Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Airheads.org

Hmmm...can you post what the warning message is?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    You need to install the Belize version of the program.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    You need to install the Belize version of the program.
    What, no smilie with that post?
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

On my desktop computer, the ISP provided software is set to update automatically. Currently it is running McAfee Security Center 11.6.435, McAfee Virus Scan 15.6.231, McAfee Personal Firewall 12.6.186, McAfee Site Advisor 3.4.1.195.

My laptop runs Microsoft Security Essentials, also updated automatically.

I've never received any warning messages about this site on either computer.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    On my desktop computer, the ISP provided software is set to update automatically. Currently it is running McAfee Security Center 11.6.435, McAfee Virus Scan 15.6.231, McAfee Personal Firewall 12.6.186, McAfee Site Advisor 3.4.1.195.

My laptop runs Microsoft Security Essentials, also updated automatically.

I've never received any warning messages about this site on either computer.
    Get a Mac

...the Belize version...tommcgee
    This week it's the Guatamala version.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    This week it's the Guatamala version.
    So I hear and they're letting him loose.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by retpd2001 View Post
    Get a Mac
    That's what I thought till a friend of mine who is in the computer business posted this on a sailing forum when someone suggested a Mac as the solution to computer security.

"Did you perhaps forget about the Mac Flashback Trojan, from this past April, that infected 600,000 Macs?

No? How about the Mac Leapworm from 2006?
    Or the Zlob Trojan from 2007?
    Or the MacSweeper from 2008? The Mac's very first Scareware program!
    Maybe the OS/XKrowi that installed backdoors in unsuspecting users Macs in 2009?
    So, guess you never heard of OpinionSpy from 2010, that collects logins and passwords for bank accounts and whatnot?
    In 2011, Mac viruses REALLY got moving with MacDefender, MacProtector and MacSecurity.
    Good Ole MacDefender kept evolving and re-infecting Macs as fast as Apple could publish a security fix!
    Getting back to Flashback; there are no less than FOURTEEN Variants, as of last Thursday.
    Steve Jobs must be so Proud.

My favorite Trojan is the Crisis Trojan, an Equal Opportunity Malware that can infect PCs, Macs and Linux Systems, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!

Written right into the code!!

As this rant amply demonstrates, not only are Macs as prone to malware as any other platform, it has been prone to malware for over a half-dozen years and anyone who thinks Macs have "no virus's" is simply deluding themselves.
    Currently, the only suspense in my life, is from waiting to see how fast and how prevalent, malware can begin infecting smartphones. So far, all the working hacks have been theoretical, but it's literally, only a matter of time before one of them makes it into the Wild.

As I've posted on numerous occasions, the two things that all 3 major computing platforms (Win, OS/X & Linux) have in common, is that they ALL use Java and they ALL go to the Web. Get you some Java-Based Malware and get it on the Web and you have the perfect infection (Java) and the perfect carrier, (the Web) working in symbiotic harmony, to trash every computer on the Planet. "
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

I've been running both Macs and PC's for 25+ years. I've had exactly one Mac virus and that came from a floppy in 1990 or so.

All of that blue stuff in the prior message is alien to pretty much everybody who uses a Mac.

I gave my kids netbooks a few years ago when they were all the rage. Three out of four were loaded with viruses in the first hour, merely by being connected to the internet and before any of the 64 windows "security" updates had been applied. When I restored them, I applied all of the updates before I gave them back. At that point they remained okay as long as the updates were religiously applied. This was XP.

Can Macs get viruses? Of course. Do they? It's extremely rare, almost non-existent.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Tom,

Don't have time to look up all of them but here is one that I did look up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

You can decide for yourself it the claim of 600,000 user affected is correct or not.

Not being a Mac user, I don't know.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

My Norton was giving me messages yesterday - "Norton has blocked...." but it seems to be cleared up now. Sorry I didn't bother to note what the name of the attempted attack was.

Many years ago when I first got this PC, I used the McAfee security suite - and it failed to block malicious invasions three times, each time requiring me to completely wipe and re-load everything. Screw that. Norton's been issue-free.
    (I also have the free version of SuperAntiSpyWare - once in a great while that will catch something before Norton does. The free versions of SpyBot and Malwarebytes also have useful tools and do not interfere, usually.)

Verizon (phone/internet ISP) uses McAfee in their systems with dubious results; Verizon even tries to give their version of McAfee to their subscribers - they can't sell it (too well known as an inferior product). I have to wonder if Mr. McAfee was actually in league with the malware writers...

I've used several different families of systems, both at work (aerospace electronics) and at home, for over twenty-five years. Anybody who thinks their computer is immune - regardless of operating system, brand, cost, or size of the screen and number of colors - is an ostrich.

The discussion as to which platform CAN get virus attacks, or even which platform has been attacked at least seven times totally misses the point. When Apple was a very minor player on the home computer market and Windows was the almost unanimous player, lots of folks attacked Windows and didn't bother with Apple. So the threat considered by counting the number of viruses, or the number different infections clearly favored Apple.

To an extent that is still true today. But only to an extent because as Apple has expanded in market share, so has that platform's appeal as a target. When it reaches the point that smartphones become a key target, then Apple's OS is likely to attract more attacks than most any other because of the sheer number of Apple OS users. Android too. Windows Phone not so much due to the piddly number of users.

Now as soon as Win8 propogates widely to computers, tablets, and phones, guess who once again becomes a very attractive target.

Now, you can all argue about the virtues and vices of Flash. I'll go get some more popcorn, or go work on my broken motorcycle.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.

Another virus hit here

I get a repeat alert from AVG when opening any page on the forum. It is listed as

"HTML/FRAMER"

Showed up today.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

johnsr1100rt

trojan horse blocked

My Avast warning keeps going off. Whats up?

JOhn

Quote Originally Posted by toshibgood View Post
    My Avast warning keeps going off. Whats up?

JOhn
    John -

So does my Avast at home...not the work computer with McAfee. The office IT group is trying to deal with it. Possibly some outside help will be needed that has expertise with vBulletin...we have a specialized version.