Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Camping Stuff

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    I've heard that about Walmart, Home Depot and a few others. That what looks like the same product is actually made cheaper. Might be true, might be urban legend and could also be becuae the big chains buy in bulk at huge discounts. Maybe the manufactures dump their sub-par products in bulk.
    Actually they are probably all really similiar products, it is expensive for manufacturers to make lots of different products, however to simply repackage something is relatively easy and is a great sales & marketing tool. Think about all of the "we will match any price" protection items, however how often can you actually match model numbers across the major retailers? The exact same product is simply rebadged to allow this practice.

Yes, there are some manufacturers that will grade their products, but that is typically done on more small run products, cause after all how does one grade a tent quality during the build?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Eureka

I have owned the same Eureka Timberline tent for 25 years. I have camped in this tent in some of the worst weather imaginable. On one occation this tent withstood a 60 mph wind and rain and kept everything completely dry. The Timberline is a fantastic tent.

Camping Gear tip

One invaluable tip I learned from an old Airhead friend is;

All my camping gear goes into a large side opening duffelbag. My sleeping bag, tent, air mattress, stove etc. The tent is stuffed in, a preferred way similar to a sail, it all fits neatly and just today I took everything out to check, like I do a couple of times a year.

Then when I am packing the bike to leave for camping, I simply attach the duffelbag to the rear rack, use the hard bags for clothes and food and I am off.

I'm with bklyn pete on the use of a cot ..when I travel all the itis bros. come along,arthur,burs,tendon...also my go-kot has never deflated on me

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sibek
    One invaluable tip I learned from an old Airhead friend is;

All my camping gear goes into a large side opening duffelbag. My sleeping bag, tent, air mattress, stove etc. The tent is stuffed in, a preferred way similar to a sail, it all fits neatly and just today I took everything out to check, like I do a couple of times a year.

Then when I am packing the bike to leave for camping, I simply attach the duffelbag to the rear rack, use the hard bags for clothes and food and I am off.
    One thing I learned was to keep stuff that might be wet seperate from stuff that should never be wet. This is really important on trips where you might camp in several locations. Therefore my cot, sleeping bag, pillow and thermarest are in one waterproof bag. While my tent and ground clothes are in a seperate bag. If your tent is wet from rain or dew it doesn't help to pack it with your sleeping bag or pillow.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    This sounds like a good lead-in for Helen2Wheels packing philosophy. Check out her site, lots of good info there.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    [/I've heard that about Walmart, Home Depot and a few others. That what looks like the same product is actually made cheaper. Might be true, might be urban legend and could also be becuae the big chains buy in bulk at huge discounts. Maybe the manufactures dump their sub-par products in bulk.]
    I called Coleman customer service several years ago and asked about this. I was told that Coleman made a line for mass merchandisers which was manufactured with lighter sheet metal, etc. to sell at a lower price point. She also told me how to identify the mass market items and the "premium" line. I went to a Sports Authority and there was no mistaking the differences when you could compare the items side by side.

The customer service rep also told me that Coleman had licensed their name and trademark to Walmart for textile items and sleeping bags, tents, etc. were not actually Coleman products if purchased at Walmart.

Walked through a Walmart the other day and noticed the Coleman name by it's relative absence. Maybe Coleman has decided to go back to being a premium quality manufacturer?

Thumbs up

In the summer we use some CHEAP foam blankets that compress to almost nothing! Our tent is a Coleman "back-pack" that weighs 4 lbs. and fits in a 5"X10" cylinder. We trimmed a pair of military insulation pads to fit the bottom of the tent. The only problem is the tent is SMALL, but it cost only $55.00 at Sports Authority and we don't spend a lot of time in it except to sleep. Good luck.

MTBATP

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    Yes, I can and I usually set mine up before I set up the tent, that way other people will help with setting up the tent.

Actually a visit to REI or Cabela's or any sporting goods store is a good start. The one plus I will give you about getting "backpacking" or "hiking" tents is that they pack well. I know that I can fit my three person tent in the left saddlebag of my RT with the ground cloth, and a stove and coffee pot.

What Brad said. REI, for example, has some excellent tents that pack light and small and are a bargain to boot (if you consider <$200 a bargain).

Eureka I found it!

Geoff (and y'all), OK here's my 2 cents for a read/review on a tent.

I have a Eureka "Backcountry" tent (earlier model then the new version).

I like this model because it packs in the saddlebag (aluminum poles and all)... That's a great option for me. The aluminimum poles are much better then the fiberglass poles. I have been in some nasty storms with no leakage. Camp Dry is good stuff. This tent has been very good to excellent for the past 5 years. The only problem I have is the sealer on floor seams is coming up. I will be calling Eureka on this issue. I will post results and future research. Remember this: You get what you pay for.

Here are some links from the Eureka! Tent Company site:

Main Site: www.eurekacamping.com

Check out the Factory Outlet section (looks like a keeper): www.eurekacampingctr.com/special_sales.html

Tent spec table: www.eurekatent.com/spectable.asp Set up and PACKED DIMENSIONS

Internet Sales links: www.eurekatent.com/ondeal.asp This is a good list of links for your camping needs.
    Last edited by CG John; 04-27-2005 at 08:03 AM.
    Enjoy, CG John
    P.S. Florida does have 4 seasons;
    Early, Late, This and Next Summer.
    I don't need to go fast... I just need to keep going

Quote Originally Posted by knary
    What Brad said. REI, for example, has some excellent tents that pack light and small and are a bargain to boot (if you consider <$200 a bargain).

Actually, the REI model my son's Boy Scout troop used costs $99 and with a larger fly including vestibules it's $129. You can also find Kelty's at the same price. Don't forget to check ebay. They often sell new old stock there.

Rally Rat
    WOW! Thanks for all of the great tips! Looks like I'd better get shopping!

Just went to Campmor and bought another thermarest for half the price of what it is at my local camping store! The bag for it was one third the price!

P.S. It came in ONE DAY for a flat shipping charge.
    Last edited by MarkF; 04-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Lightbulb Price and Product Comparison Sites

Here are several Price Comparison and Product Rating sites.
    This should help you with product research and purchasing items online:

www.bizrate.com (This one has a Good Product Comparison option)

www.shopzilla.com (Good for Pricing)

www.pricegrabber.com

This one is good for searching just about anything: www.snap.com Just type in the box in the top left corner of the page to narrow your search. Its like a search engine for search engines for products. Imagine that (I just found this one and have not used it much, but it looks pretty good to me)

I like to read some product reviews before spending my fun tickets.

"The night was dark & the sky were blue. Down a alley where I swang & flew.
    Hit a bump & somebody scream, You shoulda heard justa what I seen" -Who Do You Love- G.T.
    CLEVELand Rocks
    Enjoy, CG John
    P.S. Florida does have 4 seasons;
    Early, Late, This and Next Summer.
    I don't need to go fast... I just need to keep going

I use a L.L. Bean 2-person dome tent that costs $99 new with fiberglass poles. It is incredibly easy to set up, very good quality, and guaranteed for life. They also have a Discovery Camping Set which includes: Camp Pack Pillow, Pathfinder Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad, Camp Bag, Cotton-Blend-Lined 40??, #2 Dome Tents. That costs $159 and will give you everything you need in case you want to go camping.
    Chace
    "The immortals are gone. Now we are the immortals."
    -T. Robbins