Thread: New member from Cochrane, Alberta

BlackfootDirect.com

New member from Cochrane, Alberta

Hi everyone. I currently own a 2009 F800GS and am happy to be a new member here.

While I work in the motorcycle industry I seem to spend too much time behind the desk and not enough on the bike I plan on changing that this year. This winter I finally got around to some of the mods I have been wanting to do for a while including the Ohlins fork cartridge kit, shock and a GPR stabilizer. Once I get the bike on the road and put it to the test I will provide some feedback.

Looking forward to meeting some you on the road and in the trails this summer!

Thx,
    Dean Thompson
    General Manager
    www.blackfootdirect.com

Welcome to the forum Dean. It would be good to hear how the fork cartridges and the stabilizer worked out. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Were you one of the two guys selling Schubert helmets at the Calgary show?
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck250f View Post
    Hi everyone. I currently own a 2009 F800GS and am happy to be a new member here.

While I work in the motorcycle industry I seem to spend too much time behind the desk and not enough on the bike I plan on changing that this year. This winter I finally got around to some of the mods I have been wanting to do for a while including the Ohlins fork cartridge kit, shock and a GPR stabilizer. Once I get the bike on the road and put it to the test I will provide some feedback.

Looking forward to meeting some you on the road and in the trails this summer!

Thx,
    Dean Thompson
    General Manager
    www.blackfootdirect.com

Welcome to the MOA! I hope you are able to make good on your goal of more bike time - it's always a good thing. It will be interesting to hear what all you find worth doing to your F800GS in the way of aftermarket add-ons. The right mix of things can transform a bike - it's just knowing what to do first.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Dean - welcome to the community! Love Blackfoot...I've spent a few nickels there over the years
    CanadianViking
    2009 Lava Orange K1300R

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Nice to see you here - fantastic support system here.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

On the Road

Welcome to the forum and MOA Club

Hello and glad to see you joined us Dean - many hours to be spent here for sure. The mods sound pretty impressive and i bet you will notice a significant improvement. http://www.rockybowbmw.ca/ is our Southern Alberta Club - may see you there one day.

BlackfootDirect.com

Edmonton Show

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Were you one of the two guys selling Schuberth helmets at the Calgary show?
    Yes that would have been me I was the guy WITH hair!! haha

We had a great time up there with everyone. Good way to make the winter feel a little shorter for sure.

Did you get a chance to get sized up? I just returned from the Dealer Expo show in Indianapolis a few weeks back and was able to see the new S2 and SR1 helmets from Schuberth which will be released this summer. They are awesome!

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

Thx,
    Dean Thompson
    www.blackfootdirect.com

BlackfootDirect.com

Rocky Bow BMW

Quote Originally Posted by GW View Post
    Hello and glad to see you joined us Dean - many hours to be spent here for sure. The mods sound pretty impressive and i bet you will notice a significant improvement. http://www.rockybowbmw.ca/ is our Southern Alberta Club - may see you there one day.
    I actually checked out your website the day I joined to try to learn more about the club. I actually live in Cochrane so may have to check out the rally. Could not find out much about other rides prior so maybe send me an email on some details. dean@blackfootdirect.com

Thx,
    Dean Thompson
    www.blackfootdirect.com

Hi Dean,

I know we've met a few times when I've been into your shop. I'm another 09 F800GS owner. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the shocks and damper. Both are on my list for future mods. Which Ohlins fork set up did you go with and where did you get it done?
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Welcome fellow Canuck.I showed up at Blackfoot one summer day about 15 years ago,limping on my 71 R75/5 on my way to Winnipeg.I was passed on to Dave Andersen (Anderwerks) who totally fixed me up and it was a beautiful thing. Nice piece of legacy.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Welcome, Dean.

Can you recommend a freight service to move a bike from Ontario to Calgary for me? It will have to put on a pallet and tied down. I know that your company uses Canadian Freightways, but I assume they're moving only crated bikes.

Look forward to meeting you some time.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Welcome, Dean.

Can you recommend a freight service to move a bike from Ontario to Calgary for me? It will have to put on a pallet and tied down. I know that your company uses Canadian Freightways, but I assume they're moving only crated bikes.

Look forward to meeting you some time.
    ATS shipped mine from Toronto to Vancouver. Arrived on time, undamaged and delivered to my door.

BTW, welcome Dean!

Thanks for the referral, BC1100S.

As it turns out, it's becoming a bit of a challenge to truck my new pride and joy home.

ATS would't take it because I don't have an account with them; JC Motors, who specialize in bike transport, haven't responded to my e mail request, and Caneda require me to have the bike tied down, on a pallet, before they'll touch it.

Then I remembered Neena, at Atlantic and Pacific, who shipped my late step brother's Harley to Holland a couple of years ago. I called her and she was sympathetic, told me to send her the bike's dimensions, and they will consider my request...

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by rinty; 03-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Thanks for the referral, BC1100S.

As it turns out, it's becoming a bit of a challenge to truck my new pride and joy home.

ATS would't take it because I don't have an account with them; JC Motors, who specialize in bike transport, haven't responded to my e mail request, and Caneda require me to have the bike tied down, on a pallet, before they'll touch it.

Then I remembered Neena, at Atlantic and Pacific, who shipped my late step brother's Harley to Holland a couple of years ago. I called her and she was sympathetic, told me to send her the bike's dimensions, and they will consider my request...

Stay tuned.
    Pretty soon the weather will be suitable to just fly out and ride it home.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.