Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Lights

Traffic Lights

Wondering if anyone has used any of the traffic light trigger devices. I have a 1200 GS, leave for work very early and sit at red lights always. Thanks for any info.

I'm waiting to get pulled over because in situations like you say (very early or very late at night) I hardly wait now. I stop, wait about 10 seconds and then run the red light unless I see a car pulling up behind me. I have tried stopping over the loop, the middle of the loop and even the corner of the loop to see which works best. Does not seem to make a difference.

I don't see why we can't sue the states! We pay our license fees and gasoline tax yet the roads are not designed for bikes. Sounds like a class action that can make a lawyer a lot of money and we'll each get about 35 cents for our troubles. LOL!

I know this doesn't help you but I understand what you are saying. Only thing I can add is that if you are alone at the light I cannot see you being found quietly of running of the light.

tsp
    Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Moving to Just Ridin' as this was discussed there before

long discussion here...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...won%27t+change

If it's the same lights on your commute.contact the local transportation dept. Most will tweak the sensors to read a bike. Some states/locales will allow a turn on red with some common sense approach.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Nickname: Droid
    Better yet, call the local road maintenance crew chief, ask to have the traffic sensor recalibrated for a motorcycle, and then offer to have your bike there to calibrate it. Then it'll be set for you, your bike, and you'll learn where is the best placement for your bike to trigger the lights.

I have one of those "rare earth" magnets on both my GSA and Vstar 950. They seem to work great. I can tell you that especially on the Vstar, it did not trigger most sensors until I installed the magnet. Fortunately for those around here, Most all new intersections as well as those being remodeled now use the cameras rather than the detector loops.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

my buddy had one on his RT.
    snake oil.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Tried one on bottom of fork, and one on skid plate. Snake oil!! 08 GSA

My advice is to wait a reasonable amount of time before 'running' a red light. And by reasonable I mean at least 3 minutes, 5 would be better. And do this every time, even at the same intersection. Johnny Law may be watching the day you dont wait, and not watching the days you do. A red light ticket can seriously affect your insurance and they are quite expensive

A 3-5 minute delay every day, if you know it is going to happen, is not worth a several hundred dollar ticket and a raise in your insurance rates, IMO!

Of course, do follow up with local agencies that are maintaining the lights.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

At most of the lights in my town it's easy to see how the wires are buried due to asphalt strip patches. Looks like a box with a line down the middle. Ride right over that middle line and it will trip the light.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The rare earth magnets do work, but only on the lights which are triggered via the wires in the pavement. The newer lights around here use some sort of photo/motion sensor mounted up near the traffic light, and those of course are not tripped by magnet. I have double waved at the latter type with some success.

I can't hear Rare Earth w/out thinking this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    The rare earth magnets do work, but only on the lights which are triggered via the wires in the pavement. The newer lights around here use some sort of photo/motion sensor mounted up near the traffic light, and those of course are not tripped by magnet. I have double waved at the latter type with some success.
    supposedly, flashing high beams at those sensors also works. have yet to need to test the theory.
    some states allow you to proceed (on a m/c) thru a red light after waiting a "reasonable" (undefined in concrete terms, unfortunately) amount of time for the light to trip, thereby treating it as a non-functioning light (or functioning stop sign). CT did, CO does not.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

On my primary route to work, I have two intersections that won't trip for a motorcycle. On Monday through Firday's it's not a problem because of all the cars. However, if I'm working Saturday or Sunday mornings, I've now resorted to a slightly modified route to bypass those two intersections.

The good news though, as of last year (July 2011) Virginia now has a red light law for motorcycles on the books. I've only had to rely on that a couple of times when I've been out and about.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

For the stops with sensors in the pavement, I have occasionally had success by shutting off and restarting the bike.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

iscream-stop
    I have had a thought but not put it together yet, If I find something that works every time, I am going to make a sliders or something for my boots to trigger the lights. Then you can simply step down on the wires.