Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great things at Rallies

Great things at Rallies

You know, I'm getting sick of all the negatives being thrown around right now about Bloomsburg, the heat, rally times and locations, hotel rooms, price of beer, yadda yadda yadda. It seems there's a plethora of Bitchin' Moanin' and Whinin' going on. So this thread is about the great things and fantastic experiences you've had at a National Rally.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

I posted some of my great Redmond experience inside post #116 of this thread:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...t=54725&page=8
    Here's a couple more:

While at Redmond I took a day trip to Silverton, OR and got to go through an original Frank Lloyd Wright designed residence that's still open to the public. An outstanding tour for lovers of architecture.
    http://www.thegordonhouse.org/

One afternoon while walking the Redmond grounds up the path comes a guy riding a nice blue and yellow K1. I flag him down, and start talking about his bike because I love K1's. We talk for a couple of minutes, he hands me his card. Greg Feeler, President, BMWMOA. So I'm all "You're the man. You must be really busy. I better let you go." He said no, and we proceeded to talk about his bike, my bike, the rally and other stuff before I shoo'd him away. Class act. Thanks, Greg.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    The complaints about the rally in Bloomsburg has been mostly about the heat. That is the one thing that was not within the control of the MOA. If the weather had been the average for that week or the rally been in the weeks before or the weeks after, it would not have been an issue.

I have only been to about a dozen RA & MOA rallies but this one was the best planned and executed one I have attended. Most things went smoothly and the need for water due to the heat was handled quickly and well. The availability of dorms and shuttle busses made the rally an affordable and comfortable event for me.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I remember a starlit sky walking back to my tent after closing the beer garden. Utter peace, still quiet and feeling so very safe so far from home all by myself.

And the sadness at leaving 6,000 of my closest friends when I hit the road back home the next morning.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I think it is the friends I have made at MOA Rallies over the last 30 plus years.
    Saturday night at the stage after all the work is done, is wonderful.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

i love having the ability to buy just the right combination of accessories to do what you're wanting to do without having to go to four different web sites, pay four different shipping bills and finding out that not all four things fit together on your bike quite right.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Meeting Win. Founder/Owner of Bike.cushion http://www.facebook.com/pages/BikeCu...C/252967246562
    he really saved my a**. 3000+ painless miles.

Making new friends and the whole reason for going to the Rally in the first place
    PAUL THORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angysdad
    I my 'regular life', I run around non-stop. The heat at the rally forced me to slow down. I spent most of my time sitting in the shade drinking water and other liquids. I had not been able to unwind in this way for quite sometime. Chatted with folks passing by, had a great, relaxing time.
    The heat made it all possible.
    Thank you National Weather Service and MOA!

Thumbs up

At Bloomsburg the people, venders, food, and the opportunity to ride over 2k miles to/from the Rally.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Talking

At Bloomsburg the people, venders, food.......

I'll second that.........and on a hot and sunny afternoon......I had a chance meeting with the "LADY IN RED"........always nice to place a face with a name.....

.......yes it was overly warm at Bloomsburg......but.....as I can recall not as warm as backpacking through the Mojave desert in June......
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

--Meeting good friends old and new
    --Great volunteers, always cheerful and helpful
    --Finding interesting new roads and places enroute and at the rally

rsslark

Smile

Bloomsburg was my first rally and I had a great time. See ya in Missouri!

Going for breakfast at a diner and seeing a mix of regulars and rally-goers. People working hard for the enjoyment of others and not complaining.

People making the best of things.

Regardless of other things was the rally a good one. Yes. Will it be a memorable one. Absolutely.

Keep it positive. Too much negative going around.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

All the USA;

I think 90% of the USA was hot that week, so what can you say! Any rally sure beats the alternative, staying home, going to work, chores around the homestead and so on. My GSA and me had the time of our life, meeting so many other like minded nuts, getting all messed up offroad. We had a HOOT! Randy

RK Ryder
    Yes it was hot, but as Randy says, so was most of the continent. At the rally, I met up with friends from afar and made new friends. It was a ball volunteering at registration, setting up rally decorations and asking folks to donate to Challenge 2011. As well, there were seminars, excellent entertainment and scores vendors who provided me with many farkles to take home. Food was plentiful, with a variety of menus at reasonable prices. There was even porter beer for sale and homemade ice cream. The rain was limited to a brief, but torrential downpour on the Tuesday afternoon which slowed some of the setup but did not interfere with rally activities. Showers were always available with very short wait times.

So what if it was warm since you were with almost another 7,000 like-minded riding comrades?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333