Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canyon Dancer Bar Harness - good??

Rob - I agree

BMW uses more aluminum in the bikes than other manufacturers - that same pressure on a bike using a steel clamp on the handlebars would probably not have had this problem.

Anyhow I agree, if the Canyon Dancer had been deployed with a lot less pressue there wouldn't have been a problem.

I used a Canyon Dancer when I last moved. It did what it was supposed to do, I had no damage to the bike /6. I snugged the machine down without going crazy with it. Permitting the suspension to function to a restricted degree worked well.

I rode the lake Champlain ferry to and from the second Vermont rally that was held in Essex Junction. No tie downs were used, the bikes were loaded first, parked with side stand deployed & transmission in gear. I kept my eye on the machine & thus the others & at no time did I see any of them move in such a way as to worry me. The lake was active but not to any great degree. Bikes were unloaded first as well.

I would suggest that you should concentrate more on the technique needed for riding a motorcycle on a smooth and sometimes wet steel deck and ramps that have a very low coefficient of friction.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post

I would suggest that you should concentrate more on the technique needed for riding a motorcycle on a smooth and sometimes wet steel deck and ramps that have a very low coefficient of friction.
    Yes, that is an important warning. Thank you.

I am grateful to all posters so far. A variety of pros and cons have been stated, which is to be expected.

I have looked at other threads, which was suggested, and studied the photos which were informative.

Looks like a strap for the sidestand would be a good idea, since it must remain deployed. If the bike is in gear, that should not be a poblem, but a strap is pretty reassuring, simple, and cheap.

I'll keep looking at the bike and try to source some strap extenders that i can keep clean and stay clear of tupperware.

Might still get the Canyon Dancer, but will ensure gentle fork compression only if they are used. I'm thinking i might attach these after the crew does their thing, just as a precaution, but i do find it interesting that there are lots of comments that say " don't sweat too much over ferry travel ".

It is an adventure...
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/