Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best riding boots and misc.

Quote Originally Posted by glwestcott2 View Post
    A few years ago, my brother turned me on to Danner Tactical boots. Lace up and tie and then use side zipper for on and off. They are waterproof and light with great traction. I typically go for a walk around 3 miles every day to keep the blood circulating and find that they are as comfortable to walk in as an old pair of tennis shoes. Best $180 I ever spent on boots or shoes.
    +1 on that...I had an endless shopping experience a couple of years ago looking at moto boots. Completely inconsistent in sizes between brands, no walking comfort, and "styling" that looks okay on the track, but a bit flashy for me. Then I recalled the Danner duty boots I used as everyday footwear around the fire station. Problem solved, quality boot, quality fit, and reasonably priced...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    Good height, easy on and off and come in a lot of widths. I have short wide feet so fit can be tough for me. They can be resoled as well.
    Yeah, but EE is not EEEEE, so there are still no off the shelf boots that fit me.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Yeah, but EE is not EEEEE, so there are still no off the shelf boots that fit me.
    Who's custom MC boots do you like? I've only gone with custom with my Limmer hiking boots.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

+1 on the BMW All Around, which I bought on sale

I also have a pair of 5 year old Sidi Gore-Tex On-Road as my primary boots. Still going strong. They are harder to find now.
    08 F800ST, 07 R1200RT
    blog
    - Owen

+1 on the BMW All Around boots. I wear 12 EEE in street shoes.
    Last week I received a pair of size 12 of the BMW boots.
    I just got back from a 3 day 1000+ mile trip where I did lots of walking around 1 day. Nothing but comfort. Lots of room in width.

I had just tried several pairs of boots and returned both Sidi's and Aerostich boots as they were too narrow.

PM me for a special deal I found on these BMW boots.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

+1 on the DAYTONA BOOTS.
    CanadianViking
    2009 Lava Orange K1300R

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    Who's custom MC boots do you like? I've only gone with custom with my Limmer hiking boots.
    I haven't tried custom boots, been using the Cruiserworks 14, extra wide, which are still tight but ok with light socks.. Glad I have two pair, they no longer offer EW.

I have tried nearly ever other so- called wide bike boot on the market. No joy there.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

DITTO Combats:)

I'm an offroader and lots of paved touring too. GSA1200 here. I wanted bombproof and got it with my current Combats from Aerostitch. They are in between a street boot and m/x boot, built extremely tough, no leaks and have given much support to my riding style. I kick boulders with them, stood in foot deep mudholes, whitewater creeks, just can't kill the boots and my feet are dry. They are NOT even advertised as waterproof, but are well designed and work. CONS; Very stout as new and break in takes months, years to happen if you ride less miles. Heavy weight boots and many will complain about that perhaps. NOT my favorite hiking shoe/boot either, so I carry walkjing shoes for extended walking chores around rallies and forest hikes with mileage attached. On the GSA all day, I could never imagine a better, tougher boot than my Combats and I'm sure a few more exist, I've just been there tried'em all. Randy

CBT's are the best!

I have hiking boots, Alpinestars dirt boots and finally broke down and spent the $$ on CBT's from 'stitch. Great move and probably the last pair I'll ever buy.

The wear issue with hiking boots was a lack of shin protection and with dirt boots, I couldn't wear any kind of regular pants because of all the bulk at the top of the boot.

I've had the Combat Touring Boots for about three months now, and just love 'em. I wear a 10 1/2, ordered an 11, but finally ended up wearing a 10. Perfect fit and cool looking boots. Plenty of walking in them to break 'em in, but so far, so great. You'll never regret doing the same thing. (Just size down, as they don't have any half sizes). Happy wearing!
    -Kevin
    2005 R1200GS

comfort and safety

if cost is not an issue look at Vendramini boots. first pair lasted 120K miles..just got second pair (with some difficulty - had to buy over internet from them directly). their new style is twice the cost but worth it. custom fit and fit like a glove after 4-5 hours.

Combat Lite Touring Boots

I've owned a number of boots over the years, but nothing compares to the CTB.
    Randy

To freshen up black plastic

To keep your black plastic black try...Surf City Garage Black Max believe it or not at Wal Mart about $8.00 for 8oz. Apply as directed for a long good look... doesn't seem to wash off or streak as back to black. I use it on the R1200R and the auto...good results on both ... Regarding riding boots the TCX Gore Tex, two buckle, valcro flap, tall boot gives me dry feet and good protection It has a molded sole but a good cobler should be able to apply a vibram sole or heel insert when the time arrises [ the catch is to find a shoe repair person who has the experience to do the work ] In my previous life I sold Red Wing shoes and we worked with some good local shoe repair folks....word of mouth...a good source is railroad linemen and electrical lineman to find that good cobler [compatability of the vibram and the parent sole can present a problem...the coblers experience comes into play at this point] The secret to redoing the Red Wing sole was the glue and the heat set ...30 minute cook time minium... things change but that was the process 8 to 10 yrs ago When repairing a shoe don't let the repair go to long...too much nonrepairable damage can occur

Anybody tried the Gasolinas?

Their website is under repair now, but it is normally at:
    http://www.gasolinaboots.com/

I talked to them on the phone, seem like great folks. I love the retro look, and they are at least made in North America....

Thumbs up

TCX X-Action Waterproof Boots
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Jack Herbst
    SIDI Canyons--gore-tex! Great all around boot.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."