Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Schuberth C3 helmets

S-2 Liner

The S-2 liner solves the problem very well. I took mine out for the first long
    ride since I've had it yesterday and it was very comfortable for the entire time.
    Solved the problem completely. Thanks Schuberth for great service!

Am I the only one that wears a liner?

After reading the voluminous replies about the C3, the fit and spooning a helmet, I can offer a suggestion that works to ease some of the problems with the "Mark of Schuberth". I too have a mark on the front of my now expanding forehead (thanks, Grandpa!) and can add that the mark still remains after nearly 3000 miles of continuous wear. It fits great, but I found that the liner near the vent holes inside was the problem. Not wanting to remove the only fabric between my skin and foam, I found that a do-rag helped some but something better had to be out there. My ears found uncomfortable spots too. The answer was a Sliks helmet liner (http://www.cyclecrafts.net/index.php..._id=1&Itemid=1) made here in the US of A and at a great price. Slide the helmet on and off without problem; wash the Sliks liner instead of the helmet one, and no more red head. Best money ever spent. Now let's talk about my C3 fogging in a two day long ride in the rain! 600 miles of cool, rainy weather, pinlock or not, that sucker fogged until I could equalize the temp inside. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ExFed750 View Post
    The answer was a Sliks helmet liner (http://www.cyclecrafts.net/index.php..._id=1&Itemid=1) made here in the US of A and at a great price. Slide the helmet on and off without problem.
    I used my silk liner on Sunday hoping it would help, but the helmet was so tight, I had a headache all morning. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a Shoei Neotec to solve my problem. My visor fogs up sometimes too on cold mornings.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

Quote Originally Posted by ExFed750 View Post
    Now let's talk about my C3 fogging in a two day long ride in the rain! 600 miles of cool, rainy weather, pinlock or not, that sucker fogged until I could equalize the temp inside. Any suggestions?
    Spent a 3 day weekend in the rain recently.. on day one, rain of biblical proportions. I agree that the fogging is a problem. I never had the problem on my C2 or C1 helmets, which had the inside of the face shield coated with antifog treatment.

I think the pinlock is only a partial answer - mine doesn't work particularly well. The only way I found to keep it fog free enough to actually see out of, was (1) go fast, not always possible, especially interesting in rain when you can't see where you're going fast or (2) crack the faceshield open and just put up with the rain dripping down the inside and on my nose and chin. Problem is - it doesn't like to stay cracked open as much as was needed to keep the shield clear.

I've been meaning to add an O ring to the pivot mechanism to add a bit of friction so the shield will stay where I put it. Other people use self-stick-fuzzy.. Whatever, it needs something.

Not a fan of pinlock (aside from it working not so well - it adds a second layer of glare off the plastic surfaces.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I must have just gotten lucky. You may recall the 2011 IBR was one wet ride. Serious rain, serious flooding. I wore my C3 during all that [and much more] and I most definately can say there is no fogging problem with my C3.

The pinlock works for me but there is some reflection/glare cause by it as Don notes.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    I must have just gotten lucky. You may recall the 2011 IBR was one wet ride. Serious rain, serious flooding. I wore my C3 during all that [and much more] and I most definately can say there is no fogging problem with my C3.

The pinlock works for me but there is some reflection/glare cause by it as Don notes.
    Then I'm a lucky one also. I've put about 8,000 miles on my C3 with the pinlock face shield in all seasons, weather, and conditions including some biblical rain at 50F temps and I've never seen any fogging of my shield at all.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I think the pinlock is only a partial answer - mine doesn't work particularly well. The only way I found to keep it fog free enough to actually see out of, was (1) go fast, not always possible, especially interesting in rain when you can't see where you're going fast or (2) crack the faceshield open and just put up with the rain dripping down the inside and on my nose and chin. Problem is - it doesn't like to stay cracked open as much as was needed to keep the shield clear.

Not a fan of pinlock (aside from it working not so well - it adds a second layer of glare off the plastic surfaces.)
    I usually agree with Don's theories, ideas, and suggestions, but we differ here. Maybe Don is riding in more humid air than I am? Maybe Don is riding in cooler air than I am? Regardless of the reason, I ride 15,000 miles a year in Seattle, and I wouldn't do it without the Pinlock on my C3 visor.

Of course, like most gear (and exactly like Gore-Tex), it doesn't work if it isn't perfectly clean. Tiny specks of dust and spots and runs from dried precipitation attracts fog to the lens. Keep that Pinlock clean and it won't fog up. I use Plexus, and I've had excellent results over the past seven years (five with a Shoei Multitec with a Pinlock insert and two with my C3 with a Pinlock insert).

My visor is almost always open a tiny crack to let air in - not to prevent fogging, but because I simply like having fresh air stream through the helmet. With the visor cracked only a tiny amount, I don't experience water leaking inside and dripping on my face.

Of course, what you ride has a huge impact on how the helmet functions. When I'm on my RTP with the largest windscreen Aeroflow makes, I stay much drier/warmer than I am on the GSA with the stock screen.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'll investigate the Shoei Neotec when it's time to replace my C3, but there's a pretty good chance I'll buy another C3 (or whatever supersedes the C3) when the time comes to replace my helmet.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    FWIW - I don't see it as an "issue" at all. The helmet's primary design function is to protect you. It doesn't protect you as well with the windscreen open, so Schuberth designed it to close - not to stay open. I think if you like wind in your face (with the accompanying bugs/rain/sand/etc) - you bought the wrong helmet.
    So, what about all the people having examples of this helmet that do stay open at speed? If, as you state, Schuberth really designed them to close at speed, does this mean that all of the ones which will remain open are actually defective pieces of gear, in need of replacement by Schuberth as a warranty item?

Mine stays open or closes depending on which of my bikes I'm on. It's all about the bikes windscreen and my riding position.

Oops, sorry. I have a C2
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

10. 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Cool

36+years riding...a myriad of helmets and bikes...my new C3 is the finest helmet I have had. :-)

Thumbs up Schuberth C3 helmets

Schuberth has come out with a new (revised) helmet in addition to the C3. New version C3 Pro due out in spring 2013 in US. Waiting on DOT approval being told. Supposed to address hot spot issues with newly designed liner. Already out in Canada. Price maybe slightly higher?

John
    Like so many other people, I had the C3 liner headache. I emailed customer support and asked about trying a C2 liner? After answering a couple of questions my liner arrived at my house in about a week. No cost to me. Problem fixed.
    John

Schuberth C3 On Sale

I just purchased a new black C3 for $599.99 at Fort Worth BMW. They have a few solid colors left at this sale price.
    92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

Cool C3 World Edition with SRC - Mark of Schuberth! :)

I purchased my C3 last year, sized it perfect, rode home on my R1200GS and had to rip the helmet off my head from the pain after 1 hour!

OMG What Have I Done!

About 10+ hours later I stopped noticing it, and now I do all day riding, early morning to night, and while there may be the lightest mark left, it's vanishing. The helmet broke in, absolutely the best fitting, comfortable helmet. Love it. The C3 Pro looks even better for those whose head just never formed to the helmet , and I believe I heard that it's liner can be retrofitted to the C3 as well so there's hope if you haven't overcome the Mark of Schuberth yet on your C3.

Regarding the SRC, I had to add a little extra layer of Velcro behind the SRC speakers to get them closer to my ears, but after that, the sound is great. As a little extra perk to the sound, buy an equalizer program for your phone and play music through it, like Equalizer Pro, or whatever you like. It makes a world of difference if you want well rounded sound vs optimized sound produced from factory settings on the SRC.

I hope my feedback helps some people. Enjoy!