Thread: Ireland Ride and Rental Recommend?

Hybrid View

Question Ireland Ride and Rental Recommend?

Hello,
    I am headed to Ireland with my wife for our delayed honeymoon and she brought up the idea of renting a motorcycle (that is why i married a gal like that).
    She just rides as a passenger though.

I contacted Eagle Riders and Celtic Rider.Celtic Rider stopped returning my e-mails...

I am guessing we would ride for 3-4 days starting in Dublin. We don't have too much time there.

I'm curious if anybody here has:
    Ridden Ireland in early May...
    Knows how cold it may get...
    Knows of a place to rent a reliable bike, gear and maybe a GPS...

and any other tips?

Thanks in Advance.

-Josh

Earache
    Keep after Celtic Rider - I've rented from them a nd they're good but can be hard to contact at times. Paul is a great guy.

Weather: prolly gonna be 55F and rain a bit - pretty much like all summer. We rode all over Ireland for 3 weeks in May of '09 and a couple of times before and since. Great country.

For the limited amount of time like you have, I'd ride the Wicklow Mtn area and the the Ring Of Kerry area. Ansd keep towards the coasts for the best riding.

Earache
    A few piccies from various trips.....

Ring of Kerry

Average road in Ireland; narrow and not the smoothest you've ever been on...

Earache
    Reminds ya of an old Led Zep album cover, Giants Causeway...

Last edited by Earache; 03-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Earache
    We went to loads of roadside cemeteries - they're everywhere...

Earache

Pic my wife took that made into the Aerostich catalog a couple of years ago .....

Little pub we ate lunch in , out in the middle of nowhere...

Been there, done that-I agree on the head S from Dublin through Wicklows(look for Tom Selick's place) then circle the south with Cork then Kerry route and back up to Galway & back across to Dublin. For 3-4 days it will be a riding tour only but give you enough to want to go back for more. We did an 18 day circum tour on our own & that onlt hits the high spots. Expect roads with a rock wall/dense hedge on each side a very limited vision. These rural roads get kinda hairy @ rush home time as the Irish drivers don't mess around on the way to the house! The weather in May can get past 55 F but not much. Dress for rain everyday & enjoy the sun when you get it. Some really nice gardens if your into that thing. As for castles, after a few I have seen my last one up close & personal & our upcoming trip to UK will NOT! include castle stops. Really, how many does one need in a lifetime? I am one of those people that will & can eat ANYTHING!, for the most part but was not overly impressed with the food anywhere there exception being a large micro brewery in Dublin. Also had a few good pub meals but the menus have a tendency to seem very repetitious. Whereas I like to try new stuff most places(I eat street food all the time in Mexico) there it was sameo. N. Ireland is more English menu but you don't have time to go there? or are you saying the bike part only is 3-4 days?

The bike deposit has been paid. We are booked and excitedly getting ready to go.
    It will be a 3-4 day ride from Dublin.
    We can't wait...
    my concerns are:
    - being too cold (we are going to bring some ski-gear 1st layers), or possibly getting wet.
    - having enough room for my camera gear and warm clothes. (2 people, 1 bike. I'm a photographer for a living)
    - riding on the opposite side of the road.

Other then that... Guinness here we come!

Good Luck and post your experience when you come back. Ireland is on my bucket list, too.

Ireland

take a copy of "The Gaelic Letters" with you. A novel but lottsa info on Ireland as well. Great read. Ireland is a great tour. Hit the B and B's. Very nice, clean and chaheep. TR