Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: f800st fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    glad that it was not a reading comprehension issue, but upsetting that a dealer could lead him astray, with no backup from "der company".
    Part of the mystery is that I've talked with a couple of dealers who said they believed the only differences between the 2011 and 2012 F800Rs was trim and colors.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Have same problem

Hi,
    I think I have your answer. I too had the same problem. I have a 2012 f800st going on 5 weeks. I have 2,500 miles already so I have filled up quite a few times. Every time my fuel light went on I would only be able to get about 2.5 gallons or so of gasoline in the tank. I figured that the fuel strip was faulty and it was reading early. It did not seem like a big deal so I thought I would mention it to my dealer at the 6k service. Well I thought wrong. On my way to work last week it clunked out of gas just showing at 50 miles from when the light came on. A previous poster is correct you have to pull the fuel nozzle out a few times and carefully add small bits of petrol at a time to actually achieve a full tank. The fuel filling neck is a lot shorter on a motorcycle then a car so that is why you get a false fuel fill on the f800st.

Recycled Retread
    I picked up my 2012 R about 2 weeks ago, the most I have been able to get in the tank was 3.694 gallons, that was at my first fill up. The couple times after that it was less than 3.5. The bike is currently in the shop getting its run in check.

On another note, my fuel gauge reads full until there are about 120 miles on the clock, after it finally disappears it goes into the basement pretty quick and the light comes on around 160 miles. I am guessing thats due to the strange shape of the tank.

Glad I rejoined MOA, I was hear a couple years ago when I had a F650GS. Looking forward to hanging out!

Quote Originally Posted by gskate View Post
    On my way to work last week it clunked out of gas just showing at 50 miles from when the light came on. .
    How much did it take to fill the tank?
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Recycled Retread
    So 50 miles on reserve? That sounds reasonable.

Fear is the Mind Killer modarin9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    If you stick the nozzle fully into the tank and let it "clunk" off by itself that will happen.

To maximize capacity and range, park the bike on the side stand, not the centre stand. Fill quickly until the pump "clunks" off. Withdraw the nozzle some and continue filling slowly while watching the fuel trickle in, stopping when it rises above the base of the filler neck.

You'll get full capacity that way. I could regularly get a range of 350 km with my F800ST which is about 220 mi.
    This is exactly how I fill up my 07 F800St and it always gives me about a 215-220 mile range on the full tank. On a trip around Lake Michigan the computer showed 11 miles left before empty. When I filled up at the nearest station it was approximately 4 gallons. I you don't use the filling technique described above you'll get less than 200 miles per tank.

Enjoy your ride!