sales are final.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr_Eugen View Post
    Go to REI or your favorite such store and buy some bicycle shorts.. easy enough
    +1 on the bike shorts, works for me on long trips.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Bicycle shorts don't work... at least for me.. On a bicycle you sit on a different part of YOUR "seat".... I tried them.. . not any better... but worst in some respects....

Ed Kilner #176066

Beadrider?

Small bum - me too.

Do you feel the individual bumps using it?

Reports say the thing works, but can you say a bit more?
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Small bum - me too.

Do you feel the individual bumps using it?

Reports say the thing works, but can you say a bit more?
    I have a cheapo Wally World bead seat on my bike. had to customize it but simple enough. Yes, they work excellent for those of use with boney behinds! You do 'feel' them but it is comfortable. Biggest benefit is with just a 1/2 inch movement of your butt, you have relieved pressure and applied it to a new location. I and promise you will no longer be a member of the 'soggy bottom boys' , which is the major cause of monkey butt.

BTW, wally world seat cover was $7.95 so cheap to try it!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

dude987
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkyle View Post
    Bicycle shorts don't work... at least for me.. On a bicycle you sit on a different part of YOUR "seat".... I tried them.. . not any better... but worst in some respects....
    +1 Tried bicycle padded shorts and it did not work. Actually made it more painful.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
    +1 Tried bicycle padded shorts and it did not work. Actually made it more painful.
    More evidence that everyone is different. They work find for me. Don't make a huge difference though.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Every bum is different, but I'll share my experience with wooden beads on a 3500 mile ride. I liked them in the rain and in the high heat and humidity of the South. They kept rain from pooling on the saddle and kept air flowing over the boys. Also, sliding back and forth across them was like having a loved one scratch my butt. Felt great!

On the minus side, I find them really uncomfortable on a firm seat after a while. I had a Corbin at the time, and it really was like sitting on pebbles.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I took a beaded seat and an AirHawk when I was doing 500-900 mile days on my LT. I would go 225-275 miles and stop for gas. When I stopped I would change what I was sitting on.

That changed pressure points and made the longer days more comfortable.

I have yet to do more than 350 miles in a day on the RS, but plan to do some seat changes like I did on the LT.

Also tried a gel pad, but did not care for it. A sheepskin was an improvement until it got wet, so I ditched that concept after a while. I had a complete sheepskin, legs and all that was dyed a reddish blond...my daughters called it Lassie. It took care of both rider and pillion.

I have not found bicycle shorts or some of the motorcycle britches in big enough sizes for my current circumference.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

I saw a lady at a rally recently with a product called "Butt Buddy" that looked interesting. You might google it. It attaches by straps to the seat.