Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Calling it quits

Hi,

I only have the Corbin Seat. Very comfortable piston for back and arms. Looks great.
    Ken

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

Is that set for sale? If so, is it heated and how much?
    Jim

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

I obviously cant't spell or proof read- SEAT!

The seat is heated. It is a one piece seat. It cost me about $650 or so. I'm asking $325.

If you're interested, I'm sure we can work something out. PM me if interested.

I'm on my way back from China and I can reply back on Tuesday.

Thanks,
    Ken

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
    I ended up buying a 2012 RT in Fluid Grey.
    Ken
    Excellent choice!

Calling it quits

Ken,
    I would like to have the seat; Ph 303-771-2836 or jfa37@acsol.net when you get home.
    Thanks,
    Jim

[QUOTE=ken6217;768250]I decided to sell my GT.

I bought a 2011 RT in March of this year. I want a GT. If you are interested in working out a swap please PM me. My bike is Thunder Grey with all the options plus quite a few extras I have added. Now has 12,200 miles on her.

...the bike is not for me...ken6217
    And I see one for sale in the MOA News with about 2,000 miles on it, so you're not the only one.

I find myself fascinated with these bikes, especially after I recently listened to a friend start up his CBX.

I can imagine the sound of a Remus equipped GT...
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I have seen many GT's and GTL's for sale as well. I was thinking that many folks realize they can't afford a bike pushing 30k especially when they don't ride. I especially like the used ones listed for 25k while the left over new 2012's the dealers have you can pick up for under 24k right now. I wanted to buy one but wasn't willing to pay sticker price, so I bought an RT instead.

...many for sale...can't afford a bike...Inga211
    I can't think it's just affordability. And if someone has just spent a lot of coin on a new bike, they're going to want to avoid the depreciation hit from an immediate sale.

I wonder if the six cylinder concept has brought in buyers who have owned other genres or makes of bikes, and and who then find out that the GT / GTL just doesn't work for them for one reason or other. Indeed, the OP, who has ridden many bikes, and who previously owned a BMW, states that he was "intrigued by the engine". Reading the threads here and in other forums, it is clear that there are all sorts of factors that can prevent an owner from liking a machine. It could be vibration, wind turbulence, heat, handling, weight, or brake feel. And then there may be mechanical issues. Or they might realize that they prefer a simpler machine that has more of the basic motorcycle vibes and sounds.

I recall a long ago post by an Oiler owner who went back to an Airhead, which surprised me.

To really get to know a bike, it needs to be taken on a multi - day trip, which just isn't possible for the purchasers of most new machines. You go in cold turkey.
    Last edited by rinty; 10-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    And I see one for sale in the MOA News with about 2,000 miles on it, so you're not the only one.
    I saw a beautiful black one with a lot of farkles on consignment at the BMW dealer in Asheville, NC the other day. It was a choice between the bike and a woman. Wonder if he will get another after the divorce?
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I had a similar experience with a R1200C/Montauk .

found one, beautiful pearl beige , an "04" with just over 400!! miles on it. Shipped it here, bought and installed touring bags....took a trip. On the trip I doubled the mileage on it +....by the time i got home...hated it. Can't explain all of it, just felt?..wrong...one thing definite...it about killed my back.

Got lucky though, put it for sale in IBMWR and first guy came from yet another state, gave asking price...I lost a bit that I spent on shipping, but...

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post

I wonder if the six cylinder concept has brought in buyers who have owned other genres or makes of bikes, ....he was "intrigued by the engine". .
    I am one of these people. I own four other six-cyilnder bikes, 3 Honda CBXes and a Kawasaki 1300. I love the BMW GT. The sound of the bike, even with stock exhaust is awesome. The performance, especially two-up, roll-on acceleration, has no match. I rode the bike on a one week 2,600 mile trip from Ohio to Maine and back and ride it quite a bit on shorter Sunday excursions.
    I have a 99 R1100RT that I wanted to replace as my main riding/touring bike.
    I considered a new RT at one time. I am glad, I didn't go this route. I very much like the RT, but I am sorry, the Boxer just doesn't compare with the GT's powertrain.

Interesting post. I too have a 2008 RT. I bought it new but when I went in for the test ride I had an appointment to ride the 2008 GT. I had all the specs. in my head and was blind sided by the 160 HP (or was it 155?) anyway the sales guy took one look at me and says "you may want to ride the R1200RT instead". We went out with me on the GT and the salesman on an 08 RT. About half way through the ride he had me switch. That was it, the RT just fit me and I love the torque and pull through the rpm range.
    So, yesterday I filled out a form on line to schedule a ride on the 1600GT.
    Once again I feel like I need the power and up grade if you can call it that.
    This morning I read this post about calling it quits with the GT?
    I read a post several months ago and a guy in this forum said the GT was boring. Someone came back with, "how is 160 HP boring?.
    Confusing but what a great problem. We are so fortunate.
    Jeff
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S