Thread: 99 R1100RT mystery

99 R1100RT mystery

my bike died Monday on the way to work as I hit the high way and shifted from 4th to 5th. The tach started dancing up and down. I could not refire the bike. The fuel pump engaged and all electrical appeared to be operational (starter was turning over). My father in law came down in the afternoon to start trouble shooting and it fired up. I left it in the garage Tuesday for him to take a test ride, but it rained in the morning and he didn't have time in the afternoon. I tried to ride it to work today but didn't make it more than a mile when it started to act up. I had just shifted into 4th when the tach danced. I quickly turned around and it danced once again. It died when I pulled into the left turn lane with the clutch engaged and brakes on. It fired up and I made it across the road and started up my drive when it died again just as I was pressing the brakes and clutch. I fired it up again and made it into the garage.

I'm no master mechanic (a novice mechanic may be a strecth at times) but what should I be checking for?

I bought the bike in 03' with 3,000 miles on it and it has 54,000 on it now. I have done the regular maint. on it and the bike has been trouble free until now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richkniff View Post
    my bike died Monday on the way to work as I hit the high way and shifted from 4th to 5th. The tach started dancing up and down. I could not refire the bike. The fuel pump engaged and all electrical appeared to be operational (starter was turning over). My father in law came down in the afternoon to start trouble shooting and it fired up. I left it in the garage Tuesday for him to take a test ride, but it rained in the morning and he didn't have time in the afternoon. I tried to ride it to work today but didn't make it more than a mile when it started to act up. I had just shifted into 4th when the tach danced. I quickly turned around and it danced once again. It died when I pulled into the left turn lane with the clutch engaged and brakes on. It fired up and I made it across the road and started up my drive when it died again just as I was pressing the brakes and clutch. I fired it up again and made it into the garage.

I'm no master mechanic (a novice mechanic may be a strecth at times) but what should I be checking for?

I bought the bike in 03' with 3,000 miles on it and it has 54,000 on it now. I have done the regular maint. on it and the bike has been trouble free until now.

Thanks
    I believe that more knowledgeable people than me will point you to the Hall sensor, under the alternator belt cover up front. The wiring goes.

Bouncing tach def one of the indicators of an HES issue as mentioned.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

busted alternator belt?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Thanks...how does one test and/or replace a Hall sensor

HES wiring, arcing, sending false signals to everything: tach, injectors, ignition. Humidity following the rain didn't help.

As a shortcut temporary fix find the top end of the wiring bundle. Poke a hole in the outer sheath. Spray alcohol or WD 40 into the sheath - a little, not a lot.

That will absorb the moisture and minimize the arcing for a little while.

Then you need to either get a new HES assembly or take that one out and rewire the four wires from the connections to the sensors to the plug up top.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves