Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fan

  1. #1
    Jammess jammess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florence, OR.
    Posts
    668

    Fan

    Take the air intake hose off your shop vac then position the vac in front of your m/c with the exhaust pointed at the bike. This makes a pretty good cooling fan whilst you diddle.
    Last edited by Semper_Fi; 02-18-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Jammess

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Diamondhead, MS
    Posts
    1,054
    What did you say ? I can't hear you !
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,285
    What? Why not a Wally World box fan? My shop vac emits warm air & even though it's a big one, mounted on a 30 gallon barrel, it doesn't come close to a cheapo fan for air movement,sorry I don't like your idea very much...

  4. #4
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    4,025
    Warm air? Fill the vac with ice.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  5. #5
    Jammess jammess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florence, OR.
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    What? Why not a Wally World box fan? My shop vac emits warm air & even though it's a big one, mounted on a 30 gallon barrel, it doesn't come close to a cheapo fan for air movement,sorry I don't like your idea very much...
    Buy a new shop vac, sounds like you could use one.
    Jammess

  6. #6
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Red100RT View Post
    Buy a new shop vac, sounds like you could use one.
    The guy from KY is correct on this one. A ShopVac is designed to develop significant suction and moves a relatively small volume of air. The box fan moves lots of air but with little rise rise. The shopVac product that will meet the challenge is this one:

    Shop-Vac 3-Speed High Velocity Fan, Lowe's Item #: 302420 | Model #: 1030111.

    Or, you could visit your local HVAC contractor and ask for a scrap furnace blower from one of his recent installs. Make sure you get one of the 110V versions and add a power cord. That should provide an adequate air flow.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,285
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Warm air? Fill the vac with ice.
    You could have said "mice" as they sometimes crawl in mine...

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Red100RT View Post
    Buy a new shop vac, sounds like you could use one.
    If you saw mine you'd want it. It will suck up anything, even stuff you don't want it too. Like other good machines no longer mfg. Came from Iowa ~1974.
    I think Harbor Freight sells a Chinese shop fan too.
    FWIW, On Shark Tank(it's on ABC TV to you non believers) they told this guy from NC that based on his unwillingness to mfg this( neat looking!!!) folding ladder rack in China , that he could take a flying jump-literally ran him out of the room!Said his "stiffness was his weakness" Very next person in the room has an equally good idea & also wants to mfg in USA only & they climb all over the idea. Guess who had the biggest bazzokas?
    Hint of the day: for a great shop vac-go to Greiners industrial supply or similar and buy a vac motor designed to go on your container and mount in a small barrel & put it on wheels for that sized barrel

  9. #9
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    6,090
    Whe I was running an asbestos removing crew for the electric utility, we had something like this one...it really sucked seriously sucked!Three motors!

    http://www.aircleaners.com/item_description.php?IID=331
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  10. #10
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    If you saw mine you'd want it. It will suck up anything, even stuff you don't want it too. Like other good machines no longer mfg. Came from Iowa ~1974.
    I think Harbor Freight sells a Chinese shop fan too.
    FWIW, On Shark Tank(it's on ABC TV to you non believers) they told this guy from NC that based on his unwillingness to mfg this( neat looking!!!) folding ladder rack in China , that he could take a flying jump-literally ran him out of the room!Said his "stiffness was his weakness" Very next person in the room has an equally good idea & also wants to mfg in USA only & they climb all over the idea. Guess who had the biggest bazzokas?
    Hint of the day: for a great shop vac-go to Greiners industrial supply or similar and buy a vac motor designed to go on your container and mount in a small barrel & put it on wheels for that sized barrel
    You mean something like these Cincinnati Fan or the similar Dayton two stage machines?

    http://www.cincinnatifan.com/catalog...ors108-sls.pdf

    They're excellent for industrial applications that require chip clean-up and they're quieter than a vacuum.

    If you want an industrial vacuum, you can still buy barrel top vacuum units from ShopVac Inc. (Williamsport, PA - 40 miles from Bloomsburg & home of Little League Baseball).

    In any event, using a vacuum as a fan is pretty inefficient. But, if you really like that approach, may I suggest that you mount your air compressor upstream of the engine, set the tank pressure at maximum and lock the nozzle open. That should consume a nice about of electricity to deliver a modest amount of volumteric flow. However, you can be impressed by the noise and the pressure.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  11. #11
    Geoxman KJ6OCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Trinity County, Calif.
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Or, you could visit your local HVAC contractor and ask for a scrap furnace blower from one of his recent installs. Make sure you get one of the 110V versions and add a power cord. That should provide an adequate air flow.

    This is a good solution. I made a shop air cleaner (sawdust, etc.) from one, and yes it moves a lot of air. Can probably get it for free or very cheap. However, you will need to mount it in a box and you will need to neck down the outlet of the box. These blowers are designed to work against a static pressure. Simply reduce the area of the outlet in the box until the motor draws the amps that are listed on the motor nameplate. Failure to do this could result in a fire.

    Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

  12. #12
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Fisher View Post
    This is a good solution. I made a shop air cleaner (sawdust, etc.) from one, and yes it moves a lot of air. Can probably get it for free or very cheap. However, you will need to mount it in a box and you will need to neck down the outlet of the box. These blowers are designed to work against a static pressure. Simply reduce the area of the outlet in the box until the motor draws the amps that are listed on the motor nameplate. Failure to do this could result in a fire.
    Karl,

    Can you send me, or direct me to, any information on the fire hazard. I'm not a HVAC specialist, but I do use the units in air clean applications (similar (if not exactly) to what you describe). In my world (i.e., pumps), free delivery is typically a low power draw condition.

    Thanks,

    Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •