Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Laser Jammers vs Radar Detectors

Good one! You owe me a keyboard! lol

Thanks for the response. That is kind of what I had deduced about laser. Opon reading about "techniques" for beating radar, I have kind of taken the stance of believing about half of what is written, after all they are usually trying to sell detectors .

I've a good friend who is a circuit judge, and lawyer who helped me to get one reduced not long ago. (he put it that the new charge was a loose nut behind the wheel) His advice was "just don't speed", which is the best advice for anyone. Especially at our age. As we get older, I think the insurence companies are just looking for a way to cancel us.

Thanks again Greenwald!
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    ...... cite you strictly based on a visual estimate of your speed......... Which detector works best for that technique?!
    My cloak of invisability, of course.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The thing is, Kevin, a good radar receiver has an excellent chance of "hearing" your radar signal long before you have visual contact, over the hill or around the bend, allowing the driver/rider to check their speed and slow down if they have to. You do rely on visual input as well as radar input to make your decision about the speed of specific vehicles. I know that.

We've gone around on this before. I was an electronic countermeasures tech with military radar in what feels like a thousand years ago and it really hasn't changed much since WWII. There is no mystery about it. LIDAR is much more precise and the frequency shifters that exist to "defeat" it are optimistic about having ideal conditions at best. I wouldn't spend a nickel on them, but I've never been tagged when using a radar receiver in 40 years. Instant on is a challenge with light traffic, but I'm legal almost all the time anyways -- and when I'm not, the radar receiver is a welcome reminder.

I will say that in the last few years, traffic law enforcement is more attuned to their radio footprint and how to minimize it and they are doing so, but that said, it is still cost effective to be aware that traffic radar is in use. I have a high profile doing 50k miles a year, and only get in trouble when I'm not paying attention or don't have the radar receiver on.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    The thing is, Kevin, a good radar receiver has an excellent chance of "hearing" your radar signal long before you have visual contact, over the hill or around the bend, allowing the driver/rider to check their speed and slow down if they have to. You do rely on visual input as well as radar input to make your decision about the speed of specific vehicles. I know that.

We've gone around on this before. I was an electronic countermeasures tech with military radar in what feels like a thousand years ago and it really hasn't changed much since WWII. There is no mystery about it. LIDAR is much more precise and the frequency shifters that exist to "defeat" it are optimistic about having ideal conditions at best. I wouldn't spend a nickel on them, but I've never been tagged when using a radar receiver in 40 years. Instant on is a challenge with light traffic, but I'm legal almost all the time anyways -- and when I'm not, the radar receiver is a welcome reminder.

I will say that in the last few years, traffic law enforcement is more attuned to their radio footprint and how to minimize it and they are doing so, but that said, it is still cost effective to be aware that traffic radar is in use. I have a high profile doing 50k miles a year, and only get in trouble when I'm not paying attention or don't have the radar receiver on.
    Tom - glad to hear you've had 40 years of avoiding "performance awards," though I suspect it has more to do with your self-admission of "..but I'm legal almost all the time anyways..." than your radar receiver.

Some of the things you refer to are quite accurate: radar used by LEO's back in the 70's and 80's was almost 'primitive' compared to today's tools. Band width so wide you could practically construct a detector out of an cylinderical oatmeal box and some tin foil and know we were in the area, not to mention inadequate training and sloppy positioning tactics. Signals today are so narrow and short that it's essentially 'line-of-sight,' just like laser. Detecting us over hills and around corners? Doubt that. You can't detect the signal we're not broadcasting until you're already in our sights, so to speak - basically trying to dodge a bullet after the gun's been fired.

50k a year sounds like it's made you a pretty safe driver, so keep up your good record and be sure to make as many of those miles on two wheels as you can manage!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 03-19-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    My cloak of invisability, of course.
    Oh yeah? OH YEAH?!

Well .................. we've got decoder rings and a secret handshake, so there.

Last citation I got was in 1982. I was not even guilty, just happened to be passed by another bike doing warp 9 on an Iowa interstate. The LEO got him and threw me in for good measure. I was speeding just before so it was probably deserved; he wrote me up for 66 in a 55. Since then I've had long chats with Troopers in CA, WY, KS and OH and was guilty as sin, but was not cited. In the last 17 years the worse I've had is an AK Trooper flashing his lights at me. I was speeding, but I assume he had more pressing business. All this without the aide of a detector. I think I'll save my money. 90% of my riding is now with Annie and we pretty much stick to the speed limits, and Kevin G. has lessened my confidence in the devices a great deal.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 03-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    I've had long chats with Troopers in CA, KS and OH and was guilty as sin, but was not cited.
    You had long chats because you actually pulled over instead of whacking the throttle and making a run for the border. Not saying it will always work in your favor, but not making the LEO chase you and by riding something that would barely be allowed on a race track let alone the street (i.e. mufflers, visible license plate, actually having a motorcycle endorsement, etc.) go a long way towards just having a chat and getting that fat speeding ticket. YMMV of course.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

The idea of owning a device designed to thwart the law sort of makes me feel like a "professional speeder" as opposed to the rider who occasionally opens it up on a lonely straightaway. Secondly, the absence of such a device does serve to slow me down. Thirdly, I imagine the LEO who stops me for speeding might be swayed by my safety gear and friendly demeanor as long as I don't have a "professional speeding device" and therefore possibly warn me instead of cite me. Finally, I haven't earned a speeding ticket in many years so I have no idea of the costs. How many tickets would I have to pay to make a radar detector cost effective?

Just consider that going not quite so fast = you'll still get where you're going, and burn less gas doing it.
    Add a "bad boy" factor of 1.5 to any points penalties and take away your ability to work it off with an on-line "driver school" (as they do with Class A CDL holders in California (regardless of the vehicle being driven at the time of citation) and driving the at or very near the limit is a no-brainer.

Finally, I haven't earned a speeding ticket in many years so I have no idea of the costs.
    In California...

VC 22349 Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the limit.b - $214
    VC 22350 Unsafe speed, 16 to 25 miles over the limit. - $328
    VC 16028(A) Failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility (insurance). - $796
    VC 22507(A) Violation of disabled parking provisions, first offense. $976 (second offense; doubled)
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thanks Lew. Very good information.

11. 03-20-2012, 04:23 AM

I too use the 'grazing' technique that Greenwald speaks of. Radar detectors are traffic cops best friend. We put out a wide indescriminate radar beam, and every throttle jockey for miles around with a detector is going the speed limit!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    I too use the 'grazing' technique that Greenwald speaks of. Radar detectors are traffic cops best friend. We put out a wide indescriminate radar beam, and every throttle jockey for miles around with a detector is going the speed limit!
    In a nutshell, that's the plan!

Only problem is - most of the people who we coaxed into safely slowing down spend time around the supper table or bar that night convinced they 'out-smarted' the cops and telling all their friends to go out a get a radar detector ASAP.

Gives new life to the myth. I really should buy stock in those companies.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Gives new life to the myth. I really should buy stock in those companies.
    Some of the same companies that sell the speed guns sell the detectors. It's like the phone company that sells caller ID and caller ID block.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Now that's just not right.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

I'll get one of these
    My son was an avionics tech on one of the Stennis's birds...I think it will jam a signal!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait