Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Schuberth C3 helmets

I've now put over 7000 miles on my C3 in the last 7 weeks. Best made and functioning helmet I've ever owned.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Schuberth

I have had at least 3 C2's and now a C3 that is being replaced after I was knocked off by an errant cab driver making an illegal U-turn. The helmet didn't hit too hard but it did get a lot of gasoline on it.

I have an oblong, oval-shaped head that is real thin ear-to-ear. That leaves lots of space for roaring wind noises and that ugly hot-spot on the forehead. I did a lot of the named tricks and wore it for quite a while before I eventually took a ballpeen hammer to it [a rounded end small hammer]. I just kept relieving the forehead liner [the harder stuff] until it fits. I have a feeling that if that bit of relieved material ever matters in a crash then I am probably a goner anyway. The helmet is now comfortable for all day rides and I completed the MERA 10 n' 10 wearing it for up to 22hrs per day.

I use all kinds of ear plugs that help keep me sane. Howard Leight for now.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >165K miles; '07 RT w/ >140K miles

LD blog: www.ppldma.com

Schuberth

Loving my C3, rode 1072 miles yesterday on my first Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 and took it off twice. Nice and quiet, the Bluetooth collar works great.

Amateur Veteran
    glad I came across this thread before I ditched my Arai Vector for one of these.. I REALLY want to upgrade to the Schuberth but I think I will insist on finding a retailer with one and try it on for a while before I buy... with the fear that it will "Break in" and get lose down the road always in the back of my mind!

As an aside, I'm still amazed that their first bike is a 1600... Is it your husband or both of you riding? That's a lot of bike for a lady with little experience.

Love my C3. Have about 3,000 miles on it now. After the initial break in period, no more mild headache. :-) Fits great, quiet, and comfortable.

However. The ventilation is not as good as I thought. I don't have a C2, but the spouse says the C2 is much better in that regard. And I'm not really impressed with the way the visor attached to the helmet. The serrated bits of plastic on one side snapped off and I had to spend $103 to replace it. I don't think the force of a 50 mph breeze on a slightly open visor should cause the attach point to break.

It concerns me as we're headed into summer and if I can't ride with the visor up on hot days, I might as well go back to wearing my Caberg.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Maine GSA

I have a new C3 (spring 2012) and had the same forehead issue. I resolved this with a rasp and it is now fine.

The bigger issue to me is that the face shield does not stay where left. I often ride with my shield open (like the wind in my face). When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed (all the other helmets I have owned including a BMW System II were designed with a better detent on the shield holding it where it was placed), but I could try some fuzzy from a Velcro under the shield to increase pressure. I tried this and it improved, but not enough. I later removed the velcro and installed some O rings on the shield mounting posts - this has resolved the issue, but now the shield movement may be too stiff. Anyway, way to expensive a helmet to have an issue such as this.

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 70547 View Post
    ....I When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed
    hmm.... frankly for me, that's going to be a non-starter then... I guess maybe I'll just keep my Arai.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MD11driver View Post
    hmm.... frankly for me, that's going to be a non-starter then... I guess maybe I'll just keep my Arai.
    Not an issue on a bike with a real windscreen.

My visor never self-closes when I'm on my RT with the giant Aeroflow windscreen, and it always self-closes when I'm on the GSA.

Get enough of the air pushed up and over the rider and the C3 visor will stay up all day long.

When I first got my C3, one of the pads pushed down on the top of my forehead, and it felt as if my left ear was being bent down by the padding. 15,000 miles later and these issues are only memories. The helmet fits perfectly. What was a tiny bit too snug for the first couple of hundred miles is now a perfect fit, with no discomfort issues at all.

Two prior helmets were Shoei - the last a Multitec - and the C3 is light years beyond the Multitech. The new Shoei Neotech looks promising, and when it's time to replace the C3 in a few years, I'll investigate the Neotech but I'll certainly be leaning towards another C3.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I have 3 hours in mine. Snug, but no hot spots, installing the Autocom mic was a breeze. The ventilation and quiet is impressive. For me, the extra under chin wind guard was just in the way, removed it, made no difference in noise or airflow.
    Me like!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Not an issue on a bike with a real windscreen.

My visor never self-closes when I'm on my RT with the giant Aeroflow windscreen, and it always self-closes when I'm on the GSA.

Get enough of the air pushed up and over the rider and the C3 visor will stay up all day long.
    yeah, not gotta happen on an R1200R... oh well, thanks for the input.

Updated report

I promised to report back..

I now have about 1,000 miles on it. And it's still great. Fit is perfect for me, snug with no hotspots. On my old C2's and the original Concept, I used to get some ear pain after 3-4 hours with my earplugs. None at all on the C3.

Biggest pluses to it I've found so far:

- Weight. Lighter IS better. Lots better. I don't get tired of riding as quickly.. (or at all really..)

- Wind-flow. Seems better then the C1 and C2, when I turn my head for a shoulder check, the helmet doesn't catch the wind at all, and it doesn't continue to turn a bit as the C1 and C2 did (I think windage + fit caused that.)

The dayglow seems to be catching on.. four local club members are sporting it now. It sure makes it easy to see the guy at the back of a line of riders if he's wearing the glowing-orb helmet.

Question for those who are using the Scala/Schuberth comm system.. can you hear it with earplugs in? While the C3 is lots quieter then my C2 or other helmets were, I still prefer to try to save my remaining hearing, so I always wear custom earplugs. Is the comm system usable that way?

I'm riding an R1200R with the helmet in fairly clear air.. I have several Cee-Bailey shields I swap on depending on the weather expected.

For the people expecting it to stay open at speed.. why? The "city" position (when the bottom of the shield isn't snapped into the snap-lock) works great for me unless I come to a complete stop. It's a real non-issue for me. I thought I'd miss the city-position the C1 and C2 had (where the screen popped forward), but I don't at all.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by 70547 View Post
    I have a new C3 (spring 2012) and had the same forehead issue. I resolved this with a rasp and it is now fine.

The bigger issue to me is that the face shield does not stay where left. I often ride with my shield open (like the wind in my face). When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed (all the other helmets I have owned including a BMW System II were designed with a better detent on the shield holding it where it was placed), but I could try some fuzzy from a Velcro under the shield to increase pressure. I tried this and it improved, but not enough. I later removed the velcro and installed some O rings on the shield mounting posts - this has resolved the issue, but now the shield movement may be too stiff. Anyway, way to expensive a helmet to have an issue such as this.
    FWIW - I don't see it as an "issue" at all. The helmet's primary design function is to protect you. It doesn't protect you as well with the windscreen open, so Schuberth designed it to close - not to stay open. I think if you like wind in your face (with the accompanying bugs/rain/sand/etc) - you bought the wrong helmet.

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I promised to report back..

I now have about 1,000 miles on it. And it's still great. Fit is perfect for me, snug with no hotspots. On my old C2's and the original Concept, I used to get some ear pain after 3-4 hours with my earplugs. None at all on the C3.

Biggest pluses to it I've found so far:

- Weight. Lighter IS better. Lots better. I don't get tired of riding as quickly.. (or at all really..)

- Wind-flow. Seems better then the C1 and C2, when I turn my head for a shoulder check, the helmet doesn't catch the wind at all, and it doesn't continue to turn a bit as the C1 and C2 did (I think windage + fit caused that.)

The dayglow seems to be catching on.. four local club members are sporting it now. It sure makes it easy to see the guy at the back of a line of riders if he's wearing the glowing-orb helmet.

Question for those who are using the Scala/Schuberth comm system.. can you hear it with earplugs in? While the C3 is lots quieter then my C2 or other helmets were, I still prefer to try to save my remaining hearing, so I always wear custom earplugs. Is the comm system usable that way?

I'm riding an R1200R with the helmet in fairly clear air.. I have several Cee-Bailey shields I swap on depending on the weather expected.

For the people expecting it to stay open at speed.. why? The "city" position (when the bottom of the shield isn't snapped into the snap-lock) works great for me unless I come to a complete stop. It's a real non-issue for me. I thought I'd miss the city-position the C1 and C2 had (where the screen popped forward), but I don't at all.

how is the ventilation when it's closed? Do you get airflow in the helmet with all vents open to max?

Touring Rider

Earplugs

I have the BMW headset system installed, and I can hear it just fine with the earplugs in. I had to turn the volume up a bit, but that is all. If I wore it withour earplugs, I would no doubt have to turn it back down. On the BMW integrated volume I went from a volume level of 10 to 13 when the earlpugs went in. Please note, however, that I am not listening to music. GPS or intercom only.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by MD11driver View Post
    how is the ventilation when it's closed? Do you get airflow in the helmet with all vents open to max?
    It's been fine for me. There are two primary vents - chin and top.. there is an exhaust out the back of the helmet, but that isn't adjustable. I can feel the airflow on the two primary vents. The top vent also has a winter/summer position (a flap in the liner inside).. mines in summer mode, but with the amount of airflow the helmet makes, I can see why they have the flap adjustment.

One point that I think some people may be missing.. the helmet has an almost locked closed position.. there is a plastic catch sorta deal on the bottom of the faceshield and the top edge of the chinbar. When it's engaged it pulls the shield into the recess and seals it up quite tightly. Good for rain, or - I've found - over about 70MPH (quiets things down even more.) If you don't engage it (and it takes a concious effort on mine, pushing both faceshield tabs down) the helmet is left cracked open along the bottom edge, about 1/8" - with a smaller gap also around the two sides. At any reasonable speed that allows quite a bit of air into the helmet.

I imagine it wouldn't work that well behind a barn-door shield, but behind the somewhat smallish shield on my R12R it works just fine. I've only gotten up to around 90F on the bike with it so far (ain't NJ weather wonderful?!) so I'll report back when I exceed that. If you are behind a barn-door, I think the first click open position should hold it open just fine.. mine will stay in that position up to around 45 MPH, then it closes by itself to where the catch is keeping it slightly open.