Thread: Helmet Shield Sun Protection for the Face?

Helmet Shield Sun Protection for the Face?

What is the best helmet shield for protecting ones face from sun damage?
    I know there are great options for eye sun protection but I am talking about face protection in terms of potential skin cancer. I have had skin cancer issues for years and years, not necessarily related to motorcycle riding as I had these issues even before I started riding. I use a full face helmet and use sun block on my face, especially nose, several times a day when riding. Is a silver mirror shield a lot better than a tinted shield, etc.? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

What brand of helmet? Some shield have UV protection already. The mirrored shields do not specifically address UV light.

HJC are 95% UV protective

You can also check this article on WebBikeWorld
    08 F800ST, 07 R1200RT
    blog
    - Owen

I was talking to my optomotrist about this and he was able to test the shield on my Nolan and it was close to 100% uv blocking. Which surprised me, but I was happy to hear. So maybe you could check at one of the places that makes glasses and see if they could test your shields for you.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

My helmet is a HJC IS MAX BT. It is brand new. This model has the HJC-17 series shield.
    It has the clear shield with the tinted sun shield that will come down as well (I do not like the shield that comes down inside the regular shield as it comes too close to my nose. Maybe I will get use to it).
    When you mentioned that the HJC shields are 95% UV blockage, is that for clear shields as well or for the tinted and/or silver mirror? Thanks.

uv face shield protection

The big problem with all of this UV stuff is what exactly does UV protected mean. There are 3 types A-B-C. Helmet manufactures should specify, if they really can, which the shield protects against and what the actual percentage is.

I have no idea if this is the case, but I am led to believe B is the worst.If you need protection, that is the big booger. Supposedly any plastic or glass takes care of A. If that is true, then any clear plastic shield could claim 95% or whatever, and it would only be A, which doesn't really address the issue.

If anyone is knowledgable, your post would be appreciated.

In response to this thread, I did a quick internet search on the subject. My interpretation may not be correct, but it appears that virtually all clear plastics inherently block 95-100% of UV rays. Some interesting reading at Wikipedia was my source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

Concerning the inner visor on your helmet....does your system allow multiple set points? My HJC Symax 2 did.
    Scott
    2004 K1200LT
    Munising,Michigan
    www.smitchellphotography.com

UV Blockers

Attached seems to indicate you need more than a clear face shield for the more damaging UV protection.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=111541

Quote Originally Posted by gharnden View Post
    What is the best helmet shield for protecting ones face from sun damage?
    I know there are great options for eye sun protection but I am talking about face protection in terms of potential skin cancer. I have had skin cancer issues for years and years, not necessarily related to motorcycle riding as I had these issues even before I started riding. I use a full face helmet and use sun block on my face, especially nose, several times a day when riding. Is a silver mirror shield a lot better than a tinted shield, etc.? Any input would greatly be appreciated.
    I have also had cancer problems. Got skin cancer on the temple area. That migrated to my parotid gland and led to neck dissection.

I was wearing half helmet (Harley rider) and was getting pre-cancerous growths regularly and like you the nose was the worst.

Since I got a Nolan N-90 with the flip down sun visor, I have had far fewer of the growths. My nose is so much better; haven't had problems with the nose since I got that helmet. I still get the growths but I think they are from old skin damage.

If you want to see the neck dissection pics, http://lnmiller.com/Treatment.htm
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Can you use a Dremel or whatever to make a cutout for your nose? Some brands have alternate drop down shields designed with that.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Most of the sheilds will be labelled for UV protection, but always worth a check. With my wife a dermatopathologist (reads skin biopsies), I would recommend also using some sunscreen on your nose/cheeks for long rides regardless of the shield protection. This coming from the guy who has to lather skin protection on at the beach while under the shade of a beach umbrella
    "It's not the speed of the ride that scares me....it's how quick I stop!"

97' R 1100 RT "Ruby II"
    13' R 1200 GSA Triple Black