Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charging my I Phone

Charging my I Phone

I've been searching for ways to plug my I Phone in while I ride. It has all my music, photos, etc. so on long rides it's just about depleted by the end of the day.

The BMW socket adapter gets you to where you can plug in a car/cigarette lighter thingy but that junction isn't water proof. I'm sure it wont be a good thing if it rains.

Whose found a good solution?
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

http://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather...Kit_p_475.html

I have one on my bike and it works great for my iphone4s

Good question with a good first response. Going to move to the gear section. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I've done the Powerlet tank bag electrification kit on my Motorrad bag on my K16GT. Works great and I can branch off as many USB charging connectors as I want. I'm charging my iPhone, iPad, and a couple of video cameras. It's all quite weather proof.

Alternative to direct connect to battery

I use a rechargable charger. I can fully recharge my iPhone somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 times per charge. I brought it to Bloomsburg for the 2011 rally for my charging needs. I didn't initially buy it for motorcycle riding but find it suits my motorcycle riding needs. Your mileage will vary. Note: the one I bought can NOT recharge an iPad but they do make ones that can.

I also use it during days of heavy iPhone use and for when I travel. That's why I originally bought it. I bought mine Feb 2011 and have been very happy with it.

Here's a link to what I purchased from amazon.com: Rechargable charger link

Cheers,

Jim

I added a"car/cigarette lighter thingy" inside my unused radio box. I can now plug in phone and leave it locked up. My bike still has tuperware off if you need picture.

I spliced a SAE style connector into the dash lighting circuit of my RT,
    then run that line into my tank bag when I'm on a trip. A dual 12V
    cig plug then powers the GPS and a charger. The cords route out
    at one end of the lid zipper.
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

Rain?

I unplug it and put it away, but rain usually doesn't last long. I keep mine charged all day, leaving it plugged into cigarette lighter adapter thingy, into BMW acces.outlet. Randy

Solar charger
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

USB charger

I built this using the circuit board from an auto parts store adapter that had 2 12-volt sockets and a USB port. It is plugged into the harness using the BMW pigtail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Degeneracy can be fun but it's hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation. R. M. Persig

Steve
    I recently got a Motorola Razr and faced the same problem. I was going to drop $50 on the Powerlet cable but then figured out I could get a $3 mini USB to micro USB adapter and recharge it from the power cable for my Zumo (which runs right to the bike's battery). And I can leave the phone in my tank bag while it recharges.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb122mp View Post
    I use a rechargable charger. I can fully recharge my iPhone somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 times per charge. I brought it to Bloomsburg for the 2011 rally for my charging needs. I didn't initially buy it for motorcycle riding but find it suits my motorcycle riding needs. Your mileage will vary. Note: the one I bought can NOT recharge an iPad but they do make ones that can.

I also use it during days of heavy iPhone use and for when I travel. That's why I originally bought it. I bought mine Feb 2011 and have been very happy with it.

Cheers,

Jim
    Based on this post, last spring I bought the New Trent charger referred to in this post. It has worked very well during our summer travels. We camp a great deal and it is not uncommon for us to not have access to power for several days at a time. The New Trent charger is able to keep my iPhone charged for up to 4 days at a time. It has proven to be tough and durable after being banged around all summer. Good product.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    I've done the Powerlet tank bag electrification kit on my Motorrad bag on my K16GT. Works great and I can branch off as many USB charging connectors as I want. I'm charging my iPhone, iPad, and a couple of video cameras. It's all quite weather proof.
    I've been doing this for years. Its really quite simple.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Here is a pic of the power outlet I have mounted on my GSA for just such use:

Slightly off topic, but since a portable battery charger was mentioned above, I thought I would show another trick for those of you who might use the GoPro wifibak. As you may know, with the wifibak, and its remote control, you can turn your GoPro camera on/off remotely, change between taking video or stills, choose single frame pictures or multiple frame shots (sports mode). With it, the only thing that needs to be left turned on is the wifibak that is mounted on the back of the camera.

The remote can be turned on easily when you need it and turned off if your not going to be shooting for a while. When you tuen the remote on or off, the camera will also turn on or off. But the wifibak must be left on for all of this to work. So it doesn't last long before it is out of power and must be recharged.

So I have one of these:

So, I can put this little thing called "Mophie" in my jacket, run a usb cable from it up to the wifibak. Here is a look at that:

This thing will charge things at about four times the speed that plugging into a wall outlet or computer usb outlet takes. And once it senses the the item is charged, it shuts itself off. And it has huge capacity. You can even charge a laptop with it.

With this guy, I can and have run all day shooting video and stills, listening to music on the phone, and never run out of power. The phone, I plug into the bike. That allows me to use this little guy to keep everything else charged. I can even charge the wifibak while I'm using it.
    Last edited by stkmkt1; 10-11-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: image links not working
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb122mp View Post

Cheers,

Jim
    So, this is a rechargeable charger to recharge a device's battery? What happens when the rechargeable charger gets depleted? is there a rechargeable charger to recharge the rechargeable charger to recharge the device's battery? What has this world come to? No offense. Actually, it looks like a good idea. For campers, at least. For others, I guess they either go back home at night, or get to a hotel or motel, in wihich case, they can just recharge using the AC outlet. Or am I missing something?