Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm fat and I need pants

First gear

Try first gear. I bought a pair in Feb.'12 for 145 that were made in 12/11. They are baggy in the legs but an ajustable waist. I am 5'10 195 and bought the 36 waist pants that are perforated mesh with waterproff liner with armour. May not look like the European slime fit, but they are comfy and at $145, a good deal.

6'2" 310 30" inseam. First gear seems to work for me. Started at 48" in late jan. probably 3-4 weeks and I'm hoping to be down to a 44". (made a deal with my GTL that I'd drop 3lbs for every 1lb in accessories/gear I added - almost caught up after adding engine bars and highway pegs )

Good luck!

Let me repeat my earlier point--First Gear's 44 and up waist size are 33 inch inseam, so they'd need hemmed to work for the OP. I'm not sure that can be done.

4. 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up Losing Weight

+1 on losing weight. Nothing personal but I've had the same problem over the last 10 years or so. I had a perfectly good BMW Commuter Jacket and pants hanging in the closet because I was too fat to get into them. I kept looking for larger sizes without any success. Finally I started experiencing health problems that hospitalized me twice and I started on a diet at the beginning of this year. I've lost 31 pounds, my blood sugar is lower, my blood pressure is back within a normal range, my wife has stopped nagging me about my health and I feel a hundred times better. I'm back in my commuter jacket and pants too. It's all good. I have been wanting a pair of the Khaki BMW Summer 2 pants for years and this year I'll finally be able to buy some. I know there's nothing worse than a reformed anything, but your health is something to consider. My weight and blood sugar issues were in fact killing me. Hey, good luck with your search, if this is helpful....great, if not, let it go and move on, no offense intended. Don

No offense taken, If I was thin skinned I would not have called myself "fat". The fact is that for safety, I need pants NOW, faster than I could lose weight. If I have to buy new pants next year because I too thin to wear the ones I get this year, I can live with that. The cornering clinic will accept Kevlar jeans and they look like the best short term solution. MotoPort is definately on the wish list.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

One thing that you may want to consider is how well the knee/hip/thigh protectors are positioned for you when you buy "off the rack". I'm on the large size (44w) with a 29" inseam. And while I could find pants that fit in the waist, hips, and (almost) inseam, the knee protection when seated on the motorcycle wound-up more like shin-guards.

I finally ponied-up the bucks and had a custom pair of pants made for me at Motoport. Perfect fit, high quality materials, made in USA, and terrific customer service! Since I bought them, I have lost 25 lbs and will need to send them back with a check for $25 to have them taken in.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Thumbs up

Diamond Gussett Jeans make pants for 48" waists and have kevlar material in the knees and butt. The jeans are well made and comfortable.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

For Kevlar jeans I had good luck with "draggin" jeans. Fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I am 6'0" and 300 lbs . 30" inseam...
    My long lost twin!!!

Seriously though, First Gear has good pants in our size. I've worn a pair of their Mesh Tex 2.0 pants for a number of years, and another non-mesh pair for cooler weather.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I just ordered FirstGear Kathmandu Overpants from Motorcycle SuperStore. If they end up a little long in the legs I'll have to deal with it. Nothing else I have found is affordable and made in larger (fat) sizes. I passed on the HT Overpants because they seem to be only available in black (too hot, poor visibility).
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT

OK! Now that that's out of the way, you can focus on the course you needed them for! Enjoy yourself!

Signed up for May 20th, day after my 45th birthday.
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Signed up for May 20th, day after my 45th birthday.

Do let us know how you liked he course. And, best not to test the pants!
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

now a graduate of Lee Parks ARC

The Firstgear pants were the best I could do with the budjet I had. The only way I could button them would be to wear nothing underneath. I ended up leaving them unsnapped but mostly zipped up. Went to the course thinking I could ride a motorcycle, was promptly schooled to the fact that I was wrong! Through the rest of the day some eye opening skills were learned and some bad old habits were exposed. Now to practice, practice, practice what I have learned. I hung so far off my RT that my chin was about 2 inches over the handgrips (both sides). I highly recommend that everyone take Lee's course.
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT

Ed Kilner #176066

Thanks...

... For letting us know you took the course.

Seems everyone who does a course feels it was beneficial, so I will look around for one for me.

Enjoy your new skills. They probably make practice more productive.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/