Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calling it quits

Hybrid View

Calling it quits

I decided to sell my GT. I've liked the bike but could never love it. I just never felt comfortable on it. I am the proud owner of multiple seats and even GTL and GT handlebars as well as foot pegs but the bike is not for me.

It's funny that for many years I bought and sold bikes, and the bike that I loved the most was my '09 RT. I ended up trading for the GT. I guess I got intrigued with the engine.

The icing on the cake was last week when I picked up a used '09 GS and as soon as I got on it, I realized the GT was a goner.

I'm not sure if I will get a '12 RT or wait until the water cooled ones come out in '13 and just ride the GS for now.

Ken
    Last edited by ken6217; 04-08-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
    I am the proud owner of multiple seats

Ken
    Do you still have the extra seats? If so, which ones and would you be willing to part with them?
    2012 K1600GTL

Hi,

I only have the Corbin Seat. Very comfortable piston for back and arms. Looks great.
    Ken

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

Is that set for sale? If so, is it heated and how much?
    Jim

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

I obviously cant't spell or proof read- SEAT!

The seat is heated. It is a one piece seat. It cost me about $650 or so. I'm asking $325.

If you're interested, I'm sure we can work something out. PM me if interested.

I'm on my way back from China and I can reply back on Tuesday.

Thanks,
    Ken

Interesting post. I too have a 2008 RT. I bought it new but when I went in for the test ride I had an appointment to ride the 2008 GT. I had all the specs. in my head and was blind sided by the 160 HP (or was it 155?) anyway the sales guy took one look at me and says "you may want to ride the R1200RT instead". We went out with me on the GT and the salesman on an 08 RT. About half way through the ride he had me switch. That was it, the RT just fit me and I love the torque and pull through the rpm range.
    So, yesterday I filled out a form on line to schedule a ride on the 1600GT.
    Once again I feel like I need the power and up grade if you can call it that.
    This morning I read this post about calling it quits with the GT?
    I read a post several months ago and a guy in this forum said the GT was boring. Someone came back with, "how is 160 HP boring?.
    Confusing but what a great problem. We are so fortunate.
    Jeff
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.
    Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin or an AT&T phone or a horse-drawn buggy....and who still want Sandy Cohen to be the editor of the ON...what else?

Cool

Some people don't like change, and they are happy with what they have.

I have an RT, but realistically, I'm going to go hunting for a K bike as soon as I can put the cash down

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin...
    It's funny, but most of the new stuff just doesn't interest me, whether it's the new 'Vette, the Porsche 991, any BMW car, any Ferrari, or whatever. The only "newish" bike that really interests me is sitting out in the garage.

But I'd love to take a 1600 GT on a trip, and see if I could get past the weight. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably buy a low mileage one, just on spec.

Regardless, I'm happy all these machines are being built, because it keeps the builders in business.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

To each their own. I loved my old /6, but my K75 Standard is a great bike. Would not go back. Owning one of each is a different question, though.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

[QUOTE=ken6217;768250]I decided to sell my GT.

I bought a 2011 RT in March of this year. I want a GT. If you are interested in working out a swap please PM me. My bike is Thunder Grey with all the options plus quite a few extras I have added. Now has 12,200 miles on her.

...the bike is not for me...ken6217
    And I see one for sale in the MOA News with about 2,000 miles on it, so you're not the only one.

I find myself fascinated with these bikes, especially after I recently listened to a friend start up his CBX.

I can imagine the sound of a Remus equipped GT...
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I have seen many GT's and GTL's for sale as well. I was thinking that many folks realize they can't afford a bike pushing 30k especially when they don't ride. I especially like the used ones listed for 25k while the left over new 2012's the dealers have you can pick up for under 24k right now. I wanted to buy one but wasn't willing to pay sticker price, so I bought an RT instead.