Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

Actually, the wing needs to be going the other way to go faster. This way will slow you down…..

There is some stuff on the internet about them, they were made in Japan and are rebuildable. Some NOS still out there for certain bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The rear swing arm was a bit weird to align, I mean, is that really it? torque the pins to bearing setting spec, back em out then retorque to a lesser amount all to while keeping the gap on either side of the swing arm the same? I think I did it right. I feel the same about the shocks and steering. Assembly seems so antiquated in a Flintstone kind of way. I like it. I'll like it even more if I did it right. Only way to find out is to ride it, right?

I'll like it even more if I did it right. Only way to find out is to ride it, right?
    Spot on. I use a drill bit as a gauge (I don't remember what diameter); as long as it fits both sides you're cool.

Chance are, you won't feel any difference even it weren't "perfect".
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

engine in. I've got a Brown's side stand to install but there really isn't much in the way of extra threads to hold it on. Is this going to be a problem?

What I have done is modify the bracket so the shifter will clear.

I also had a problem with the exhaust hanger clamp breaking so I made a bracket to support it from the front motor mount.
    I also added a small bolt from the back side that threaded into the Brown Sidestand mount.

If you undo the nut from the right side enough so that the nut is at the end of the threads, the left side will have just the right amount of threads left when you tighten everything up.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    What I have done is modify the bracket so the shifter will clear.

I also had a problem with the exhaust hanger clamp breaking so I made a bracket to support it from the front motor mount.
    I also added a small bolt from the back side that threaded into the Brown Sidestand mount.

If you undo the nut from the right side enough so that the nut is at the end of the threads, the left side will have just the right amount of threads left when you tighten everything up.
    Thanks for the info MacGyver!
    Sweet set up you got there!

Shiny new chain ready for the cover.

After some time spent in the oven the cover accepted the frozen crank oil seal with no issues. Now where did I put that ignition sensor bolt?

There is the bird's nest in the head light casing. I started this project with the idea of avoiding this mess but the I went and purchased a new main wiring harness. I don't know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Not a task I want to begin tonight but I'm sure I'll post more on that later.

the nest

The tranny is suppose to go right in there behind the engine and in front of the swing arm. At least that's where I found it when I started this whole this project. Looks like I'm going to half the pull the swing arm back. And then realign it,,,,,again,,,,for the third time. Well if it ain't worth doing three times then it ain't worth doing once.

I think I've got that whole align the swing arm thing down pat considering I've done it three times already. If this bike rides sideways I'll be damned.
    But it's nice to see a lot of clean metal filling that ugly gap between the wheels though huh?

My partner started calling my bike "mistress' because I seem to silently drift away in the evenings and spend a lot time doing God knows what in the basement.
    I'm beginning to see her point.
    Look how hot she is! (i mean the bike, but my partner ain't bad neither)

I lost a bet with my partner and had to wear this ridiculous lip scarf all day. So I just spent the day in the basement!

Thats my son Emmett. He's checking the specs on the rebuild heads that just arrived from Dan at Cycle Works in KS. New exhaust valves and that over baked carbon casserole is all gone! The valve seats were pitted a little bit. Dan said that instead of replacement they could be trimmed. Saved me about $100.
    The rings needed replacing so that stalled the cylinders and pistons from arriving with the heads. That little package of man jewelry should arrive in about a week. I'm really looking forward to finishing up the engine.

Yes, those are little motorcycles on his shirt. You gotta start 'em early.