Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lusting for a Ural

you might consider

a bonnie or a thruxton with a cosy rig. which is whut i done. triumph dealers are a bit less scarce than rooski dealers.
    i been driving mine for a bit over a year now. it likes me just fine.
    i'm thinking that it might be easier to sell someday than a commie rig.

the urals do have side car braking and 2 wheel drive which the bonnie rig don't. so that may be worth cogitating upon.

Last edited by f14rio; 04-18-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    a bonnie or a thruxton with a cosy rig. which is whut i done. triumph dealers are a bit less scarce than rooski dealers.
    i been driving mine for a bit over a year now. it likes me just fine.
    i'm thinking that it might be easier to sell someday than a commie rig.
    Oh, no fair calling the Ural a commie rig! Any more than calling BMW's some nasty kraut slurs, not to mention the Ural is pretty much a fossilized beemer. And don't even get me started about those lousy limeys, who cursed us with self destructing Austin Healys and MG's to avenge whopping their asses back in 1812.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

just signed up for some sensitivity counseling

ntxt.

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Went to Gene's and spent a day. Pick up Vasily (2011 GearUp) Saturday

Been and done

First ride was 305 km home with multiple stops to let things cool and fit together. I hear ya on the seat. I used an EagleAir seat with a sheepskin over the standard pad. Definite help but knees still cramped. Sitting on the package rack helped with that but yesterday I shifted the seat back to the rear set of seat bolt holes, gaining a bit of leg stretch. Gene has worked out a way to attach a solo Harley seat, so that or a Day-Long look very appealing.

Pictures under the "Really old BMW" thread.

Talking

Thanks to everyone for their input, I took the plunge and have had my Gear-up for about 6 weeks now. Thought I'd relate some impressions.

First of all, I love it. My kids love it. My wife likes it. Complete strangers love it. People almost drive off the road gawking at it. Everyone want to ask about it.

Lots of maintenance. Mostly easy, old school stuff. 500km then every 3000km. Fortunately, Ural encourages owners to do it themselves and I enjoy the excuse to hibernate in the garage occasionally.

Lots of new skills to learn. Not sure how much is general hack stuff and how much is Ural specific, but it's a different world than 2 wheeling. I have adjusted to brakes, shifting, acceleration, handling, noises, ergonomics and engineering that would have me running for the exit on any other bike. But with this rig it's part of the charm. If it was more modern it would just be another forgettable ride.

Owning a Ural requires a commitment from the owner, and it returns that commitment with a very unique set of rewards. I didn't realize what an adjustment I was making until I got back on my ancient K75s and it seemed like some futuristic rocket ship. Not for everyone, but for me I think I hit the nail on the head with this purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Too right about commitment and payback. Vasily's engine breaking in nicely (more power, quieter operation) and the tranny is getting happy. You can shift up with your toes, but it's more like a hip muscle exercise. The heel shift is easier, if a little awkward.

Can find neutral now no sweat even at a stop, and reverse is getting easier to shift into even with the bike in 1st.

Played with the twinmax and have a nicer idle and smoother acceleration. All the little oil mists and ooz I remember from my /2. But is is fun to wrench your own and get to know it.

2100k and getting better all the time.

I have a 06 Patrol, and a K1200RS and a F650GS. My Ural adds to my motorcycling experience, doesn't replace either BMW.

Thomas Sells
    00 K1200RS, 03 F650GS & a 06 Ural Patrol

Keystone, Colorado, 5 miles from the high point of I-70 at 10,000 feet

Bought a Ural and never looked back

I bought one new in '05 sold it to a friend and bought an '07, sold it to another friend and now own a 2010. I have put about 30,000 miles on them and have never thought spending the money was a mistake. If I had more time I would ride it to the national. They are not BMWs but they are easy to work on and in my experience really don't need much except common sense service. Great back road bike

There are a couple of Ural rigs in our company parking lot. I thought I would check the mileage on them, today. One has close to 17,000 and the other 27,000. They look to be about 3 years old, and are driven daily.

Just thought I'd throw this out so the rest of you can suffer along with me. They say timing is everything in life and I've been lusting after a Ural myself for a long time. But work hasn't been too steady, and I owed my soul to the IRS this year. A day late and a dollar short.... again. So I'm eating some "Ural Death" on this machine that just sold on eBay (21 April, 2013). A single owner, 2000 Ural Night Sentry with ... 305 original miles on the clock. Winning bid; $7,200

Here's the seller's write-up...

This is a 2000 Ural Night Sentry Russian motorcycle with matching sidecar, in gloss black with white pinstripes. It has only 305 original kilometers on it. Really. I purchased it new from Blue Moon cycles in Norcross, GA in August 2000. I rode it home and then another 170 miles, then stopped riding my three motorcycles altogether in favor of boating, golfing, tennis, and way too much office work. I parked the bike in my climate controlled basement and kept it out of the way and clean, and I kept air in the (four) tires. It hasn?t been started since 2001, but I?m not aware of anything that needs attention. It was running perfectly when I last rode it. It is bone stock, except I think the spotlights and pin striping were optional. You can see I still have the original owners manual, tools, tonneau cover, and a handful of spare parts that came with it. While the bike has been continuously insured and titled, it hasn?t been registered for the road in all the years it was in storage. Based on all the foregoing, the bike is for sale ?As Is?, with no warranty. However, the bike may be inspected at any time with a day?s notice in Alpharetta, GA by you, your representative, or your mechanic. I am willing to ship the bike anywhere, buyer pays shipping. . A new Ural Retro costs $14,249 so here is an opportunity save some big money! Subject to prior sale

On Apr-17-13 at 17:28:30 PDT, seller added the following information:

Update to Bike's condition. I drained the fuel tank, added fresh fuel with seafoam, repaired a leaking fuel petcock, replaced the plugs, and the bike started right up. I jump started it from my car, so the bike still has a dead battery.
    On Apr-20-13 at 15:54:56 PDT, seller added the following information:

Further Update to Bike's condition. I put in a fresh battery today and took the bile on a 10 mile test drive. Bike is running like new!

Maybe there's another one out there somewhere.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

BMW Rider

Ural's

I would definitely buy a Ural! They are very cool and fun to ride around. One caveat however... you need to know what you're getting into with a Ural. Dealers are few and far between, if you're close to one that is a bonus. 2nd thing is they are maintenance intensive. Like motorcycles used to be decades ago. Don't expect today's modern anything. The more you know about working on a motorcycle the better off you will be.

If you're ok with that I say absolutely go for it!!

While that 2000 Ural looks grand, I've been told to stick with '07 or newer, because of the vast improvements (alternator, forks, brakes).

they are maintenance intensive. Like motorcycles used to be decades ago.
    Hey billy, yer talking to a guy that's ridden, and maintained, the same R75/5 since 1974.... The tips about updated mechanics ... didn't know about. Thanks.

Still... . whatta sweety, and with only a tick over 300 miles it would probably be a while before the gremlins started showing up.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner