Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: never gets old

I'm holding onto my airhead for me, not the next owner. I'll never meet the next owner because he will buy the bike at my estate sale.

Ub
    2005 K12S
    1986 R65, bought new.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    Yes you are correct ...no need to sully the whole province !!! My favourite story about that storm came from Theo Fluery ( Calgary Flames ) ...asked about the effect that a storm of the magnitude of the Toronto one (25 cm) would have on his area, he said that " we would say the storm just missed us !!!
    Steve
    steve now in CT
    moved from Toronto
    92 R100RS

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    22 years with my 76 R100RS, and 17+ with my 94 R1100RS, and come spring they both feel as fresh and invigorating as the first time I threw my right leg over each them and "got to know them." And yet, intstantly familiar, like an old close friend.

Been a wonderful many years with both of them, and like others here, I expect they'll only part ways with me when I part ways with this world.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Andy, you and I so many other BMW riders are in agreement. We've found the bike(s) that suit us, and we'll ride them, farkle them, and fix them until we die - or a crash takes them from us. Assuming we become rideable after the crash, we have to find a new bike love affair. That was my case. I didn't stray far from my original BMW love - another KRS.

But we have to be grateful for all those folks who buy new BMWs. Those oldies we love will not be around forever - though maybe for our life span. Maybe some of the new models will really stand the test of time. Hey, they may even be better than the old bikes we love. Time will tell, and the young with the same mind-set as us older folk will buy them when they have been proven.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Yeah, like some good buddies of mine who were lucky to find "the right" life partner for themselves, finding the right bike makes sense no matter how old it is. Right is right.

Even when I replace my 94 RS, it'll probably still be resting in the stable next to its older and newer siblings. Which very likely means it'll be another flat twin BMW.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Andy, you and I so many other BMW riders are in agreement. We've found the bike(s) that suit us, and we'll ride them, farkle them, and fix them until we die - or a crash takes them from us. Assuming we become rideable after the crash, we have to find a new bike love affair. That was my case. I didn't stray far from my original BMW love - another KRS.

But we have to be grateful for all those folks who buy new BMWs. Those oldies we love will not be around forever - though maybe for our life span. Maybe some of the new models will really stand the test of time. Hey, they may even be better than the old bikes we love. Time will tell, and the young with the same mind-set as us older folk will buy them when they have been proven.
    Well, please let another Canadian chime in here, from near Toronto...

Had a great first of season ride yesterday in 16C weather. R1200RT temp reading was as low as 11C briefly. 2011 model, bought new last Sep and my first BMW. I'm 66 and not tall. Still, it's a comfortable bike for sure.

Last year i fell into a bad habit of both legs down coming to a stop. I read a bunch over the break and resolved to stop that and it went really well yesterday. Having a new bike makes us a bit unsure, but i'm really pleased with the performance.

Have narrow hips and thought i was going to split my pelvis yesterday and sore on this rainy day. But i know a few more rides will stretch some muscles back into shape.

So, baring a return to winter, the new season has begun really well.

I hope it does for all of you too.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Good for you, and keep praticing that and you'll find stops are easy and secure with only the left foot down and rear brake control right to the end of the stop. I'm 5'-6" with almost a 30" inseam (lucky me!) and I have used the left foot down method for years. I find the bike is better stabilized when I can feather the rear brake right dow to the stop and left foot touch down. It also makes stops on hills/slopes very easy to control.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

+1 Andyvh. I know its automatic L foot down first for me, because that's the boot sole that gets worn out first!

Mike H
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

+2 Andyvh

I took me a long time to "learn" the technique, but now i can do it very well. And sometimes even stop with my left foot still hanging in the air... but usually not for too long.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

I wish my father never convinced me to sell mine. I do miss it.

After repaint

Me too, '78 R100/7;

Had her since new, Feb.'78. Mine is at 378000m, not Km's. I guess that would be around half a million Km's.. I couldn't get rid of this bike, ever. I pass someday, it goes to my Daughter who also rides BMWs. Stays in the family. Rode her across Canada, BC to Nova Scotia a few years ago, on a loop of NAmerica... VERY nice, up there! Canada treated me so very well. I understand so very well, those with old Airheads and their want to keep'em. I have newer BMWs, but none are replacements for the Airhead...All my newer bikes would go first and my old one, never. Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images