Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: looking for a new bike

JoeDabbs
    Consider the factory lowered R1200RT. My buddy (who rides a Harley DynaGlide) has a very short inseam and was very impressed with the bike. He could flat foot it with ease. The RT doesn't weigh a whole lot, perhaps 100 or so lbs. over my /6.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Lots of great input, thanks.

I am going to the dealership to test ride an R1200R tomorrow. I'm leaning in one of two directions, either the lowered R12R, or potentially a C650GT in the fall. I cancelled my russell day long saddle order for the connie, it's just too tall already.

I'm trying to talk myself into the idea that a 650cc scooter might not be terrible on the highway. That's probably dumb. The G was OK, pretty fun, but didn't really have the power or the weight to be all that good. I probably just need 2 bikes, one for commuting and one for touring. Can't really swing that though.

There is a 2007 burgman exec 650 for sale here in philadelphia that I am going to try to take a look at though.

Fun process. Wish I were a Rockefeller.
    "The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."
    --Randy Pausch
    (2011 C14 6500m) | (2009 G650GS - 20,135m) | (Suzuki GZ250) | (Honda 250 twin)

Jump

My only comment would be going from a Concours to any kind of a scooter would be one heck of a big jump. I would think the research you are doing on the mid size bikes is the route to go. A scooter is still a scooter no matter what size.
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

My wife is scheduled to get the first c650sport whenever it finally comes ashore at long beach BMW not your grandmothers scooters, these will be a hot ticket item. Sat on one at the long beach show impressive

As someone who has fought the same battle

that you are going through, (I'm 5'5" and 29" inseam), i think that i can add something to the discussion.

My first question is what kind of riding do you want to do? The F650GS twin is a great bike that probably is more like the riding position that you are looking for. Add some saddle bags and you can tour pretty comfortably on it and get wonderful gas mileage to boot.

If you are really set on traction control (not sure why BTW), then the scooter is a decent choice, but doubt that you will be as comfortable on the roads less traveled.

If you are interested in more touring, i would go with the R1200R. The BMW Roadsters are wonderful bikes. Any of them... the R1100R, the R1150R, or the R1200R. With a windshield and saddlebags, they can take you just about anywhere that you might want to go... and some places where it has no good reason to be.

Hope that helps.

sdc
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Riding Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    Lots of great input, thanks.

I am going to the dealership to test ride an R1200R tomorrow. I'm leaning in one of two directions, either the lowered R12R, or potentially a C650GT in the fall. I cancelled my russell day long saddle order for the connie, it's just too tall already.

I'm trying to talk myself into the idea that a 650cc scooter might not be terrible on the highway. That's probably dumb. The G was OK, pretty fun, but didn't really have the power or the weight to be all that good. I probably just need 2 bikes, one for commuting and one for touring. Can't really swing that though.

There is a 2007 burgman exec 650 for sale here in philadelphia that I am going to try to take a look at though.

Fun process. Wish I were a Rockefeller.
    My short riding buddy & I are riding thru Philadephia in April on our way to the Gettysburg Getaway Weekend. If you are still undecided by then, perhaps we can meet as we ride thru & you can try on our R1200Rs?

I took a test drive on a R1200R this afternoon. Sweet bike, but I don't think it's for me. I didn't really realize how much wind protection the conny has beyond the windscreen until I rode the R. I've been able to ride all winter without being too too cold.

I guess that means waiting for the C650GT to come out. I look at that model as a great little brother to the F650GS and the F800ST. It has all the features I want (except TC) at a price that's within reach. Looks good on paper anyway, hopefully I'll get a chance to ride one this year.

I got an email from a friend who rides endurance rallies on scooters. Very encouraging, allaying my fear of not being able to do distances on that type of bike.

Unfortunately patience was never one of my strong suits!
    "The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."
    --Randy Pausch
    (2011 C14 6500m) | (2009 G650GS - 20,135m) | (Suzuki GZ250) | (Honda 250 twin)

Smile

Look outside the box and try the Triumph 800 triple.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    I guess that means waiting for the C650GT to come out. I look at that model as a great little brother to the F650GS and the F800ST. It has all the features I want (except TC) at a price that's within reach.
    actually, it does have Traction Control. it's called NAHMPOOAOH on this bike- short for "not a huge motor pumping out outrageous amounts of horsepower". I suspect it will do that job just fine.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    it's called NAHMPOOAOH on this bike- short for "not a huge motor pumping out outrageous amounts of horsepower.
    Is this a bikerfish-ism?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Just try it

I had a Burgman for 5 years and loved it! I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. The cable release for the seat broke and that was the only problem I had the entire time. IMO, if they could get people to drive one and stop worrying about looking macho, they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I almost bought a Honda Silverwing last year that a friend bought and apparently forgot how to ride. He turned it over in less than 50 miles and injured himself without putting a scratch on the scooter. I did some research and found it weighed more than my R80 and used more gas. They were rated at 45 MPG but according to a forum, they frequently got less. The only problem with them was the frequent (10-15K) replacement of the CVT belt that cost about $130 uninstalled.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

GIZMO
    If you are set on BMW, the 800ST would be worth a look and try. If you are considering other brands, you might check out the Honda NT700V. It has shaft drive, ABS and adjustable windscreen, kind of a mini RT, something BMW should be building.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    If you are set on BMW, the 800ST would be worth a look and try. If you are considering other brands, you might check out the Honda NT700V. It has shaft drive, ABS and adjustable windscreen, kind of a mini RT, something BMW should be building.

Agreed... until then, my '93K75RT is a most reasonable alternative :-) Shaft drive, ABS, windscreen/fairing and a "real" RT! 50mpg average.
    Carl

'93 K75RT

+1

this has been brought up often. Too bad that BMW doesn't listen. Instead they build these huge luxo barges.... I don't get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......