Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PIAA light switch

PIAA light switch

Yep, this is the same guy who needed advice on a battery/brake light flashing problem. , but the beemer that I bought has piaa lights and for the life of me can't find a switch to turn them on/off. I asked the previous owner, and he first told me to look under the handlebars for a button type switch, but there was no switch. I called him back and he said that the thought that if you held the turn signal cancellation switch down for a few seconds this would turn the piaa lights on and off. I haven't tried this last suggestion yet because my battery is dead and the new one hasn't arrived. Any suggestions about finding the switch? Thanks!

It might be on the signal cancellation switch if you hold it in for a few seconds, for on and off. That is how mine is.

Josh, what kind of bike is yours? I'm just now in process of hooking up some piaa's, and it sounds like a great idea to hook them up this way....

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

piaa light switch

Thanks Josh. Maybe the previous owner was right! Still waiting for my Odssey PC680 battery to ship.

Ken, mine is a 02 R1150RT. I can't really give much advice on how to do it, when I bought it a couple years ago it was already hooked up. But I like how they did it, he had a dealer do it. Sorry can't help much more then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    Josh, what kind of bike is yours? I'm just now in process of hooking up some piaa's, and it sounds like a great idea to hook them up this way....

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Don't you need the AutoSwitch relay/module to do that? Have seen several bikes with that option, seems they mention an AutoSwitch
    http://www.autoswitch.com/index.php
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Try turning on the power and holding down the turn signal cancel switch until the lights come on. I have PIAAs with an Autoswitch and I wired it into the turn signal cancel switch.
    2004 R 1150 GS

Thanks for the answers you two!
    Autoswitch seems to be the answer....
    HZ it must be hard to stay humble...

Ken
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Still waiting for my Odssey PC680 battery to ship.
    Right now there is a massive battery shortage. I tried to order a battery from four different merchants. I was finally able to get one from batterymart.com. I would call your supplier and make sure it has shipped. If not, start looking for a new supplier. It took me two weeks to find a battery.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnrogers View Post
    Thanks Josh. Maybe the previous owner was right! Still waiting for my Odssey PC680 battery to ship.
    Just ping them with an email. For some reason they did not notify me either about the shipping but when I emailed during biz hours they answered right away with the waybill.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

pc680 battery

Well guys I was a bit nervous over the weekend about ordering the pc680, especially when they didn't return my phone messages; however, I received an email this past Monday(as they said I would when the battery shipped). I received a notice today from usps that the battery will be delivered tomorrow. I'm both relieved and happy that I will be able to ride Monday (I won't be back home to install it until Monday). From what I've read on forum this battery should be a good one!
    Thanks so much!

+ 1 On the PC680 battery!!! fires the old 1100 up in no time!!!

Perry
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS:

Piaa

There are two styles of Autoswitches. One uses the turn signal cancel switch (press and hold for > 1 second) and the other uses the high beam 'push to pass' button (press and hold for >1 second, but less than 3 seconds or something gnarly like that).
    My RT has Motolights triggered by the high beam flasher, and LED driving lights controlled by the turn signal cancel button.

Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    There are two styles of Autoswitches. One uses the turn signal cancel switch (press and hold for > 1 second) and the other uses the high beam 'push to pass' button (press and hold for >1 second, but less than 3 seconds or something gnarly like that).
    My RT has Motolights triggered by the high beam flasher, and LED driving lights controlled by the turn signal cancel button.
    My RT had fog lamps that turned out to be controlled by a high beam Autoswitch. P.O. had not known why they didn't work, so I replaced the bulbs and played with the switches. Eventually I found the Autoswitch wiring and the little LED status light with it. Works great now.

Then I added PIAA 1100X spotlights to the high beam circuit for flashing cages who look like they might pull out on me -- very effective! I just leave the PIA manual switch on all the time, with the white control wire tapped into a high beam wire.
    Gaston
    Battle Ground, WA
    2002 Titan Silver BMW 1150RT

Interesting that you posted this....I was about to pull the trigger on a autoswitch, but the delay has been nagging at me. I think I'm going to find an alternative that will provide "instant-on".

Ken
    -Albert Eienstein