Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Schuberth C3 helmets

New C3 here. So far so good as to comfort. Guess I have a Teutonic head.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Touring Rider

Mark of Schuberth

I have the same problem with the 'Mark of Schuberth' on my forehead. Dealer tried 'massaging' the liner, but it did not do a lot of good. I have worn Arai helmets for the last 25 years, and they have ALWAYS been comfortable. However, to take advantage of the bluetooth system designed for the bike, I decided to give it a try. Except for the sore forehead (I typically ride 6 to 8 hours at a time), I am happy with it. I'll try some of the suggestions in earlier posts, and see if that helps.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

I've never owned a helmet that I didn't have to spoon in several times to relieve the pressure points. On my C3, it took about four tries to get it right. Now it's well broken in and is just 'there', no problems and now quite comfortable.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Motorradfahrer
    I responded to this madness in my own thread names tight pants to break in among other things. Using kitchen utensils to break in helmets just might be a sign you are a redneck. Cmon, get the hint. I know there will be many defenders on this practice but they are also driven to work on short yellow buses. Would you buy size 32 pants when you are a 34 and then stretch them to fit? This is the possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard of in my life. You are compressing the foam with kitchen utensils to relieve pressure points on the hard foam that is there to protect you in case of a hit to the head. The lighter foam around that is there for comfort and if you are getting hot spots beyond that you are not properly fit. I mean women do this crap with shoes all the time and then complain about their feet but this is your head we are talking about. Obviously there is not a lot to protect when prying on the helmet to make it fit sounds like a good idea when you just dropped $700. People have been trying to bang square pegs into round holes for years but this takes the cake. The fact that so many have done this makes me sad for the future. I though BMW riders were more educated than most but obviously I was wrong. This is so stupid it makes me angry. Each of you should be slapped until conscious.

Touring Rider
    Kevin, the alternative was buying a helmet that was dangerously loose (next size larger). Thank you, but I'll play with the spoons to have a helmet that won't fly off when you need it.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Thank you for your well thought out opinion, Kevin.

I only wish you were around to mentor me when I started riding motorcycles 56 years ago.

I have so much to learn from your wise counsel.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Doesn't compressing part of the helmet's foam diminish that area's protective quality? To me it seems that you'd wind up with a helmet that is "pre-crashed" and ought to be returned to the manufacturer for the free post-crash inspection they offer.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Not when you're only compressing small hot-spot areas roughly 1/8 of an inch. After sitting a little, the area then recovers to about 1/16 of an inch - which is why you may have to spoon the same area several times. The adjustments are so small that a proper shell may recover 100 percent several times before it stays compressed a little.

With the Schuberth, most that need to work it down some are doing so only at the extreme left and right of the temple. That's teh area the the foam shell is split. The minute amount of this adjustment does not diminish the crash protection.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Motorradfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Thank you for your well thought out opinion, Kevin.

I only wish you were around to mentor me when I started riding motorcycles 56 years ago.

I have so much to learn from your wise counsel.
    Not opinion, fact. Denial is powerful when you have to buy the latest and greatest.

Motorradfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by GRLambert View Post
    Kevin, the alternative was buying a helmet that was dangerously loose (next size larger). Thank you, but I'll play with the spoons to have a helmet that won't fly off when you need it.
    A good fitting helmet should fit right. You bought the wrong helmet for your head. Not everyone needs a Schuberth. Again, prying on it with kitchen utensils is the first clue you bought the wrong helmet.

Motorradfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
    Doesn't compressing part of the helmet's foam diminish that area's protective quality? To me it seems that you'd wind up with a helmet that is "pre-crashed" and ought to be returned to the manufacturer for the free post-crash inspection they offer.
    YES, YES, YES ! ! ! This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It is like lemmings jumping off a cliff with the wrong size helmet.

I bought a Schuberth years ago when they were originally available in the US. The fitting technique was to intentionally buy it with it "feeling too tight". After awhile, it form fitted to the head and was no problem-perfect fit.

I love this thread, I just can't help myself. The options are such a wide variety, although I know I am closed minded and know that my opinion is the only one that counts....I 150% agree with Jogitu. But if I was stuck with an ill fitting helmet I guess I would try all options including spooning the darn thing.... Impulsive buys do bring this up (not just in buying helmets)

Most important lession here is knowing your helmet shape, knowing your size, doing a ton of research and then trying the darn thing on for about 20 mins. webbikeworld is great information.

I am in the process of getting a knew helmet and will try the Nolan N104 and the Shoei Neotec. Both have a different internal shape and I believe I will end up with the N104, but I want to double check and if neither fit right I will go back to my exsisting helmet, a Shoei X-11 and fits my lemon perfect. I can't see myself spending $1000.00 on a helmet in my lifetime. That is excess, but I understand why people do it. For me it must be fit, craftsmanship/quality, price and features.

To be continued......
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

you might consider a Skorpion. I have the modular, and coming from the Schuberth, it's quite excellent and a good fit. I've had it two years, now, and the internal shade hasn't crapped out like the Schuberth's did after 1 month.

I did like my Schuberth, I wore it out! When it came time to replace mine, they weren't selling in the USA.