Thread: Wind noise with the K1600GT

DJimmy

Wind noise with the K1600GT

I just test rode the new GT and loved it. My only complaint was significant wind noise. I experienced the same problem on my RT and K1200GT until I replaced the wind screen. Any feedback on any of the after market windscreens? Wind noise reduction? BMW boasts about their windscreens, but I think they are really off the mark.

Boast's:(

BMW certainly has no right for bragging rights on their windscreens for decades now. Seats either! My last large bike, K1200LT, I went with VStream replacement,a real nice improvement. Maybe its available for the new one by now too. My current GSA1200, I added the Laminar LIP to its stock shield, making a nice change for the GSA. Lamimar LIP makes a lot of add ons and mostly good results. Try VStream first, as mine was a good worthy buy. Randy

No longer a member here
    Wind noise on my K1600GT is significantly higher than on my R1100RT, both with stock windshield.

Wind noise? On a motorcycle? Who'da thunk it?
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    Wind noise? On a motorcycle? Who'da thunk it?
    I guess you would not be interested in a "quiet" helmet..or wearing ear plugs????
    "Noise" covers a large spectrum. 40dbA is noise. So is 98dbA.

Vstream shield and schuberth c3 arent too bad but taller screen would be perfect. I have the tall now. 6'2" tall in the torso. Fwiw

The interesting thing about helmets, especially the C3, is that they're designed to work best in clean air and not the pressure wave that comes off a faired/windscreen equipped bike. If I stand up on my K16GT/stock windscreen bike the wind noise is substantially less than when I'm sitting on the seat. I actually took the windscreen off my bike and rode it all day with no wind protection and it's not bad but there's still a pressure wave off the fairing that hits my helmet.

I keep waiting until someone makes a short windscreen that has a lip/flip on the trailing edge to create laminar flow over/around me instead of hitting me. Something like this:

http://www.laminarlip.com/k1600gt.php

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    The interesting thing about helmets, especially the C3, is that they're designed to work best in clean air and not the pressure wave that comes off a faired/windscreen equipped bike....
    That's a very interesting observation and worth considering. I have several bikes where the fairing/windshield does absolutely nothing as far as keeping "clean air" from my head/helmet and noise is not more of an issue than on my RT or GT!