Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Key chain damage

Key chain damage

OK, so what are some things members are doing to keep the area around the ignition key from looking like it was shot peened after a few hundred miles? Obvious answer is a soft fob without any additional keys but that's not always practical. Any favorite protective solutions?
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA

I look at the scars and smile as I think of all those wonderful miles on my GS.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

Nothing is attached to my key. Problem solved.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Talmadge_W View Post
    OK, so what are some things members are doing to keep the area around the ignition key from looking like it was shot peened after a few hundred miles? Obvious answer is a soft fob without any additional keys but that's not always practical. Any favorite protective solutions?
    There are several ways to protect it but all I know of, with age and wear, discolor or also take on that shot-peened look you refer to. 3M Clear film does ok for a while.

That said; it's generally unwise to have other keys or metal key chains on BMW keys. There's a possibility that they can interfere with the EWS ring picking up the signal from the ignition key. If you don't know about this potential issue, hit the link.

This is 'THE LINK'.

If there is nothing on the key, the problem you're asking about is solved....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Zagg makes plastic screen protectors for cell phones and tablets. They claim it is made from a material designed to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades from damage by wind an debris. The stuff is a bit pricy, but I'll bet it would protect your bike from flapping keys.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I get more damage than that from bug and stone impacts. I like mine clean- it makes looking for problems and working on it easier- but I've never found a way to do many miles withoujt a bit of that showing. Even car glass windshields get chip blasted sooner or later- getting a bike through everything unscathed is impossible.

I carry a fairly fat key chain but there is little evidence of that on the bike- maybe its weight keeps it from flopping around so much that it scratches a lot of stuff? I noticed that when I used only the bike key on a ring with a couple others that they flopped a bunch in thwewind but my larger keychain does not.

I have a simple leash clip on my keys. I attach them to the key for which ever vehicle I take out of the garage. If it's one of the bikes, only the bike key is in the ignition.

Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Bicycle shops sell sheets of clear material used to cover mountain bike frames for rock protection, funny it works on motorcycles too. Can be double layered

I used a single key, no key ring on a previous bike. On the RT, I need a key ring for the separate key for the aftermarket top box and also the garage opener fob. So I am just accepting the wear, for now, since it looks like it would be an easy area to repaint. Remove eight bolts to move the handlebars out of the way, cut a slit in a plastic drop cloth or garbage bag to mask around the outside, a little tape around the switch, hit it with some semi-gloss black from an aerosol can. Or maybe some of that Rhino Liner intended for pickup beds?

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I have just two extra keys on my ring, the factory bags and my house key. While I don't have the peening problem, mine are leaving a discoloration from the keys sliding back and forth. I need to clean it all up and apply the phone film. Maybe also a short piece of bicycle inner tube to cover the extra keys, protects the triple clamp and roundel and is cheap and easy.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >132,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Left Coast Rider
    An ounce of prevention....

I only have a rubber key fob attached to my ignition key.

Fuel hose. Works like a charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

na1g
    I have my house key and a Mobil "SpeedPass" (see previous post) on a spiral-stretchy soft plastic key ring. To prevent damage, if any, aroung the keyhole I simply applied some carefully trimmed black electrical tape. Looks good, if you don't look too close. I'm sure the RT's next owner will appreciate the effort.

pete

Smile

I use a single key for the ignition. The rest of my keys are at one end of a 16" chain, the other end clipped to a "D" ring on my Diamond Gussett jeans. The chain allows me to open my front door, unlock the gas cap, open hard bags, have a spare ignition key handy, etc, and never drop/lose my keys. A belt loop can be used if you have no "D" ring.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

How about something along the line of:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43633

or

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43634

from A & S Cycles
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California