Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BMW incurs 3 million dollar penalty

This is what is going on in America today. Hate the rich, big banks, big government, the 99%, the 1 % blah blah blah.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

this is headed down that muddy trail ,be careful.

Is it raining everywhere today
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Even Ducati has it's issues...from Mika's Bench Racing thread yesterday. A NHSTA safety recall on certain 2011 & 2012 models due to fuel lines that came out on the 18th...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...furl=rss]NHTSA Campaign ID no. 12V053000
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In my past life being elite was a good thing. It conveyed being special, exceptional, the best; folks aspired to be elite. I'd be happy being known as elite. Would you not want an elite surgeon to perform an operation on your brain; an elite security force protecting your loved ones; or and elite technician working on your beloved BMW motorcycle. Not everyone can be elite and sometimes that irritates the snot out of some of those that just can't make it. Come on now, let's all do our best to be elite. But as almost all of us know, owning a BMW does not put one any further down the road to achieving elite status then it does to own a six pack of Bud.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

JM1200GT
    My "elite" bike is the biggest most expensive piece of crap I've ever owned. The K1200GT, what an abomination. So many inherent problems, no wonder they canned the model. I've owned 26 bikes over the period of 40 years and this is the only one I've had one problem after another. I came to this brand because of everything I've always heard about quality and reliability. When the chance to finally own my "Dream Bike" came, I jumped on it. Well, it's been the biggest disappointing motorcycle I've ever dealt with in those 40 years. Now I'm unsure of the brand in general and can't recommend it to anyone based on my personal experience. Good on you guys who have had good luck with yours, and I hope you enjoy more good luck in the future. As for me, this bike will get traded as soon as I can afford it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to trade- or pay another $1500 bill like I just did- for some time to come, so "just get rid of it" is not an option right now. I can honestly tell you that I feel duped by the "premium brand" advertising and I honestly feel a bit of animosity. Again, I'm sorry if I ruffle some feathers, but that is the unfortunate experience I've had.

No problems with the Vintage Beemers

jus sayin.

I've bought 3 BMWs over a short span of just a few years, all of them "vintage" bikes. My "other" bikes are vintage British motorcycles. I like both style and function in a machine, and perhaps also simplicity.

Would I buy a new BMW? Definitely not. I'm not trying so much to further the brand as I am just to own some great bikes that I get pleasure from riding. My 1988 K100 RS and my 1993 R100 RS, I wouldn't hesitate to ride anywhere. Both were made for touring, (though admittedly in a sportier manner) and at +/- 50K on either clock, I feel comfortable loading them up and taking off. Each bike represents either the end or the beginning of an era in BMW's history. Will I "upgrade" to perhaps a newer model at some point? I wouldn't rule it out. If and when I DO buy an newer model, however, it will be after having done some good research on the model I'm considering, and hopefully the bike will have been gone thru by its previous owner, and whatever known issues will have been taken care of.

Yes, I like the BMW "brand". What it represents to me is a long history of making solid motorcycles that are good for the long haul, and that's the reason I bought mine to begin with- reliability, comfort, and distance. It makes no sense (as in "dollars and cents") to me personally, to spend lots of money on something that has many known problems, especially when there are still so many great older bikes out there, none of which are known for much more than their ability to go incredible distances with very few problems. As a bonus, you log extra style points along the way.

PS-

I don't typically log lots of miles on freeways or interstate hiways. IF I were to plan a trip on such roads, the K100 would be my bike of choice- as such, I DO tend to look at it as my "commuter", when it's possible to use it in that capacity.