Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Topcase for K16GT

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    This is one BIG argument for a GIVI, in addition to the price. I also hear that the BMW case CAN NOT be easily taken off (like on my R1100RT). Probably depends on whether you have it wired in.
    http://www.amazon.com/Givi-E55NA-Max.../dp/B003O79IQ8

Tour & Ride is selling the 55 for $306. I don't have Givi topcase wired to my bikes.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

I'm very happy with the BMW large waterproof soft bag that I am using. 50 liter capacity, $175, hard tray on bottom to permit across-the-rack mounting, easy on & off.

Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

The nice thing about the K16GT top case is that it works with the central locking - just hit the key FOB and the bike's all locked up. What's not nice is that this solution costs something like $1800+ installed. I originally ordered my GT with the color matched top case but dropped it off the order before the build. I'm only going need the extra storage a couple of times a year on longer multi-day trips and will just throw on a soft bag or my old T-bag that fits just fine across the luggage rack and back seat and even gives me a little lumbar support if I lean back. I just can't see spending that kind of dough on a top case especially when I think it spoils the lines of the bike - just my opinion.

I am told the 28 liter topbox ($466) used on many R1200 boxer models work well. I inspected the rack and it looks like it will fit. My dealer also says it will work. I too do not like the behemoth of the GTL top box. I am keeping mine from my R1200ST.

Ended up taking the 28L topcase off my K1200Gt when I traded it. Had Max BMW paint the top cover to match my K1600GT. They did an amazing job matching and for a very reasonable $200. Looks great on the bike (I'll try and take a photo this weekend and post). Only downside is you will need an extra key as the box will not work with the K1600's central lock system. No big deal in my opinion.

Please ride safely!
    Peter Fiedler
    BMWOA #148776
    2012 K1600GT Grey/Silver
    2013 R1200GSW Thunder Grey

No longer a member here
    As far as referring to the central locking system as an argument for..:
    I hope all you guys who use it know, that the metal key DOES NOT override the lock function of the fob. This means, if you are out somewhere and have locked the bike with the fob, lose the fob or the batteries in it go south, you ARE STRANDED. The bike needs to be towed to the nearest dealer and have it unlocked.
    This is one reason, I keep the fobs in a safe place in my den and use the "manual" keys only. I know, it is a waste of an option feature, but.....

As far as referring to the central locking system as an argument for..:
    I hope all you guys who use it know, that the metal key DOES NOT override the lock function of the fob. This means, if you are out somewhere and have locked the bike with the fob, lose the fob or the batteries in it go south, you ARE STRANDED. The bike needs to be towed to the nearest dealer and have it unlocked.
    This is one reason, I keep the fobs in a safe place in my den and use the "manual" keys only. I know, it is a waste of an option feature, but.....
    Totally not true. There are clear instructions in the K1600 owner manual for "emergency unlocking". Look for this passage in your manual in the "Central Locking" section:

"Emergency unlocking
    If the central locking system refuses
    to unlock, you can open
    the cases, topcase and stowage
    compartments manually. The
    procedure is as follows:"
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    Totally not true.
    "
    Sorry, this is what my dealer told me. I guess his salesman needs to go to a training seminar......

No longer a member here
    As I started this thread with a question, here is the final conclusion for me, thanks to all you guys' input and detailed research at the parts counter:

The rear rack of the GT/GTL and R1200RT are identical.
    The RT topcase will fit on a GT
    So will other accessories, e.g.: the BAKUP passenger backrest for the RT

As a result, I got a backrest and installed it. For longer trips requiring more luggage capacity, I will use a RT topcase, which I aquired used for $480.- and had the lock matched to my key.
    Paint does not match, but... oh, well...
    Central locking does not work, but ..oh,well...
    Topcase does not have a rear brake light, but ...oh, well
    Due to the smaller integral backrest of the RT case, it does not look as huge as the GTL/GT accessory... oh, well..

I am all set! Again, thanks for advice and opinions

No longer a member here
    Just one more thing: I brought this up because I was of the opinion that the optional GT topcase you can order would be the same as the topcase on the GTL.
    That's why I called it an "atrocity" in my first post.
    That is not so. The optional GT topcase is actually based on the topcase for the R1200RT and significantly smaller than the GTL unit.

Just one more thing: I brought this up because I was of the opinion that the optional GT topcase you can order would be the same as the topcase on the GTL.
    That's why I called it an "atrocity" in my first post.
    That is not so. The optional GT topcase is actually based on the topcase for the R1200RT and significantly smaller than the GTL unit.
    All 3 are identical in volume, about 49 liters. The backrest pad and color are the differentiators between the GTL and GT units. Due to the difference in the standard seating from the GT to the GTL and the size of the backrest pad, the GTL case mounts a bit farther rearward.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    All 3 are identical in volume, about 49 liters. The backrest pad and color are the differentiators between the GTL and GT units. Due to the difference in the standard seating from the GT to the GTL and the size of the backrest pad, the GTL case mounts a bit farther rearward.
    Look at the difference in shape of a GT and a GTL case. They may both be 49L but are two different cases beyond the backrest pad and color.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Mike,
    Now that its done, you gotta post a pic or it didn't happen....
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 58058D View Post
    Mike,
    Now that its done, you gotta post a pic or it didn't happen....
    Will do! Waiting for a good photo op!

The 49 liter case I colormatched to fit my Piedmont Red '06 RT fit the K1600GT's rack just fine. Even the color matched so closely you can't tell it's not an exact match. The big differences were the lack of central locking for the topcase and the backpad was different. I've read of complaints that the GTL backpad was so large, though, that it interfered with holding the grab rails. Can't comment on that, but the wife likes this case j-u-u-u-st fine.

Best part was it was FREE! It's now on my new Vermillion Red GT.