Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

That's a lovely, bright, room, made even nicer with a bit of industrial art.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

So I'm getting copious amounts of white smoke coming out of the pipes upon initial crank and turn over. Then, when I give the engine some revs, it slowly dies down. The smoke is inconsistent as it will almost always appear on a cold start and only sometimes appear on a warm crank. As a whole the bike is running great.
    Any suggestions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.

BTW, after spending $200 for the ignition timing to be tweaked by the dealer, I learned how to do it myself when I installed new points. It took a while to wrap my head around gapping the points then whether it needed retarding or advancing but I finally got it.

Cool

Awesome job on a beautiful bike! I need something like this to play with. :-)

Great project!!!

Great story. Many good miles to you and your mistress

Regards,

Will

Quote Originally Posted by barrettnjones View Post
    So I'm getting copious amounts of white smoke coming out of the pipes upon initial crank and turn over. Then, when I give the engine some revs, it slowly dies down. The smoke is inconsistent as it will almost always appear on a cold start and only sometimes appear on a warm crank. As a whole the bike is running great.
    Any suggestions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.

BTW, after spending $200 for the ignition timing to be tweaked by the dealer, I learned how to do it myself when I installed new points. It took a while to wrap my head around gapping the points then whether it needed retarding or advancing but I finally got it.
    Not sure you worked out your white smoke scenario, and how many miles you have put on the engine to seat rings (I read your entire story but don't remember how your cylinder bores were treated). Many will have vast knowledge I'm sure on this subject here, but it can be oil based smoke, if you also note a haze on decal that almost clinches it. I've found intake valve guide to stem clearance can be a factor for this.
    Your project sure turned out nicely, hope you enjoy it as much as it looks good.
    Lorne.

I Don't know if anyone told you about bmw twins will sometimes smoke if parked on the side stand over night. I enjoyed your journey with the restoration.
    Ride safe and often.
    Don
    Don Mitchell