Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: scooter subforum!

Not yet...

A scooter subforum is an OK idea, but let's wait until the BMW scooters are actually available. In the meantime, keeping the speculation and anticipatory discussion in Motorrad will keep all of us informed about these new vehicles. Personally, I do not expect to have a scooter or to regularly follow a scooter forum, but I like having a little info to share with my scooter friends.

A Feb 21 news release:

http://bmwmcmag.com/2012/02/bmw-maxi-scooters-delayed/

Still look like mini-RT's, with adjustable windscreens and fairing upper panels
    And not a tiny wheeled "scooter" by any means
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Hey I like my "tiny wheeled" scooter, Steve.
    It's scary fun.
    Got one of the above (GT) in the "werks", long wait until what did they say, August?

Sub-forum . . . bah. FORUM Hmmmmmm!
    (oh dont get all bent out of shape im kidding)

I suspect that while some sales of these will go to current scooter owners, a fair portion will be to experienced riders of traditional motorcycles. There is a contingent of folks who want lighter and convenient with adequate power and are mature enough not to feel "threatened" by something that looks a bit scootter-ish even if it does have decent size wheels. Heck, our local club already has folks who own RTs or similar and a Vespa and come to meetings on whatever they're riding that day.
    If the regular RT/GS keeps getting taller I may want one of these myself. BMW has already designed women away from almost all of the product line by its height.
    Last edited by racer7; 03-05-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Smile

I would welcome a scooter sub-forum here on our site - it addresses a legitimate need for the exchange of ideas, knowledge and opinions for a riding-related demographic within our BMW club.

That being said, it's just my opinion here, but I'll stick with motorcycles as long as I physically can safely manipulate their controls. Besides the style and power, it's the shifting that I get a big kick out of. I've always been a "I drive the vehicle rather than the vehicle drives me" kind of guy.

Scooter operators don't place as high a premium on clutch-throttle sync, and that's OK - different strokes for different folks.

Heck - since I instruct MSF Scooter BRC's at two different locations 6 months out of every year, I often spend more annual hours on scooters than many scooter owners do.

I just prefer motorcycles.

Whatever you ride, ride safely, ATGATT and aware!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I would welcome a scooter sub-forum here on our site - it addresses a legitimate need for the exchange of ideas, knowledge and opinions for a riding-related demographic within our BMW club.

That being said, it's just my opinion here, but I'll stick with motorcycles as long as I physically can safely manipulate their controls. Besides the style and power, it's the shifting that I get a big kick out of. I've always been a "I drive the vehicle rather than the vehicle drives me" kind of guy.
    +1

I don't like scooters any more than I like cruisers. The seating position with my feet in front of me makes me feel like I've given up some control. The small wheels and CVT just add to the dislike. That said, I see them as step through cruisers which have just as much of a place in a motorcycle forum as anything else BMW makes with two wheels. Also, since there is bound to be a bunch of discussion about them, I'd tend to set up the sub-forum sooner than later. Then again, that is just me and if the mods feel that it will just put them in a position of having to move a bunch of threads every day because they are in Motorad rather than Scooters, they need to do what will make the site run the smoothest.

PAULJR
    I'm not too interested in things I can't shift myself or scooters. I was looking for a new ride about 2 years back (not a BMW) and stopped by a multi-line dealership just to find something, no, anything to get enthused about. The owner confided he found himself in the same dilema and decided to try a maxi-scooter. He and his wife prefer it to the assorted crusier, repli-racer, blah, blah blah nonsense available at this point. As musch as he recommended I try one, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am surprised this particular person even made the recommendation. Perhaps we are all dinasours. 50 years from now......

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Still look like mini-RT's, with adjustable windscreens and fairing upper panels And not a tiny wheeled "scooter" by any means
    Coolest thing about scooters always seems that you don't have to wear a very good helmet.

I guess scooters are magic and it doesn't hurt as much to fall off one.

And, will there be Akropovic exhaust?

The psychology involved is mind boggling.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    BMW has already designed women away from almost all of the product line by its height.

I don't believe that is an accurate statement. It's not a womans issue and I see a lot of women riding a lot of different models.
    It's any rider under a certain inseam that may have an issue.

Not sure what that is as the 5'7" lady rider in my household has ridden almost everything in the current lineup, including my 12RT. With the lower seat on a stock GS, she feels comfortable enough to ride that as well. She owns a K12S, R1150 & 1100R's, and a F650, and rides my R12S with ease.

She echoed my thoughts on the mini -RT look of the new offering...said it's cute
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Coolest thing about scooters always seems that you don't have to wear a very good helmet.
    Aren't those BMW helmets?
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    And, will there be Akropovic exhaust?
    YES, at least according to the brochure I picked up at the NY Motorcycle show.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Do you need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to operate one? Yes, so it's a motorcycle. Does the fact that it doesn't have a clutch lever disqualify it as a motorcycle? Well the new VFR is available with an "automatic" and it's still a motorcycle.
    That depends on the jurisdiction. In Quebec you do not need an M/C endorsement for a Can-Am Sypder nor for a trike... Small scooters are considered "mopeds" if under a certain CC.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

How would that work if you were to drive/ride out of your home jurisdiction? Would it still be ok because it was ok at home? Curious.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Do you need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to operate one? Yes, so it's a motorcycle. Does the fact that it doesn't have a clutch lever disqualify it as a motorcycle? Well the new VFR is available with an "automatic" and it's still a motorcycle.
    Wisconsin has an unfortunate loophole in that the State Legislature did not enact a "Scooter Endorsement" statute. What that translates into is that each summer, I have students enroll in the MSF Scooter Basic Rider Course. They learn to ride on machines of 50+cc that do not have the weight, rake, trail, turning radius, shifting, etc. associated with a 'motorcycle.'

Once they graduate, WI DOT grants them blanket Motorcycle Endorsement. Certainly not all, but some quickly progress (one the very next day!) to Goldwings, RR1000's, Hayabusa's, etc. and a percentage nail themselves to a tree within weeks.

They find out the hard way that scooters are not motorcycles.

Yes, there are motorcycles (Honda VFR and the FJA1300 as examples) that have automatic transmissions, but that's not what's being politely debated here.

There are handling/braking/weight/power differences between these two styles of machines that to equate them is oversimplification.

Apples and oranges - both fruit, so choose which flavor you wish to enjoy. Just don't confuse my apple with an orange.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 03-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Thanks --

Kevin nailed it in his earlier post: A lot of us really, really enjoy the hand-foot action that a 4-5-6 speed tranny offers -- the undeniable mechanicality and the magical human interface that pulls us all right into the zone. THANKS for that reminder of the basic FUNdamentals of our chosen sport.

Also, these big scooters are probably a gas, and are likely real smooooth and comfortable. Might be nice to run to the store on one of these after a 500-mile day aboard the old R100RS. . .best (blue) seat in the house, and you don't never forget you're riding a motorcycle.

Walking Eagle