Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The short mileage gang

Annie and I have been riding on average about 8-9K miles a year. Generally one big trip a year and some shorter in-state trips as well. That was about all we could handle in Alaska's weather and while working. Now that we are retired and living in the tropical environment of Montana we have plans to ride about 3 times our traditional yearly average in the next 4 months. It will be new to us to ride that much, be on the road for extended periods and to camp as often as our plans call for. Only time and mileage will tell if devoting so much time to riding is what we want to do, but our adventure starts in a few days and we are both like 6 year olds on their way to Disney World.

Our adventure start date has been moved up a bit to get ahead of some ugly weather predicted in WY. We leave tomorrow.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 04-12-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Go, Kevin and Annie, go!

See you in Branson!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

iscream-stop
    I never really looked a mileage except to change oil and such, in fact it was so low I just changed regularly every winter. every since I go my LT though, they just seem to click off at levels I never imagined. I never thought I would rack up more miles on a bike than I did my car. I just love going out riding and just seem to keep going.

Do I just imagine that the "high mileage" gang cranks out most of their miles in interstate highway and freeways, rather than on secondary roads or old US highways?

For me, riding freeways greatly reduces the pleasure factor- I typically do it only for the odd day when I can commute on the bike (I have to carry tools to work), or if I REALLY have to get somewhere in minimal time.
    My GF/pillion HATES freeway riding so if we are traveling, I only get on bigger roads to make a connection from one state or US highway to another. We simply plan accordingly, time-wise.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post

My GF/pillion HATES freeway riding so if we are traveling, I only get on bigger roads to make a connection from one state or US highway to another. We simply plan accordingly, time-wise.
    Both wife and I feel the same, that is why I am a trailer queen, throw the bikes on the trailer, Radio, climate control, coffee in the cup holder, and motor to the fun roads.

My trailer actually is a live saver (mine) , as after about 1 hour on the slab, on the bike, I am ready to end it all Then when I get to the fun stuff, I unload fresh and ready to go, ride 8-12 hours a day no problem.

Many trip memory's s would have been ruined by the 3 hour ride home in the cold pouring rain.

Out of the last month, I've only driven my truck to work once. 85-95 miles per day on the bike. I need to be fair and take the R75 one day. I've become quite accustomed to the comfort and wind protection of the RT.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Do I just imagine that the "high mileage" gang cranks out most of their miles in interstate highway and freeways, rather than on secondary roads or old US highways?

For me, riding freeways greatly reduces the pleasure factor- I typically do it only for the odd day when I can commute on the bike (I have to carry tools to work), or if I REALLY have to get somewhere in minimal time.
    Mostly bullcrap, for many riders who ride high mileage. In 1999 when Voni rode 84,000 miles she rode very little interstate. She went where she wanted to (except for her 35 mile commute )on roads she wanted to ride. Now that we are retired we only ride the Interstate or other divided 4 lane roads when there is no reasonable alternative and then only for very short distances. That nonsense about high mileage riders sticking to the Interstates was originally spouted by somebody who failed to understand that the difference between high mileage riders and low mileage riders simply is that high mileage riders ride more and low mileage riders ride less. I know folks who commute to work whose commuting mileage alone is higher that the BMW MOA average. Throw in a few weekend trips, a summer vacation trip, and some other riding and you suddenly have a high mileage rider. It really is a matter of how important riding is to each rider.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

They are not mutually exclusive.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I say Quality. not Quantity!
    If the quality is good, the quantity goes up. If the quality is poor folks do it when they have to, but don't like it and the quantity goes down.

Time and priorities are the constraint. That, and bikes that keep breaking.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Mostly bullcrap, for many riders who ride high mileage. In 1999 when Voni rode 84,000 miles she rode very little interstate. .
    If you ride "very little Interstate" your time effort goes up quite a bit.
    Let's see: 84,000 miles at an average speed of 35 miles (good estimate for off-Interstate riding) takes 2,400 hours, equals 300 days @ 8 hr riding or 240 days @ 10 hr riding/day. And she did this BEFORE you guys were retired????

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Let's see: 84,000 miles at an average speed of 35 miles (good estimate for off-Interstate riding)?
    Uh, Mike??? No one said anything about riding a full day in school zones.

I don't know where YOU ride, but even riding here in town in Clovis, NM our speed limits are as high as 45 and 55 mph - in town.

Here in the southwest and western states - we don't ride 35 mph anywhere outside of city limits. I ride a lot in the mountains in NM, AZ, CO and WY - and I can assure you your "good estimate" is flat ridiculous.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    If you ride "very little Interstate" your time effort goes up quite a bit.
    Let's see: 84,000 miles at an average speed of 35 miles (good estimate for off-Interstate riding) takes 2,400 hours, equals 300 days @ 8 hr riding or 240 days @ 10 hr riding/day. And she did this BEFORE you guys were retired????
    Did the 84,000 in 1999. Retired in 2005. Hit her first million miles in 2011. She rode more before we retired than since, but she usually did 15,000 or so just commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I know folks who commute to work whose commuting mileage alone is higher that the BMW MOA average.
    My commute to work is 0.6 miles, another reason I've never done big miles. I put miles on the bike on long road trips, but that's only when I have time off to do that, which is almost never. I hope that changes when I retire, which will be soon.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My commute to work is 0.6 miles, another reason I've never done big miles. I put miles on the bike on long road trips, but that's only when I have time off to do that, which is almost never. I hope that changes when I retire, which will be soon.

Harry
    My commute to work is about 350 one way, 350 STEPS that is! I'm lucky enough to be able to walk 3 blocks to work.

As far mileage goes, I only ride for fun. And I can't enjoy the ride if I know I am neglecting home chores, so as it goes so far this year, I have rode a total of 100 miles. But, we have our first ever 'big' trip in 50 days, so that will be about 2000 miles.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    My commute to work is about 350 one way, 350 STEPS that is! I'm lucky enough to be able to walk 3 blocks to work.
    I also walk to work most days. It's about a 15-minute walk. I walk home for lunch and then ride or drive back.

I have to maintain my body so I can ride after I retire, and walking is good for that.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver