Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Calling it quits

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.
    Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin or an AT&T phone or a horse-drawn buggy....and who still want Sandy Cohen to be the editor of the ON...what else?

Cool

Some people don't like change, and they are happy with what they have.

I have an RT, but realistically, I'm going to go hunting for a K bike as soon as I can put the cash down
    1997 R1100RT-P

Motorcycles: Because you never see one parked in front of a psychiatrist's office.

No longer a member here
    I have an Oilhead RT too. I kept it when I bought the K1600. I also have an Airhead (78 R100S) And a K1. Going along with progress and improvements doesn't mean that you stop liking what you have.
    Clinging to stuff that is "obsolete" and refusing to move ahead is a different story. It works for the Amish. For a real motorcyclist??? I am not sure. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin...
    It's funny, but most of the new stuff just doesn't interest me, whether it's the new 'Vette, the Porsche 991, any BMW car, any Ferrari, or whatever. The only "newish" bike that really interests me is sitting out in the garage.

But I'd love to take a 1600 GT on a trip, and see if I could get past the weight. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably buy a low mileage one, just on spec.

Regardless, I'm happy all these machines are being built, because it keeps the builders in business.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    But I'd love to take a 1600 GT on a trip, and see if I could get past the weight. .
    Once you ride it, you won't even recognize the weight. It feels more nimble than my R1100RT.

Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    ... you won't even recognize the weight...
    Right up to the time you drop it at low speed or in a parking lot....and then you get to try and pick it up.
    Warren
    '97 R1100RT - My daily driver

Ave atque vale, my America.

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    Right up to the time you drop it at low speed or in a parking lot....and then you get to try and pick it up.
    yup, 703 lbs. on the GT is a lot.

but then again, so is your R1100RT at 622 or so.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    If you quote, you must quote the complete sentence.
    Riding a bike is not really about dropping it in the parking lot. If you indeed have a tendency to do that, I agree - you should stick to a beginner bike, maybe a Honda CB250R or so....

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    If you quote, you must quote the complete sentence.
    Riding a bike is not really about dropping it in the parking lot. If you indeed have a tendency to do that, I agree - you should stick to a beginner bike, maybe a Honda CB250R or so.
    +1, Gunny!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    The release of the water cooled R engined motorcycle will be a seminal moment for BMW. One can only hope that the new bike retains the special feel that I and many others associate with BMW. If not, then Oilheads, Hexheads and Camheads may retain their values for years to come.
    Agreed. I traded my 07GSA for a 2012 on BMW's special deal. This way I have three to four years before I "have" to replace it.

I hope the WC Boxer is fantastic but I'll let others be the beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.
    To each their own. I loved my old /6, but my K75 Standard is a great bike. Would not go back. Owning one of each is a different question, though.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    I traded my 07GSA for a 2012 on BMW's special deal.
    Good idea, getting a late model camhead.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Just traded my 2008 K1200GT with 32,000 miles on a new R 1200RT. Just put 1500 miles on the new bike. I like the nimbleness of the RT but the K bike was exciting on the open road but a handful in town Always hated the shifting of the K bike. The new bike seems to be a better all around bike. There was just something exciting about the K bike on the open road but never really trusted it for some reason.

I currently own a 2009 GSA and love it but want a water head in the next year or two. In the meantime, I can't help myself---I'm buying a used 2012 K1600GT with only 700 miles. Just before the GSA, I had a 2007 K1200GT that was a wonderful, powerful, sophisticated machine but just didn't LOVE it---primarily due to the riding position. It wasn't bad, just not optimum for me.

The 16GT is a beast, with a better riding position than the 12GT and the 6 cylinder engine is something special. Can't wait to get it in the next few days! The GSA is going up for sale.
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    I have an 08 R1200RT. I get to take both a GT and a GTL for a test drive on May 7th.

I'm looking forward to it. This will give me a chance to see how I like the bikes. They sound so great (from what everyone says and listening to them run when I stand beside them).

I'll let you know whether the bike fits me. Not that that really means anything to anyone except me. But I'll share.
    Good luck with your test rides. I took a GTL out for the first time last June just expecting to fall in love with it after all the hype but, sadly, came back to the dealer less than enamored. Kept reading the forums and decided to take it out again with a better feel this time. Well, third time was the charm and I absolutely love my silver GTL. My problem was having owned Hondas and Yamahas for 30 years and expecting the same type of bike. Once I settled in to what this bike was about and how it differed, I have grown to love it for all it offers. Sometimes love is slow in coming but worth in when you find the right one