Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: call ahead! Cycles not welcome!

No bikes wanted at private campground in Myrtle Beach SC

Nice pictures, hope you still had a fine honeymoon.

Many years ago I wanted to camp at a campground (well known franchise) in Myrtle Beach and had the same experience. The R90S was on a flatbed trailer behind my brand new motorhome. The guard at the front gate said no bikes allowed.

I was allowed to rent a campsite but I had to park the bike by the front gate and was not allowed to ride to my campsite or park it there.

No amount of friendly discussion, references to BMW not the other brand etc. made any difference.

The State Park down the road was cheaper and had no problems with the bike.

That was in 1987 so I can only hope that things have improved since then, I stopped using that franchise of campgrounds after that.

That was the only incident of bike discrimination I remember.

BTW to reach the warm south from Ontario I have to trailer.

Carl

Interesting Carl. BTW you can mention brand-names here... there's only one well-known campground with mulitple locations I've ever heard of (KOA) and I've heard nothing but good about them welcoming motorcyclists. I'm going to call one of them today in fact about staying there on a weekend trip I'm doing this month.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The Veg
    Interesting Carl. BTW you can mention brand-names here... there's only one well-known campground with mulitple locations I've ever heard of (KOA) and I've heard nothing but good about them welcoming motorcyclists. I'm going to call one of them today in fact about staying there on a weekend trip I'm doing this month.
    I've stayed at the KOA near Parry Sound, Ont. a number of times. Once they were all full but when they learned it was just me, my motorcycle and my bivy and I wasn't gonna be hanging at camp all day they gave me a square of grass behind the office/showers to set-up. I think they even charged me less. I was caught in a storm once and called to say I'd grabbed a motel room and woulde be there the following day. They did not charge me for that night. On the other hand I called to book two nights at a KOA near Mohawk, NY a few days before then cancelled a short time later and they charged me 1/2. Guess they needed the money.

We did find some locals to be friendly
    Attached Images Attached Images

That place sucks.

But you guys totally rock!

Congratulations!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

USERNAME
    the shot of the two of you on the bike is excellent. photo of the week stuff!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Very cool photos.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Sly, maybe you should get a telelever, then you're front end won't be so SQUIRRELY !!

And congrats !!

Tim

The Old Sheldon Church

In 1976 when we lived on James Island and Seabrook was just starting to be ruined we took the Norton over the see the place. Same thing. They said that because some kids on dirt bikes had cut-up a golf green bikes were no longer allowed. They didn't have an answer when I asked about Jeeps and the like.
    Around 1983/4 I heard that Malcom Forbes and some of his guys had just returned from a motorcycle trip through China (including the forbibben city) and were heading to his newly purchased (without ever visiting it)house on Seabrook and were also turned back! They said he had a fit and demanded his money back because if he could ride his Harley through China he would damn well ride it to his house in SC! Didn't work.
    Around here in Greenville the private communities will not allow non-residents to enter on bikes but if you own property it's ok. After listining to the too loud Harley's and then the Corvette club cross Paris Mtn. on their little get-togethers I can see why. Just one reason the Princess and I are glad we live on the North side of the mountain and well off the main road.
    Also, The Marchant Co. told me they cannot resrtict just one brand so we all suffer.
    Thank you 1%ers.

MTBATP

DTOR
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC 1923
    I'm no lawyer (by any means) but I'm pretty sure this isn't legal.

What if I were a property owner and a motorcycle was my sole means of transportation? I mean people can regulate noise levels (loud pipes) and off-road vehicles, vehicles that weigh too much, etc., but not legitimate means of transportation.

If someone would take this to court, I think it would be winnable.
    A property owner/motorcyclist in a planned community somewhere in SoCal took the community to court over this exact issue. He lost.

My very favorite BMW Accessories My wife

umm, is there CE armor in that wedding dress??
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Very cool photos.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride