Thread: hard starting r80rt when cold

J.R.

hard starting r80rt when cold

Any time it's below 50?? f, it takes 30-90 seconds of cranking starter to start. Choke seems to never help. Replaced starter and battery. On a warm day it starts immediately. Any thoughts?

Has this always been a problem or did it just start? The first place I'd look is to check the operation of the choke and what happens at the carb. It's possible that the chokes (aka enricheners) are not actually engaging or partially so.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

J.R.
    Owned it 5 years and always been that way. I'll check choke and carbs.

hard starting

my 86 r80rt was hard to start until I will give it little gas just about 1/8 turn on the gas,after that it would start right up,

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxie View Post
    my 86 r80rt was hard to start until I will give it little gas just about 1/8 turn on the gas,after that it would start right up,
    Ill agree with this, my 85 needs just a touch , little touch of throttle and choke full on if very cold and or been a while since started.

If not so cold ( I dont think 50 is so cold) my bike actually starts easier with the choke not full on and no fuel

Ive read of people twisting full on and off the trhottle is doing nothing for these bikes, they dont have accelerator pumps like an old chevy

however, someplace I have read that having the throttle open is not needed. I think I even read that in the owners manual years back

You need to crack the throttle open a bit when cranking.

Also, verify no vacuum leaks.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I agree with the other guys, mine needs half choke and fires right off if its above 45F or so. When its in the 30's or below I give it full choke, as it fires a liitle help with the throttle. But it catches every time within 2-3 seconds. Operate the choke and watch the choke cable on each carb to make sure the enricher levers are moving.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    My 86 has to have the choke on completely regardless of the temperature the first time it is started. It likes to have a little throttle but not much. It has never failed to start in 13+ years.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rally Rat
    mine was doing the same thing this spring... 1/2 choke, crank, no choke, crank, fires up... replaced the spark plugs, presto!

Make sure the enrichener hole in the float bowl isnt plugged.

My 85 R80RT was hard starting when cold, when I bought it a few years ago. I tried a few different things. It turned out the valve clearance had gone. none. When cold the valves wouldn't be closed long enough. When hot, the head had expanded enough to keep them closed long enough. My theory anyway. Setting them properly solved the problem. Good luck. frank coleman