Thread: Task Lights

Task Lights

I guess this is the right place to put this. . .

LIGHTING: My older eyes require very good lighting to be able to see into the crannies of my several motorcycles. A whole bunch of my "oh, s**t!" moments in the garage have been a direct result of not being able to see what I was doing, and does that feel dumb, or what?

ONE solution, which I just found at my local big box store is a new (to me) line of LED-based, battery-powered, small lights that lend themselves perfectly to working down in the dark engine room of motorcycles. The one that I have is called a Sylvania "Flute light" and has 4 bright LED lights spaced along a tubular body, 8 3/4" x 5/8". More like a piccolo, but let's not split hairs. Powered by 3 AAA batteries, and around $11. There are other styles to choose from, and they are in the Lighting Section of the store.

I've found that it's easy to prop this light where you want it, or use it with the little snap-in magnetic base, or secure it with a small bungee, tape, or any means necessary to get the light exactly where you need it. These latest LED's are brighter than the old ones, and provide sufficient light to illuminate detail, even with tri-focals.

Walking Eagle

I've been using little LED lights that fit on a headband - frees up the hands, looks where I look. I bought a cheap one on ebay and it's not that good; then I bought a Petzl and it is great. Works for bike/car repair, camping, or hiking in the woods at night looking for lost dogs...

A Petzl Tikka (or maybe it's a Tikka plus, forget the difference) has lived in my tank bag for many years. It's used when camping and it's used when working on the bike.

+1 0n the Tikka
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Anybody got the specs on the BMW LED work light? The one that connects on the BMW outlet and has a goose neck? My questions are 1) how long is the goose neck and 2) how bright or powerful is the light?

It's this light: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=59575

Thanks in advance,
    tsp
    blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Might affect your mileage somewhat.. ..

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by tsperez View Post
    Anybody got the specs on the BMW LED work light? The one that connects on the BMW outlet and has a goose neck? My questions are 1) how long is the goose neck and 2) how bright or powerful is the light?

It's this light: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=59575

Thanks in advance,
    tsp
    blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
    Wow. all that money and no roundel?
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.