Thread: Concerns about buying K1600GT the first year

Hybrid View

DJimmy

Concerns about buying K1600GT the first year

I am very interested in the K1600GT. I am also nervous about buying any vehicle, bike, car, truck, the first year it is available. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the new GT?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjimmy View Post
    I am very interested in the K1600GT. I am also nervous about buying any vehicle, bike, car, truck, the first year it is available. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the new GT?
    I have a GTL. The K16 has its first-year problems (although, IMO, fewer than "normal").

Simple choice: enjoy the bike now with all its flaws, or wait until 2013, by which time 1/2 the flaws will be gone (or 2014 for 3/4 flaws, etc).

I chose the former, expecting problems, and thus was mentally prepared to deal with them. It helps that I have other bikes I can ride if/when there's a issue.

YMMV.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

I took delivery of my K16GT early January and now with nearly 1,000 miles on it, it is flawless with one exception - there's an audio system on the bike that includes an iPod interface that doesn't work. If that will ruin the experience for you then wait to own what is the most amazing machine on two wheels. I still can't believe the level of performance and comfort of this bike. The experience just keeps getting better the longer I ride it.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    with one exception - there's an audio system on the bike that includes an iPod interface that doesn't work. If that will ruin the experience for you then wait to own what is the most
    Rumor has it there should be a firmware fix for the iPod issue in the next month or so. In the meantime, a USB flash drive works fine, giving 80% of the functionality/convenience of the iPod/iPhone.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Rumor has it there should be a firmware fix for the iPod issue in the next month or so. In the meantime, a USB flash drive works fine, giving 80% of the functionality/convenience of the iPod/iPhone.
    I've heard that rumor as well but I'm not sure I believe it. It's my wild guess that this problem will require a swap out of the Alpine radio to fix it.

My buddy has a K16GTL and loves it. I bought a 2005 R12RT, and that had a LOT of first year issues. All of those issues were resolved to my satisfaction, and I love the bike, now with 60k miles

I agree with the previous poster. Enjoy it now, or wait. If you have a good bike now, waiting is not a big deal. If you don't, waiting is hard!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Horatio124
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjimmy View Post
    Check out my posting today... K1600GT Oil Leak
    Michael