Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After-market audio

Part time big shot

After-market audio

Has anyone installed a JMCB-2003 handlebar- mounted CB-Audio system?

Officer, I know nothing, and I can prove it !
    Last edited by Suvivr; 03-03-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: remove tag

"Anyone" - good heavens yes. Literally thousands of us.

What do you want to know? I'd done a few of them and run one now on my RT.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    CB is still alive? Is it still potty-mouthed?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

"sorta" still alive. But just a foul-mouthed as you'd expect in some areas. Pretty rough around a lot of truckers. Yeah, I'm talking about truckers and their language - it's true.

I use mine mainly as a mixer for the GPS, V1, ophone when I pair it - usually not and XM. About the only time I have the CB squelched off well enough to hear it is when I'm riding with someone that also has a CB and we think we have a reason to talk to each other. It also has rider/rider comms but I've never seen a need for it and now I run a fuel cell on the rear so no "nosie" from back there.

Generally, I ride alone so that is extremely rare.

Works great.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I've done a couple of group rides using FRS. That's what folks had, could be regional. CB or amateur radio into the autocom is also possible. My miles are usually solo as well.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

FRS any better than CB? What channel are folks using and about how widely is it in use?
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    FRS any better than CB? What channel are folks using and about how widely is it in use?
    FRS is FM, so the audio quality is better, but CB wins in the range department. I think we just used FRS/GMRS channel 1 in New England.

Some Goldwings and Harleys come equipped with CB, but for the rest of us, FRS is easier to plug into an autocom or whatever system you have. And it's cheap. My five year FCC license cost more than the radio, not that you need it for the FRS channels, just the GMRS ones. I haven't ever heard about enforcement, but since I'm a ham, I tend to play by the rules. I can even remember my CB callsign from the early 70's. KAGG8449.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

About what I thought. As to my old call signs [one ham, one CB] - I can't remember my phone number here at the house.

However, I can remember my first phone number - Highland 8-5149....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Part time big shot
    What do you want to know? I'd done a few of them and run one now on my RT.[/QUOTE]

I am on an '06 RT, I work for a national freight carrier, and I am alone on most of my long rides. I have one Harley friend with an Ultra equipped with a C B, and getting myself wired would be a better way to communicate -- as opposed to the old tried & true hand signals! Any " do's & don'ts " would be helpful, since I have no exper. with the Can/bus system, and would like to avoid any costly mistakes.

Officer, I know nothing, and I can prove it!

There aren't any gotcha's. Wire it direct to the battery. Easy install.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Part time big shot
    There aren't any gotcha's. Wire it direct to the battery. Easy install.
    O. K., sounds do-able. How about the antenna? On trips, I take the top case, so I don't think mounting it on the rack will work. Almost seems like the pillion handels are all thats left, and they aren't metal. I have not spoken to J & M yet, so I don't know what they might suggest. Any ideas?

Antenna is on you. For me, range means nothing in transmitting power - it's a CB, range is limited anyway. That means I can use just near any old hunk of wire to receive.

I run a small, no ground plane antenna that sits where BMW puts radio antennas on the right front of the fairing. Only good for about a quarter mile for transmitting but that works fine for me.

The antennas from J&M work very well. They have three lengths. The longest being the strongest. Any no ground plane antenna will work fine.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I run a small, no ground plane antenna that sits where BMW puts radio antennas on the right front of the fairing. Only good for about a quarter mile for transmitting but that works fine for me.
    FRS is a little better than that, especially with the 2 watt radios. Not many FRS radios have the ability to add external antenna, but some do. Still, on a group ride, I've kept the radio in the tank bag and it works fine to half a mile or so, more in the open spaces.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have a 1200gs with C3 helmet J&M hard wired audio through my helmet to a Midland GTX 5000 this is using the J&M connectors and push to talk switch along with the mount. System works very well, when communication with another quality radio range is more than a mile.

Antenna is on you. For me, range means nothing in transmitting power - it's a CB, range is limited anyway. That means I can use just near any old hunk of wire to receive.

The antennas from J&M work very well. They have three lengths. The longest being the strongest. Any no ground plane antenna will work fine.

Speaking of CBs (I don't mean to hijack your thread) Steve, I need to bring my bike by and put it on your SWR meter, I don't seem to be getting out. Thank you for reminding me.