Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Dancer Bar Harness - good??

Ed Kilner #176066

Canyon Dancer Bar Harness - good??

My June trip may have me on as many as 5 ferries. The Canyon Dancer harness across the bars looks like it will keep tie-downs away from my 1200RT's plastic...

Anybody use them? Are they worth getting?

Also interested in the methods used on these ferries:

Lake Express across Lake Michigan
    Local Seattle Ferry
    Port Angeles ferry to Victoria
    Island to BC ferries
    Chi Chi Maun ferry from Manitoulin island

Any advice welcome.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I believe BMW's recommendation is to put a soft loop around the lower fork legs, being careful not to bend a brake line. That's what I did when transporting my RT.
    Dan

Smile Ferry Crossings

I have just used a couple of straps with loops at both ends to keep my bike safe from the hardware on the ship tiedowns. I loop them around the fork legs and kept any buckles etc away from my faring. (K1100RS) They are cheap and don't take much travel space since I like to camp and travel very light. Bob

RK Ryder
    Lots of recent information to found on securing your bike on this recent thread.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ighlight=ferry
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I used a Canyon Dancer on my F800ST for the Lake Express ferry. Several months later the heated grips started to delaminate with the outer skin separating from the heating elements. I don't know if there was a correlation, but I wouldn't use a Canyon Dancer again on heated grips.

Best to use the process from the owner's manual, mentioned above.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

na1g
    I've carried a Canyon Dancer harness for years as an emergency tie-down. Otherwise, it makes an excellent secondary tie-down to add a level of stability side to side. But be careful not to crank too much force into the harness. There have been reports of bending the handlebars (a friend did that to his ST1300) Otherwise the CD harness is a nicely designed, easy to use, well made item. The newer model has hard plastic cuffs that reportedly protect the grips and grip heaters.

pete

Getting lost...
    The Canyon Dancer has never been the recommendation of choice for BMW's.

As mentioned, you'll want to use the forklegs and the rear frame under the sidecases. Be careful of clearance with the sidecases.

Strap the front first, then the rear. I took the Lake Express using this method without issue -

http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf

I use a Canyon dancer with the plastic cups on my 05 RT. It works fine. The key is to not clamp down and compress the forks. The bike should be able to "dance" and move around on the forks. Use just enough force to hold it from falling over, maybe an inch of compression on the forks.

That being said, the alternate methods are great, too.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

'Forgiven'
    I also use the Canyon dancer..but that isn't very often. This system is always with me in case of a break down..the towing kind.

If used properly...very simple and efficient way of tie down.

I would buy this product again.
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

I never tie down using the handlebars except just for stability on my lift. I never do it when lurching stresses might be applied. You can get away with it if you have stout steel bars and attach the tie downs as close to the center of the bars as possible. Tying to the fork legs is a much stouter and better solution in my opinion.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Paul has stated his Canyon Dancer concerns many times. It was due to his opinion that I bought some harbor freight chocks for my trailer. These drive on chocks hold the bike so firmly by the wheel that tie downs are more for back up than anything else. I know this doesn't help for a ferry ride, but good chocks are a great investment for a trailer.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

they're tough on heated grips.

I assume you mean the fabric one, not the new plastic cup type. The plastic cup is good for heated grips, assuming again you don't go crazy on the tension.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Yeah -

I had to have my old K100 towed and the tow truck driver used one.

He cranked down the tension so hard that he spun the bars on the clamp and managed to damage the turn signal switch.

Never again.

Yep, that's the issue. People cranking down on the bike and compressing the forks. Until I got the new wheel chock for my trailer, my bike danced around on the trailer, being held pretty firmly in the rear and just lightly up front with the Canyon Dancer.

I often see people, with or without the Dancer, just mercilessly cranking down on the front end, compressing the forks. I used to say something, try to offer some advice and warning, but people do what they want to do.

Damage to the bike is more instructive!

My point here is to not blame the Canyon Dancer, but rather the truck driver who used it improperly. The instructions very clearly warn against this over tightening.

If you strip a bolt by cross threading it, you can't blame the wrench you use!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350