Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paint prep, new windscreen(s)

Good info Walking Eagle. I think I made 3 templates until I matched the angle of the stock screen. I used manilla folders as template material, which would not have worked for a test ride, though I didn't have that option as the hack was apart at the time, and SWMBO wouldn't ride in it on the trailer......
    Haven't had a chance for her to test it yet as a major storm is coming through at present. If I need more height I will use your heavy cardboard trick and tape it on at different heights.
    At any rate we'll have the stocker on for the trip to Sedalia as we can bring the full top along in the trunk.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Making Holes

Success on my small project.

Tips: My Bosch jigsaw did a beautiful job of cutting the Lexan (old Harley) shield. My advice is to use a scroll blade with plenty of teeth, and EXPERIMENT with different speeds and blade-angles on scrap until you hit the sweet spot. I just used painter's tape on both sides of the material, and had NO splintering or chipping.

A disc-sander (bench style) cleaned up the curve nicely. I can't get a perfect cut with a handheld jigsaw, no matter how hard I try! YRMV. Hand-sanding the edge with progressively finer sandpaper polishes the edge very well, and you can "radius" the edge so that it looks professional.

Holes: I tried a "glass and plastic" drill bit that looks like a spear-head mounted to a shaft. . .this proved to be a VERY POOR way to drill Lexan, IMHO. This is essentially a "spade bit" and makes a scary and rough cut with plenty of "stress-risers" in the hole -- not good.

A Forstner bit, on the other hand, bores a hole that is so slick it's hard to believe, and they are perfect for this job. If you don't have a set, (got mine at Harbor Freight), you may have to go to a woodworker's store, or buy an individual bit from a woodworker supply over the internet. My opinion is that it's worth it to get one, because the hole is SO clean. A "regular" drill bit makes a nasty hole, and the ones I drilled appeared to be problems waiting to happen. Again, YRMV, but I wouldn't use a conventional bit to drill mounting holes.

Hope this helps somebody.

Walking Eagle

Glad your project worked W.E.

Had a chance to get out between storm cells this AM for a short loop. SWMBO pronounced the short wind screen as good, no problem with buffeting or additional noise. She rode without her earplugs to test it. Gonna replace it with a piece of smoke lexan for aesthetic purposes.

More surprising to me was her unasked for comment that the ride was much smoother. That alone was worth the cost of the new shocks! (although 'I' really appreciate the better handling)
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com