Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Former/Current HD Riders

Tonk
    I have an R12R, and in terms of pure fun to ride it beats any of the Harleys I've owned hands down. It's also better in cold weather (versus a Harley touring bike). That said, I truly miss my Harley. But I also love the BMW.

Mean looker!

That blacked out HD is real sinister looking. You should black out the GSA too, have twins. I think BMW does the engines in black on some year models. My GSA is the '07 one, white/red. I still cannot afford the HD sitting alongside it. I do have a Airhead ClassicR100/7 and KLR650 sharing space. My HD would be the Ultra BIG boy at 20G$ plus, so I weep. Randy

I'm going to throw out a wild card. How about one of the V-Rod models? Specifically how about a Night Rod Special, the VRSCDX, more commonly abbreviated just a "DX". They come with forward controls but there is a mid control kit using the parts for the discontinued D model that puts the foot controls in a position not much different than an old R-100s minus some leg room. It is low enough to be comfortable for riders of short stature. Better yet, find a low mile used Street Rod. They are around, and if you poke around there are still a few left over new '06's and '07's in some dealers waiting for the right customer.
    In addition to 3 1/2 Beemers in the garage (the 1/2 is a project K-RT thingamabob being scraped together from used parts of various vintage K bikes) there are a pair of Harley Street Rods. One is bone stock, the other is modded and will be even more modded in the future (Ohlins is prototyping adjustable fork cartridges for it, who could resist?).
    V-Rods, especially with mid controls, are fine motorcycles, far better than any of the other HD products. Riding one you will find they have a distinctly German feel to them, which is to be expected as the content of the engine and gearbox is mostly German components from the same supplier base BMW uses (Mahle, Schrick, Getrag, etc.)
    For me at least, I cannot ride a Road Glide or other such HD bagger for more than thirty minutes before my back is screaming in pain. The riding position with the low seat and feet up in front of me, arms outstretched, does not work for me. It feels like riding an old 1970's Honda with the seat removed. And lets be honest, they are achingly slow motorcycles. Riding one reminds me of trying to hustle and old VW Combi. There's not much to work with.
    But a V-Rod is a fast bike and the Street Rod I can ride all day, and I frequently use it for the trip from California to Utah for World Superbike. I always use it for the run to Laguna Seca, just to mess with sport bike riders on Coast Highway. Oh yeah, it handles really good with lots of cornering clearance and a nice, all of a piece feel. The suspension and brakes are fine out of the box, and certainly better than many stock BMW set ups. The Street Rod's brakes are simply awesome. Steering feel is superior. With a windshield, the Sundowner Seat, magnetic tank bag, rear seat bag from Chase Harper and the accessory soft luggage ("Sport Saddlebags") it travels well.
    Last edited by 42906; 06-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    I'll echo this and just add not just "good-looking", but good quality as well. A lot of old school motorcyclists mistakenly think HD's quality is poor. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think of my GS as more of an "interesting" looking motorcycle as opposed to good looking. It's a blast to ride though
    I still laugh out loud thinking about the old BMW add that showed a GS head on being cornered on the valve cover with the tag line "It looks even uglier when it passes you".

You should have seen the look on the face of one of my V-Rod riding friends when he saw the old R-80GS I just acquired next to the Street Rod in my garage.

On a Ride
    Ahhh... Enjoyed a VRSCDX, and before that a VRSCA, for many years. And I actually got a kick out of the forward controls ergos. Not to mention the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Ahhh... Enjoyed a VRSCDX, and before that a VRSCA, for many years. And I actually got a kick out of the forward controls ergos. Not to mention the performance.

DX's are beautiful looking bikes but having air blow up the legs of my jeans and dragging the heel of my boot on corners was just too weird.

I was thinking of the 2012 DX:

I like the sportier rear fender of the 2012 model.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    DX's are beautiful looking bikes but having air blow up the legs of my jeans and dragging the heel of my boot on corners was just too weird.

Ahhh, I don't ride with jeans; I'd lift my heels slightly when needing to do so, and when roads really tightened up I was astride a more suitable bike. But on certain roads/rides, the DX was in its element like few bikes could be.

Oh.. I know that zone/feeling!

"certain roads/rides... in their element like few bikes could be" ... my Road Glide
    in top gear, two lane road at 55 - 65mph; often somewhere I've never been & I'm
    enjoying the road/scenery for all its worth.... priceless!!! And same here...no jeans.
    01FLTR
    04R1150R

my single seat springer likes me just fine

would have to say quality, ridability and reliability are the same. i'd take either one anywhere. one's faster, one's cooler and patriotic... about 10k mi. on each

Last edited by f14rio; 06-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

On a Ride
    "certain roads/rides... in their element like few bikes could be" ... my Road Glide
    in top gear, two lane road at 55 - 65mph; often somewhere I've never been & I'm
    enjoying the road/scenery for all its worth.... priceless!!! And same here...no jeans.
    flyhi... Same with the FLHX here.

A pure pleasure to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mind is not for rent
    Between a little pleasure riding and commuting a couple of days, I've managed to put almost 1,000 miles on my Night Train this week. While I do love the bike and I'll never part with it, I've gotten so spoiled by the ride, handling, brakes, acceleration, and relative silence of the GS/A.

Funny thing though is that from a tactile standpoint, the Adventure has that same tingle through the bars, pegs, and seat that the Softail does. They're really more similar than a lot of people like to admit.

Harley's aren't ultra fast and they handle just ok. Nevertheless my 2004 Super Glide Sport brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. On a ride from WV to Colorado and back it never missed a beat and was really a pleasant ride to tour on.

14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Harley's aren't ultra fast and they handle just ok. Nevertheless my 2004 Super Glide Sport brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. On a ride from WV to Colorado and back it never missed a beat and was really a pleasant ride to tour on.

I was so close to getting an FXDX when I bought my 'Train. In hindsight, the DX would have been the better choice.

my take

I had a 05 HD and an 03 Suzuki Burgman-the Burgman was superior in every way so the HD was sold at a great loss, so much for the great resale value. I don't regret the experience, just the big loss financially. Could have had a real nice airhead for half of what I had in the HD. Live and learn.