Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Schuberth C3 helmets

Hybrid View

Schuberth C3 helmets

I'm new to BMW bikes and to this forum. My husband owns a K1600 GTL and we purchased 2 Schuberth C3 helmets with communication systems. I was wondering if anyone is having the same problem that we are with this helmet. After about an hour of riding, the seam in the memory foam(?) begins to irritate the top of my forehead, actually causing quite a bit of discomfort. The helmet leaves a huge mark on my husband's head. We just want to rip the helmets off because they are so painful! Our local dealer has told us that she has talked to the company and that the memory foam has not adjusted to our heads. She suggested that we put a 5-10 lb. weight inside the helmet for a few hours to press it in. We are doing that and haven't ridden yet to know if it has worked. Just wondering about others' experiences with this expensive helmet.
    (forgive me if I've posted on the wrong thread)

Michael and Kristy P.

Riding Geek

Mark of Schuberth

You have the common mark of Schuberth. Lots of people get that when first breaking in the helmet. My pressure point was on the side and eventually broke in (about 20 hours of riding).

Many people have found the pressure goes away after a few weeks of breaking in. Once broken in, I have found the Schuberth to be the most comfortable helmet I ever owned.

Before it broke in, I was cursing my self for having bought it, and got bad headaches after a couple hour ride. It will break in, but give it time.

I've got almost no hair left and what I do have I keep at 1/4 inch or less. Saturday I went out on a ride for a couple of hours in 40 degree weather and the vent channels in the schuberth left almost a perfect red virtual Mohawk on my forehead. Got lots of looks.

Kristy, welcome to the club and congrats on an awesome purchase (K16GTL)!

I have the C3 lady version and I love mine. I've heard that there is a break in period and I'm sure I did too but I can't remember, I've had mine for nearly 3 years and I love it!

Some people take the back side of a spoon and try to mash down the foam a little bit. Just try to rub the spoon back and forth to loosen it up a little and help it smash down. Give it a little more time, ride some, smash some with a spoon, ride some more, smash some more and hopefully it will begin to fit right.

I hope it works out, I think it's a great helmet but if it isn't comfortable then it's worthless.

Good luck!
    Tina
    Tina's RedHot ROCKET!- 2010 K1300GT I just love him!
    2005 R1200ST totaled
    BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington DC
    "Jesus is coming!! LOOK BUSY"

John
    I have about 5000 miles on my C3. I have the same red mark. I talked to the rep on the phone about the same headache problem after an hour of riding. I tried the book compression for 3 days and still had headache. I eded up (by the reps suggestion) cutting out the winter flap at the forehead vent. This improved things some but did not end the problem. I ended up compressing the foam slightly at some of the other pressure points with a spoon. The rep said it was not a sanctioned fix but I did it and I am more comfortable in the helmet. Finally. Give them a call for some advise. Pretty nice folks.

jay1622
    Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    I have about 5000 miles on my C3. I have the same red mark. I talked to the rep on the phone about the same headache problem after an hour of riding. I tried the book compression for 3 days and still had headache. I eded up (by the reps suggestion) cutting out the winter flap at the forehead vent. This improved things some but did not end the problem. I ended up compressing the foam slightly at some of the other pressure points with a spoon. The rep said it was not a sanctioned fix but I did it and I am more comfortable in the helmet. Finally. Give them a call for some advise. Pretty nice folks.
    +1

My wife said the mark on my bald head made me look like something out of Star Trek (the original series). While it can be said this takes away from the protective properties of the compressible foam in the helmet, I , with the exception of cutting out the winter flap, did the same exact thing as Evrydayride mentions above. An absolute world of difference. I would guess I compressed it by a mm or two.

My C3 was comfortable from day one but I seem to be in the minority. My head circumference is at the upper limit of a size--and the Schuberth fit chart has a 1 cm gap between sizes--so based on all the posts about headaches, skid markes, etc. I bought the next size up. Voila, no headaches and my eyes don't bulge when I put it on .. . Hmmm. I wonder if their fit chart is about 1 cm too tight for a lot of people.

Great helmet although I wish the shades stayed up better. Has anybody found a fix for the drooping? For the $$$$$ price I'd like a snappy detent. And hey--those icy scalp-massage-jets DO keep you ALERT . .
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

Thanks for the welcome and for all of the helpful hints!
    I sent an email to Schuberth this morning, couldn't find a phone number for them.
    We'll see what they say, but in the meantime I will try these ideas and hope and pray that this gets better! We've never owned a motorcycle before and are looking forward to many trips as we will be empty nesters in the fall.
    Kristy

Greetings, I don't own a Schuberth helmet as it is out of my price league and the helmet shape does not fit my helmet correctly. However, I do know that they sell different pads and foam to "custom fit" the helmets, as we all do have slightly different head shapes.

Since I have logged thousand of miles, I have found that most helmets do require a break in period, until the foam conforms to our heads. However, leaving marks on you, creating headaches and such sounds like an ill fitting helmet. May I suggest finding out what your head shape is.... if memory serves me the Schuberth C3 and C3W helmets are Neutral going to slightly round. I my self am a Neutral going to slightly narrow. For a $800.00 helmet plus the 300.00 communication system I find it difficult to accept having to "customize" a helmet on your own. To me, helmets are like shoes and gloves: First impressions are priceless. They either fit or they don't, no maybe, or if I break them in. That has NEVER been the case with my prior helmets, shoes or gloves.

Best of luck.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by 176669 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and for all of the helpful hints!
    I sent an email to Schuberth this morning, couldn't find a phone number for them.
    We'll see what they say, but in the meantime I will try these ideas and hope and pray that this gets better! We've never owned a motorcycle before and are looking forward to many trips as we will be empty nesters in the fall.
    Kristy
    Kristy,

Welcome to BMW Motorcycles. I hope you can resolve your helmet issue, however I need to bring up a non-helmet point......

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me you and your husband are approaching riding motorcycles in a safe manner. In other words, you are both taking a Basic Riders Course of some sort, and then you are both going to follow this up with lots and lots of parking lot practice?

The K1600GTL is a fantastic machine but if you don't learn to ride properly, you could both be in for a very short riding career.

Please, DO NOT rush into this. Start slow and work your way up. Give your skills time to develop.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Ridin' Retired Ranger

Red Devil Mark of an angry forehead

I have 22k miles in this helmet that I also bought because of the Bluetooth custom add-on.
    I hurt so bad - what a stupid design to have the helmet rest on your forehead and have all that sewing right there! I finally bought a sweat liner - that keeps the helmet 1mm off my fo'hd and works...but damn does that get hot in summer heat. The C3 sucks for ventilation - 2 little ports on top and the crap mouth vent that does nothing behind a windshield....
    I'm really not impressed with this helmet except for the quiet - sounds like closing a car door on a German car - thunk and quiet....
    The cheek pads are just as tight as when I bought it and oh by the way - NO they do NOT have other pads you can buy. I checked.

I will try the spoon thing tonite and report back in a couple of days.

thanks for the write-up - I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed that I spent $1100 for pain.
    Smooth throttles and spirited twisties!

TC

Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.

I agree - I really like the ventilation - I love going down the road and opening the vents just to feel the air go over the top of my hair - it's kind of a neat feeling and it feels good!
    Tina's RedHot ROCKET!- 2010 K1300GT I just love him!
    2005 R1200ST totaled
    BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington DC
    "Jesus is coming!! LOOK BUSY"

So I read the German Motorrad Mag every 2 weeks and I was awaiting their flip test results... before the end results they clearly marked that folks in this market buy a helmet due to price, how it looks and most of all fit. For me fit is the most important, then price then how it looks....and the results of the top 5:.....

1. Shoei Neotec with 87/100 points (they noted how rediculously expensive it is)
    2. HJC R-Pha Max with 86/100 points (this helmet is not yet available in the US, according to Revzilla it is due to be release in the fall) Prices suggest around $400.00.
    3. Schuberth C3 with 86/100 points (they report sinfully expensive helmet that is showing some of his age, multiple reports of ill fitting to customers)
    4. BMW System 6 with 84/100 points (not available in the US)
    5. Nolan N-104 with 73/100 points (they report a difficult opening system for the untrained EMS worker to open the lid up)

I can't find any helmet shape references for the HJC R-Pha Max or the BMW System 6 helmets, but do know that the Shoei and Schuberth are rated as Neutral helmet shape and the Nolan as a slightly narrow. Just like the webbikeworld.com report says: head shape and therefore helmet fit may just decide which helmet one should purchase.....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Arrow Head - the Mark of a Schuberth

Quote Originally Posted by 176669 View Post
    I'm new to BMW bikes and to this forum. My husband owns a K1600 GTL and we purchased 2 Schuberth C3 helmets with communication systems. I was wondering if anyone is having the same problem that we are with this helmet. After about an hour of riding, the seam in the memory foam(?) begins to irritate the top of my forehead, actually causing quite a bit of discomfort. The helmet leaves a huge mark on my husband's head. We just want to rip the helmets off because they are so painful! Our local dealer has told us that she has talked to the company and that the memory foam has not adjusted to our heads. She suggested that we put a 5-10 lb. weight inside the helmet for a few hours to press it in. We are doing that and haven't ridden yet to know if it has worked. Just wondering about others' experiences with this expensive helmet.
    (forgive me if I've posted on the wrong thread)

Michael and Kristy P.
    I had the same experience with pain and the telltale red mark at the top center part of my forehead from my C3. I tried the spoon trick, but found a forceful thumb to press on the foam slightly more effective. Might not work for everyone, but it worked for me. Very little redness in the center of my forehead now and it's generally more comfortable.