Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Share the road?

I sound my horn when approaching bicyclists, on my bike or in my truck and they usually show there appreciation by telling me I am #1, at least I think that is why they are holding up one finger for me.

As a cyclists as well as a motorcyclist I have to start with the statement that there are a$$holes in every mode of transportation. The notion of treating bicyclists as one would deer is unfortunately appropriate. When cycling I can appreciate a toot of the horn from a way back so that I not surprised by a vehicle passing. When tootled by a prolonged horn blast at close range it can be startling to the point of being dangerous. Bicyclists are much more vulnerable than motorcyclists (although some don't ride that way) and they are the recipients of menacing, road rage and assault by motorists who see them as "others" who rightly deserve hatred and random meanspiritedness.

I am not a pack rider, not a "Lance" or a hipster, but more of a Clydsdale/Fred. Even as a law abiding old guy, I have been on the receiving end of bike-hater agression several times including startling horn blasts for no reason other than the blaster was being a dick.

If a bicyclist is riding stupid it may be because he/she is inexperienced or just stupid. Still they have a right to use the road (at least here in Oregon) and most cyclists just want to go along and get along. Guess I'm just say'n that it is just as easy to be an ambassador of good will when riding as not.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I lay on the horn then let them know there number one!
    yea, cause that sure shows cyclists what a great group of guys and gals we as motorcyclists are.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Yeah, like the cager honking at the motorcycle.
    I forgive the bicyclists. I'm one of them, also.
    The bicycles can do the least amount of damage to me. But I can do the most amount of damage to them. It would hurt me financially, and emotionally. I do not want to hurt a bicyclist.

I have had dirt bikers cut me off in exactly the same manner as these bicycles, with the op.
    dc

Mean bicyclists kicked my R60/6 down an embankment where it was parked at the side of the road. I guess they thought they owned the road, and didn't like the idea of sharing the parkway (yes, a state park). It took me a while to drag the thing up. I was just down by the river enjoying the view, and happened to look up as they passed, about 6 to 8 of them when one of them reached out with his foot and kicked it on over. Luckily, I had duct tape to re-hang the rear turn signal bar and broken turn signals. Always carry duct tape with you in case of mean bicyclists! They tried to kick the '48 Indian Chief over, as well, but that thing is a lot heavier...my buddy helped to drag the R60 up the embankment. Those mean bicyclists were long gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Mean bicyclists kicked my R60/6 down an embankment where it was parked at the side of the road. I guess they thought they owned the road, and didn't like the idea of sharing the parkway (yes, a state park). It took me a while to drag the thing up. I was just down by the river enjoying the view, and happened to look up as they passed, about 6 to 8 of them when one of them reached out with his foot and kicked it on over. Luckily, I had duct tape to re-hang the rear turn signal bar and broken turn signals. Always carry duct tape with you in case of mean bicyclists! They tried to kick the '48 Indian Chief over, as well, but that thing is a lot heavier...my buddy helped to drag the R60 up the embankment. Those mean bicyclists were long gone by then.
    well, that sure was pretty ridiculous behavior on their part. pretty atypical, I would think (hope).
    Last edited by bikerfish1100; 05-01-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    As a law abiding bicycle commuter, I 'd like to be able to ride with a sign announcing that I'm not like those others. One problem is that too many riders grow up with the idea of the bicycle as a toy and that the rules of the road don't apply to them. The pack mentality exacerbates the problem.

If this should happen again, try to notice bike shop or other local sponsor screens on the jerseys and complain to those sponsors about the behavior of those wearing their name. My LBS threatened to stop sponsoring a local group if the riding behavior the members did not improve. It worked.

Bob Koreis
    '02 R1150RT
    '98 Waterford 2200, Canary Yellow w/Campy Chorus
    +1
    '02 R1150RT

A lot of them (not all) like to point out their bicycle is more eco-friendly than whatever you are riding/driving. As such they've developed a "holier than thou" attitude.

I pulled up at a red light for a right turn and made a complete and full stop to check all was clear before proceeding. A bicycle rider pulls up along my left side and without slowing hooks a sharp right turn in front of me just as I'm pulling out into my turn.

Another time, I'm approaching a controlled crosswalk. There are people standing on the sidewalk (to my right) along with one person on a bicycle. The crosswalk light showed a red hand for do not enter. Just as I'm about to reach the crosswalk, the bicycle rider pulls out into the street. I hit the brakes and my horn. The bicycle rider makes a panic stop right in front of me (...didn't see me?). He then points to the white lines and yells he has the right of way, then proceeds on towards the "red Hand" which was telling him not to be in the crosswalk in the first place.

As others have said, the best way to approach bicycle riders is to expect them to NOT follow the road rules of polite society.
    Last edited by Artiee; 05-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

I think we can agree that there are smart and truly dumb people on or in every type of vehicle. The smart (aware) ones try to make the drive/ride safer not only for themself but also other road users. The dumb think only of themself. The dumbest don't think of themselves either.

It boggles my mind that any adult would ride a bicycle on a public road without a mirror. You HAVE to know what is coming up behind you! And if you are on a narrow back road, see a wide vehicle approaching you in a blind left bend, it makes good sense to move to the middle of the lane to block any attempted pass by the vehicle behind you. When safe, move to the right, wave them by, and give them a thumbs up.

Just an example, but I think the idea of taking charge of a situation, and then acknowledging the person who respected you is THE way to diffuse road rage. Let's practice it, even as we know not all will. Have to start somewhere.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I’m an x bicycle racer who spends more time on a bicycle than I do on my motorcycles, putting on hundreds of miles a month riding the two lane costal and twisty mountain roads of Santa Cruz.

The latest statistic from Cal-Trans is “Single vehicles running off the road to the right are causing 33% of traffic fatalities,”

If you feel vulnerable at all on a motorcycle regarding car/motorcycle collisions, try spending a few hundred miles on a bicycle in traffic now days. It is not an activity for the faint of heart or the timid.

A strong case can be made for the bicyclist taking the lane in certain situations, and in many states it is legal to do so.

Of course, as has been said already, there are idiot bicyclists much like there are idiot motorcyclists.

A recent law here, PA., requires motorists passing a bicyclist to give the bicyclist four clear feet of room when passing. That means crossing a double yellow into oncoming lane at the motorists risk. Also, here, we cannot lane split, pass on the right, run stop signs and lights, ride the sidewalk when inconvenienced on the street, ect.. all things routinely going unobserved by the bicyclist. Recently a bicyclist, while making an illegal left at an intersection, was hit by a motorist. Who's paying for that hospital bill? Who's paying for the damage done to the motor vehicle? Rules of the road need to be observed by all users of public thoroughfares. Licensing and testing should be required for the same.

Yes, the law requires them to give the bicyclist 4 feet of space, even if it means crossing the double yellow line with danger to the racing maniac motorist, or, he can slow his raggedy a** down and show some courtesy to someone else in this world. And wait for a safe moment to pass. Oh, no, wait, he can't. He is too big and important to do anything other than race his car like a maniac. Big and important, just like a pizza delivery boy.
    Here is Los Angeles (I haven't been to PA for a few years) they drive like frantic maniacs. Like 'get this pizza over on Main Street in 5 minutes, or you have to pay for it.'
    Training? Are you joking? What training or education do the car drivers get? None, as far as it showing.
    dc

HaHA

The bicyclist that made the illegal left WAS delivering a pizza.

As far as training ,you are correct. ALL need more training and education to navigate the roads SAFELY.

My main 'rule' when riding my bicycle, motorcycle, or car: "Don't do anything that will cause another driver to have to put on his brakes or turn his steering wheel." Overly simple, perhaps, but still effective.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Pizza delivery on a bicycle? I find that extremely difficult to believe. That pizza will be cold, if it ever gets there.
    dc