Thread: Route Help - Frederick MD to Lancaster PA

Hybrid View

Route Help - Frederick MD to Lancaster PA

Hi all,

I'm heading to Lancaster PA with a friend, and I'm looking for a good route and wondering if there are any can't miss roads, covered bridges, etc. I'll be coming into Frederick on 15N. A somewhat direct route I looked at was 15 to 194 to 116 to 30 and into Lancaster. Any recommendations of what to consider or aviod are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    GH

I would avoide Route 30 as much as possible. There is nothing enjoyable there. Are you looking for a ride or just travelling from points A to B?

You will need to cross the Susquehanna. The Wrightsville Columbia bridge is a nice place to do so. In Wrightsville, the John Wright restaurant is a nice lunch stop on the river. Across the other side in Columbia is Prudhomme's Lost Cajun Kitchen. I recommend both of them.

As I recall, 216 out of Gettysburg is a nice country road running by Codurus State Park. Maybe someone from that area can comment further.

If you swing south, Route 425 along the river is a nice ride (Long Level) and there are some nice twisty sections along that route.

If you choose to cross over the river and then swing south, the River Road is a good ride. You can find that on Google Maps easily enough.

Are you looking for a ride or just travelling from points A to B?
    Primary reason is to get from A to B back to A, but I'm looking for a good ride that will accomplish that (not just the most direct route). Thanks for your input!

Steve
    Try this.