Thread: Milwaukee restaurant recs requested

Ute's Chauffeur

Milwaukee restaurant recs requested

We are going to Milwaukee in late May and would like recommendations for restaurants. We are particularly interested in German food as my wife is from Stuttgart and likes to sample her"peeps" food (of course commenting to me how it just isn't the real thing). Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    We are going to Milwaukee in late May and would like recommendations for restaurants. We are particularly interested in German food as my wife is from Stuttgart and likes to sample her"peeps" food (of course commenting to me how it just isn't the real thing). Thanks
    When my son and I go to Milwaukee Bucks games (NBA), this restaurant lies between where we park (near the Milwaukee School of Engineering) and the Bradley Center Arena.

World-famous German heritage location - bring your stein or purchase an authentic German one there and have a beer on me!

Take a look at the distinquished guests that have patronized this landmark restaurant - then add your names to the list.

http://www.madersrestaurant.com/

You will find parking just west of the restaurant, and a stroll along the river walk may also prove entertaining. Enjoy Maders!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I hear Karl Ratzsch's is good for German with entrees in the $20-30 range. http://www.karlratzsch.com/

If that's more than you care to spend, try Kegel's Inn. They've got plenty of choices for under $20. http://www.kegelsinn.com/
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Yes by all means Maders, she will be impressed, would like to hear what she says though!
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

for non-German food...
    burgers - Sobelman's: burgers in an old tavern, try the Sobelburger (3 kinds of cheese, bacon, grilled jalapenos & onions) (www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com)

frozen custard - Kopp's (3 locations) vanilla, chocolate and flavor of the day - think Haagen-Daz but better! (www.kopps.com)

fancy dress-up restaurant- Lake Park Bistro... beautiful Lake Michigan views, great food (www.lakeparkbistro.com)

incredibly cheap, funky Mexican - Conejito's: a bar with cheap but tasty Mexican food (served on paper plates) You and a friend can eat/drink very well for under $20 total! (www.conejitos-place.com)

If you're in town on a Friday, check out the classic Friday fish fry (a tradition in these parts) at Lakefront Brewery - including a polka band and get a tour of the brewery!!
    (www.lakefrontbrewery.com or for the fish fry: www.lakefrontpalmgarden.com)

or a favorite for all the candidates for the Presidential office:
    American Serb Hall: but their fish fry is cod only, no perch or anything else
    (www.americanserbhall.com)

hope these help! If you need other suggestions, you can always research dining and more at www.onmilwaukee.com
    (I"m not an employee, just a satisfied user of the site)
    Last edited by tvgal2000; 04-15-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

Maders is fantastic. Whenever we ride to Kettle-Moraine we stop at Maders for dinner on the way back.

Great food !!!

Earache
    Check out the Hi Hat and Garage Bar;
    http://hihatgarage.com/

Owned by bikers and a pretty cool place, too.

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    I stopped by here for the 105th when I had a Harley.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-german-beer-hall-milwaukee

I have been to both Mader's and Ratzsch's and highly recommend them both for German food. If we are staying downtown we will usually eat at one or the other. If you are in the mood for hamburgers and custard, I also second the Kopp's recommendation.

Ute's Chauffeur
    You're suggestions are giving us a serious case of the anticipatory food drools. Thanks again we are very much looking forward to the trip.

Hi: It's not a restaurant, but Google usingers. They will ship their product so you can have German type sausages and meats at your home. It would have been nice if your visit could have been timed to coincide with Germanfest at the Summerfest grounds. try germanfest.com I hope you enjoy your visit. Frank Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Hi: It's not a restaurant, but Google usingers. They will ship their product so you can have German type sausages and meats at your home. It would have been nice if your visit could have been timed to coincide with Germanfest at the Summerfest grounds. try germanfest.com I hope you enjoy your visit. Frank Coleman
    And Usingers is right across the street from Mader's
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    This year German Fest is 7/26-29th. They have some great German food and beer as well as about 5 stages of music going on. It's really a great festival and I have been there 3 times so far. It's especially good to go to after watching the Cubs BEAT the Brewers as the usually do....lol.

www.germanfest.com