Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Blind spot mirrors

  1. #16
    Dee G flymymbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    525
    I have something like this on my bikes:

    http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-49104-Con...1998051&sr=1-3

    Picked a pair of them up at Walgreens for less than 10 bucks.

    The mirror is convex and twists so you can adjust to whatever angle suits you best. They work great, but habits are habits, and I still twist my head around and get a quick glance.

    The link that the OP posted? They want 30$ a piece for theirs. These look like the same thing, only not so expensive.

    http://www.amazon.com/Total-2-Set-Ad...998295&sr=1-70
    Too damn many bikes to list

  2. #17
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,074
    Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    My question for all of you who DO have "blind spot" mirrors but STILL shoulder check is WHY? ... Seems to me, if you don't trust the blind spot mirrors, why have them?
    I installed 1-1/2" diameter convex mirrors on my bar ends thinking they would help out. But at the "resolution" provided they don't give a defined image of too much, so a shoulder check is still the safest.

    What they are good for is, telling me if my Krausers are still onboard.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  3. #18
    Proud Veteran SteveAikens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Clovis, NM
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    What they are good for is, telling me if my Krausers are still onboard.
    Hmm. You don't have a pair of those uber classy multi-color bungees on yours? I thought they added a special "flare" to my 74 R90.....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

  4. #19
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,074
    You don't have a pair of those uber classy multi-color bungees on yours?
    What can I say ... I'm a slave to fashion
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  5. #20
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    I use'em:)

    I've had spot mirrors on all my bikes/cars/trucks for years and years, with nothing but praise for'em. I'm almost at my 1 million miles on my bikes alone now, no accidents in any of the above. Knock on wood! The spot mirrors serve a purpose anybody should consider a "good one", never neglecting the old school, look over the shoulder idea too. They work together. I consider any of my vehicles/bikes handicapped, without the convex mirrors in place and really feel somethings missing when I drive/ride without them. Definately a valued item to have in place,imo. Randy

  6. #21
    Quanto12
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I've had spot mirrors on all my bikes/cars/trucks for years and years, with nothing but praise for'em. I'm almost at my 1 million miles on my bikes alone now, no accidents in any of the above. Knock on wood! The spot mirrors serve a purpose anybody should consider a "good one", never neglecting the old school, look over the shoulder idea too. They work together. I consider any of my vehicles/bikes handicapped, without the convex mirrors in place and really feel somethings missing when I drive/ride without them. Definately a valued item to have in place,imo. Randy
    Well said Randy! I've also been using spot mirrors for years. Personnally, my main mirrors are set for my blind spots, and use my spot mirrors for the rest,to see my passenger, my cases and vehicles behind me! And of course you should always look over your shoulders!!!

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6

    Got the Total View version, works just fine

    Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post

    The link that the OP posted? They want 30$ a piece for theirs. These look like the same thing, only not so expensive.

    http://www.amazon.com/Total-2-Set-Ad...998295&sr=1-70
    Google "Total View Blind Spot Mirror" and you can take your pick where to order them from for around $10/pair. Quality is pretty good all things considered.

    Less expensive, works for me. Posted some pics over at the other forum. Mounted them in the upper corner (where you usually just see your hands) and aimed them to cover the blind spot where cars sneak up on you.

    Stock mirrors aimed to view whatever is coming up behind me. Since the swivel mount is offset you can stick it on the top corner and have this mirror sit a little higher than the stock mirror.

    Aloha,
    Huladog

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    389
    I have MULTIVEX mirrors on my Toyota FJ Cruiser, their Custom for each vehicle, and have BMW motorcycle applications just not for the GS.
    I have e-mailed them several times asking if they would make some for the 1200GS/A
    So far no response, believe it is a rather small company
    The are the best mirrors I have ever used no blind spots whatsoever

  9. #24
    Registered User SeabeckS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GPS (Greater Puget Sound)
    Posts
    958
    I'm showing my age here...but...anyway...

    "Shoulder Check"?

    I prefer the nomenclature I first read in a Stu Munro column many years ago in Rider Magazine. Spitfire pilots during WWII learned the "Messerschmitt Twitch" to stay alive in battle...

    And I still feel like I'm in battle on the highways and byways, so I use the "Messerschmitt Twitch" faithfully.

    Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

  10. #25
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    My question for all of you who DO have "blind spot" mirrors but STILL shoulder check is WHY? (Two lanes on either side the noted exception.) Seems to me, if you don't trust the blind spot mirrors, why have them?
    I rode for three seasons with the blind spot mirrors and shoulder checks. The shoulder checks were to be certain that what I saw in the blind spot mirrors were correct. After three years of doing this, I had the confidence to trust my blind spot mirrors and my shoulder checks became less frequent. They are a great boon when driving in congested traffic when you don't really wish to take your eyes off what is happening in front of you.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland.
    Posts
    150
    I find too many mirrors distracting. And, I don't like many distractions when riding. Mirrors in particular alter your focus when they are placed in the wrong spots. So, I think most after-market mirrors are down-right dangerous. For example, when I purchased my RTP, it had 4 mirrors on it. The two after-market mirrors attached to the brake fluid and clutch fluid pools got in the way of my peripheral vision. The add on mirrors also vibrated at hwy speed. They also increased glare when riding at night. If safety is the goal, extra mirrors may actually make some riders less safe.

  12. #27
    Quanto12
    Guest
    One thing I like to add, and maybe someone already mentioned it, is that the shoulder check helps the driver in the other vehicle know that you have the intention of changing lanes, and they seam more curtious this way! I especialy noticed this on the west cost (US and Canada) the folks seams to have more respect for motorcycle over there then here in New Brunswick Canada, overall.

  13. #28
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,488

    Smile

    On my R1200RT, I have the original set of useless mirrors, the addition of the stalk-mounted mirrors normally found on a KS bike, and wide-angle (convex) little mirrors stuck to the glass of the OEM glass.

    However, none of these six mirors have anything to do with any turn, lane change or evasive maneuver I ever make.

    That's what a head-check is for - every time!

    Mirrors, as I instruct my MSF students, are simply a way to passively monitor what is going on behind you or in proximity to either side of you. They have NOTHING to do with, for example, the common maneuver of changing lanes.

    Motorcycles have blind spots and glances in mirrors never tell the whole story, so they are cautioned to never, never, ever change their position on a roadway without a head check first.

    It's the fastest way for professional instructors to spot the difference between a 'veteran' rider and an experienced rider.

    That logic has saved my butt more than once.

    Mirrors are important, but your head on a swivel is your best visual aid for safe operation.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  14. #29
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    I find too many mirrors distracting. And, I don't like many distractions when riding. Mirrors in particular alter your focus when they are placed in the wrong spots. So, I think most after-market mirrors are down-right dangerous. For example, when I purchased my RTP, it had 4 mirrors on it. The two after-market mirrors attached to the brake fluid and clutch fluid pools got in the way of my peripheral vision. The add on mirrors also vibrated at hwy speed. They also increased glare when riding at night. If safety is the goal, extra mirrors may actually make some riders less safe.
    Now this may be distracting...

    I had the added mirrors on my RT...never an issue as I used my swivel neck more than the mirrors anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,987
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Now this may be distracting...

    I had the added mirrors on my RT...never an issue as I used my swivel neck more than the mirrors anyways.
    That guy is invisible. He needs to be wearing some hi-viz gear. Some load pipes would also help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •