Thread: Reynolds Ride off stand

Reynolds Ride off stand

Anyone know of a source for parts for reynolds stands. I need the spring and frame clip for a stand on a 1977 r75/7. Please let me know.
    bmwjim@suddenlink.net
    Jim

I don't know any, but you could look into the used part places listed here. Check ebay...they come up once in a while.

The stand I believe you have is the R320...I have it on my /7. This picture shows the parts photographed against paper with 1/4" between grid lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

James.A
    There are reasons not to use a ride-off stand. The number 1 reason is that if you use it to "ride off", it will eventually wreck the bolt threads, or more importantly the threads in the frame lugs where the bushings pivot. The number 2 reason is that it defeats the ability to have one wheel off the ground when the bike is on the center stand. On a /7, the OEM stand allows the front wheel to be elevated, but the bike is so well balanced that if you drop the rear wheel, the bike will rest on the front wheel.

Stand

I do not use the ride off stand to ride off of I have repaired too many input shafts on others bikes that were at least partially atributed to ride off stands plus as you said tearing up bushings & bolts that hold center stands in place. I use one because I have a bad shoulder & it is very hard for me to put the bike on a stock center stand & at this point I do not want to go back. Most of the time I use the aftermarket sidestand that I installed, but without two springs on the reynolds stand it does not stay up when I hit a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    There are reasons not to use a ride-off stand. The number 1 reason is that if you use it to "ride off", it will eventually wreck the bolt threads, or more importantly the threads in the frame lugs where the bushings pivot. The number 2 reason is that it defeats the ability to have one wheel off the ground when the bike is on the center stand. On a /7, the OEM stand allows the front wheel to be elevated, but the bike is so well balanced that if you drop the rear wheel, the bike will rest on the front wheel.
    Jim

Opinions of equipment

Just because someone has a Reynolds ride off stand does not mean they the jump on and take off at 30 miles an hour.

I don't change my tire on the side of a road, and I found after 2 back operations the factory center stand was like the side stand not to my likely.

I can get the bike on the stand when I want, it is stable for the maintenance. I use a lift for valve adjustment etc. because I the height makes it much better for my back.

BMW has many things that were poorly design on the airhead. It is a great older motorcycle, but not perfect. I hope to ride mine for years, do much of the maintenance and just use tools I found make some jobs easier.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

I used Reynolds ride off stands on my first two airheads for over 200,000 miles. That was back when I was much younger, but still had bad back issues. I should have put one on my R80RT.

It was simple to put a big enough piece of 3/4 plywood (or a 1x8) under the stand for maintenance to get the rear wheel off the ground.

You might try Re-Psycle BMW Parts in Ohio for the parts you seek. I have had very good experience with them for more than 20 years. They advertise in BMWON.
    George
    K1200RS, K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5